Thursday, March 1, 2012

In Which I Review Books (February 2012)

I know you've all just been dying to know what I read in February. So here it is... some of my reviews this month, I'll admit, are much shorter than usual but I promise you'll still know on what side of the fence I am.

Juliet Immortal- Stacey Jay- A very interesting take on the Romeo and Juliet story. The cover is gorgeous and the first chapter made me swoon. I did think after that the story dragged in parts but overall, it’s really pretty good and makes me want to read the sequel when it’s released.

Seductive As Flame- Susan Johnson- Yep. Another formula following romance novel. I’m brain dead, I tell you, brain dead.

Catch Me- Lisa Gardner- Her latest D.D. Warren novel. A lot of this book read like a who’s who of Gardner novels as many of her past characters put in a cameo appearance here. I’m never one to mind cameo appearances. I always got a kick out of it when Robert B. Parker did it but this particular novel with four characters from previous novels felt like too much. Curious too to know why Bobby Dodge was nowhere to be found. Everyone else got to pop in to say hi, why not him? Anyway, the mystery is pretty good. I was a little worried early on. I read the book jacket blurb and thought, “Didn’t I see this on an episode of Monk?” But it turned out to be pretty interesting. I thought I knew whodunit early on but boy, was I wrong. Overall, I always enjoy Gardner’s novels. Not to sound condescending or anything (after all I am an unpublished nobody), but I think she’s come a long way as a storyteller.

The Name Of The Star- Maureen Johnson- An interesting book with an interesting premise. I saw a lot of things coming but it was still a good read that made me want to move to London to fight ghosts.

Shotgun Gravy- Chuck Wendig- A novella not for the faint of heart. I love Chuck Wendig. His writing consistently makes me laugh until I can’t breath but I did not love this story. I wanted to, I really did, but I just couldn’t. I don’t know if I’ll bother reading the next one but, let’s face it, I probably will.

Fever- Lauren DeStefano- The second book in the Chemical Garden trilogy. I really enjoyed the first novel, Wither, and so I was looking forward to reading this story. And I was kind of bored for the first half. I wasn’t invested in the characters or what they were doing. I’ve never really been a huge Gabriel fan and while Maddie is very interesting, she didn’t really seem to serve a lot of purpose (hope that changes in the third book) The second half was more interesting and left off without having really resolved anything so now I find myself in need of the third novel. Let’s hope this series stays a trilogy unlike certain other YA novels…

With Or Without You- Brian Farry- YA contemporary not for the faint of heart. It tackles some serious stuff and more than once just left me slack jawed and a little devastated. This is a very good, very intense read. I worried about the main character so much it made my stomach hurt.

Trail of the Spellmans- Lisa Lutz- (WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS...SO DON'T READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T YET READ THE BOOK. WENDY, I MEAN YOU!) First off, Isabel Spellman, I do believe I am your biggest sentence-enhancer fan. Second of all, while I am very glad to know that I can now date Henry Stone (apologizes to my own significant other...), I am so sad that he and Isabel have broken up. That development weighed down my enjoyment of the book because I really do love these characters. That said, the rest of the book is zany sentence enhancing (you’d get that part if you read the book) goodness. It made me laugh and then laugh some more. I need another one. Now.


And that's all she read. I guess that makes it time to check in on the "Yearly Goal-o-meter"...

Goal for the year: 60 books
Books read in February: 8
Books read in Previous Months: 10
Books remaining to reach goal: 42

7 comments:

  1. Wow, you are way ahead of your goal!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was bound to get one of them right. Law of averages and all that. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome job!
    and thanks for telling it true! hate when i read a crit that just wants to be nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! THanks for these reviews. I have to add these titles to my ever growing TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. damn. I forgot to request the Spellman book from the library. Guess I know my next stop on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked Gardner's books with Bobby Dodge but I'm so-so about the DD Warren books.
    You have a good start on your reading goal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Tara- I don't think I could ever be accused of just wanting to be nice. =)

    @Nutschell- That is the worst part about reading book reviews. The TBR list getting that much taller.

    @Matryoshka- I'll bring my copy down for you to borrow if you want.

    @Susan- I'm super surprised Bobby Dodge getting get a cameo. I mean, out of all those people, he's an actual friend of D.D.'s and he didn't get a mention? Weird.

    ReplyDelete