Monday, March 19, 2012

Stuck



I think the title of this blog probably says it all.

I'm stuck.

Until I started writing this post, I was spending my morning looking at a blinking cursor, hating it for mocking me with its ever ready readiness and willingness to get down all those brilliant thoughts I have.

Or had.

I can't say I've had any for a while now.

Except that I did just think about my need for cake. Or cookies. Or some kind of cake-like cookies. Cake-like cookies are always brilliant.

I wish I could bake. Actually, no. I more wish I still had friends nearby who would be willing to bake for me. A couple years ago, TheHeather made me some cookies that were just perfect. All right, so she made them for my mother's holiday cookie party but they were so good, I may have decided to keep them for myself. May have, mind you. This is all just speculation.

Now I'm looking for the recipe for those cookies because I'm sure I have it somewhere. Why I need to find it, I'm not sure as all I'll be able to do with it is fan myself or get a paper cut. It doesn't seem to matter, however, because all I'm finding are my recipes for Sangria, Southern Comfort Slush and Brandy slush. Wow. This blog really does, on occasion, make me sound like a complete lush, doesn't it? Please know that I'm not. I haven't had any alcohol since my two day hangover following TheHeather's bachelorette party last August.

That's right. I said a two day hangover. And the second day, I had to go to The Store. They were amused. I was not.

Live and learn, kids.

But, once again, I'm digressing. I know, I know. What else is new?

It's just that if I'm not blogging, I'll be back to staring at that stupid judgmental cursor (yes, it is possible I am assigning some traits to the cursor that may not actually be there) and beating myself up over the fact that I'm not done with this thing yet.

Here's a current shot of my storyboard:



Each stupid little post-it is something else I need to fix. Then there are the four pages of highlighted notes on things that need attention. I thought I could go and do some of the easier ones, just so I could be working on something and toward something while letting the bigger problems sort themselves out in the back of my brain, but as it turns out, THERE ARE NO EASIER ONES. I did all of those already. All the rest involve the tearing apart of scenes and the idea of doing that is just so damn scary that I'm daydreaming about cake like cookies instead of working the damn problem.

Which is me, isn't it? I am the damn problem. I always have been. I need to stop looking at the big picture and just focus on one post-it at a time and in any other arena of my life, I can do this just fine, just not here.

If this book were writing itself, it'd be done already. If someone else were writing this book, it'd be done already. But
unfortunately for this book, it got stuck with me. If I can't get my act together soon, I imagine my characters shall stage a mutiny and go in search of some other author.

When they do, I hope they find Joss Whedon.


25 comments:

  1. I think a board like that would scare me.
    Two-day hangover sounds painful. I learned my lesson a long, long time ago. During my twenty-first birthday. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, now I'm jonesing for a whoopie pie...

    And I have to disagree. If I were writing that book, it still wouldn't be done. I'm having writing issues, too, and they sound similar to yours.

    Don't stress. Perhaps you need a break from that book. Time to work on something else for a little while. It could help;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd bake you cookies if you lived nearby. I make killer chocolate chip ones. : )

    As for being stuck, I understand how you feel. I like to take a step back, look around, then dive back in. You are the problem (or me, seeing how I'm speaking from experience). But once I remove myself from it all, I find a solution...usually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really get how you're feeling right now. It happens to me all the time, and then the inspiration snaps into place when I'm least expecting it. All I do know, is staring at a flashing cursor is not the answer. Go and bake your cake, and when you're half-way through with flour all over your hands, inspiration will strike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That giant dog looks comfy! :)

    "If this book were writing itself, it'd be done already. If someone else were writing this book, it'd be done already. But unfortunately for this book, it got stuck with me."

    I can completely and utterly relate to that right now ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww! I know how you feel about the story problems. It's hard to focus on one thing. Good luck with it, and I'm in awe of your storyboard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, Joss Whedon.

    Maybe the task seems to overwhelming? I get stuck if I look at the big picture. I break it down into bite-sized pieces. It helps.

    Maye there should be such a think as a cookie cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely layout, complete w/guard dog!
    i think you have a case of the procrasties. step away from the blank screen, make easy bake cookies & eat them as a treat for finishing a sticky =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're hilarious!

    I had to put a project away for a year before I could bear to face it again. I wanted everyone in it to die, or like you said - I was waiting for them all to go mutiny on me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that story board is impressive and intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. **hugs** Hang in there, you can do it! I've been procrastinating my own assignment too... That was okay a week ago. I had nine days to get it done. Now, Wednesday is two days away, and that's not nearly as many days. Must. Start.

    OR... I could keep reading blogs. Yes. I will do that.

    Jo
    In Which We Start Anew

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, Melissa. I can relate. I hate my project right now too. I have for what feels like a year now. Email me if you want to brainstorm. I will gladly put aside my non productive story to talk shop with you. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your big, big story board. Something like that would drive Sweetman insane.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh. I think that board would intimidate me. Wow. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maybe a break is in order. When I have trouble writing, I stay away from it. Then I start feeling guilty, and I let it build until it forces me to be creative. Don't even look at the board (which is impressive by the way). I'm sure you'll get through it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Got to love er regret those two-day hangovers.

    That is one helluva storyboard. Me, I have a spiral notebook that looks like a Jackson Pollack painting once I'm through with a story.

    Good luck with your judgmental blinking cursor.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is the dog part of the story board?

    Sorry, it's too early for me to have anything more intelligent than that to say.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That board would intimidate me too!! Hang in there and eat a few cookies! ;) You'll figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. good luck!!! Maybe it will just write itself?!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I feel that way right now about my current WIP. Sometimes it is so overwhelming I can't look at it. Other times, I try to focus on the little "post-its."

    Hang in there. You will finish. Just like I will!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Damn. I'm glad we're not in the same writing group, we'd end up arguing about who's having a tougher time. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was intrigued by your photo of your story board. Looks pretty neat! I am a big fan of Joss Whedon's writing so I was thrilled by your reference to his writing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, Joss Whedon... <3

    I have to agree that the cursor is most easily the most judgmental part of the computer. Just sayin'.

    If it makes you feel any better, at least you know you're not being productive. I convince myself that editing the character profiles in Scrivener is honestly helping me be productive in some way... It's not. I'd be better off thinking about cookies.

    ReplyDelete