Monday, February 27, 2012

I Have Been Remiss


Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again but I just wouldn't be me if I wasn't running at least a day late and a dollar short. So maybe I should be taking comfort in the fact that I am, if nothing else, crazy consistent. But I'm not. I don't know what it is about me that makes me so damn incapable of staying on top of life and getting things done in a timely manner but as soon as I figure it out, I am going to stomp on it with some steel toed boots. (Note to self: get some steel toed boots.)

So yeah. I'm running behind. You may be wondering in what exactly I'm running behind but you know what? It doesn't matter. Picking something— anything— and I'm running behind it. And we all know what a terrible runner I am.

Take this blog, for example. I've been neglecting it terribly and this particular post? I started it last week. I meant to post this last Wednesday. Got the first paragraph done and then got distracted by... zombies. Yeah, zombies. It was definitely zombies. It wasn't solitaire or online book shopping, that's for sure. It was zombies and you can't ignore zombies. Not if you want to keep your brains in tact and while mine may not seem like such an awesome set, they're still the only brains I have.

Fear that.

I'm still behind in Effigy edits. I wanted the whole thing to be done by the end of January. And now, here it is, the end of February and I'm not there yet. I like to think I'm getting closer but I don't think even I could drink that much kool-aid.

I'm behind in blogging. Already mentioned this in a previous paragraph but I'm so far behind, it's worth mentioning twice. Not only have I not posted anything, I haven't made the rounds to other people's blogs. I completely missed the first Writers Campaign Challenge. Oops. I'm also behind with email so if you sent me an email that's waiting on a response, I swear I'll get back to you soon. Probably.

I'm behind with the housework. I can't seem to find my kitchen counter anymore. That probably means it's time to do some dishes. That, or move. Or, as my brother suggested, invite my sister-in-law up for the weekend and get her drunk. For those of you who are not sure what this means, giving my sister-in-law a wine cooler or two is a sure fire way to get her to clean and reorganize your life. Just ask my pantry. I bet with a six-pack, I could get her to tackle the basement...

So yeah. I'm falling behind. I'm so far behind I'm pretty sure I'm about to get lapped by my list of goals. But because I am a glutton for punishment dedicated, I'm not giving up. So here are my goals for the week:

1. Effigy needs three new scenes. Write them.

2. Complete three thirty minute work outs.

3. Give Big a belly rub every day. (I need a goal I know I will, without fail, accomplish.)

4. Find the kitchen counter. Whatever.

So what's on your To-Do list this week?

11 comments:

  1. I'm a terrible runner, too. : )
    Have fun catching up on your writing and housework!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who needs a clean house?
    And if you're behind on everything then I really appreciate you stopping by my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make it to Chapter 20 with my revisions! If I stay on task...I will be finished next week and can send this beast off to the editor on time. Sadly...I have to finish chapter 14, 15 and 16 today in order to make that happen.

    See...you aren't the only one behind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been me the last two weeks. I'm chasing everything from behind right now. The only no-brainer is letting the house stay a mess another week while I get caught up. I mean, who's going to notice one more layer of mess at this point? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a kitchen counter! I'm so envious. According to the way the rest of my family uses what's in my kitchen, we have horizontal trash storage platforms.

    You know, you could always treat your dishes the way one of my college roommates treated his clothes: just go buy new ones. When those are dirty, repeat. Basically, never wash anything, just go buy new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Emily- Oh yes, I imagine catching up on housework will be amazingly fun. With luck, the writing part will counteract the effects...

    @Alex- I need a clean house. All right, maybe not a clean house but a cleaner house at any rate.

    @Bonnie- I never assume I'm the only one behind but I never wish it on others. Good luck with your revisions!!

    @L.G.- It's true about the layers of mess. Maybe I'll just let it pile up a bit more.

    @Andrew- I do remember the kitchen counter from the day we moved into the place. My current plan to avoid this mess in the future involves take out. And a lot of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that you can get caught up soon. Having that pressure of always being behind must be stressful. I don't want my friend to be stressed. You should sit down...take a load off, and be comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes the view from behind is better. Um. Hum. That doesn't sound right. ;)

    I need to get all my critiques from my first two chapters and synopsis back this week so I can finally send them to agents who require those in addition to queries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a good idea to make manageable goals. And then if you don't achieve them, remind yourself that you tried, and don't sweat it.

    Perhaps that's why I rarely get anything done...

    Good luck with your to do list. Mine looks like it's going to get pushed to next week. Right now I need a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Forget about the housework. It's not going anywhere. You can always catch it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so far behind I can't remember if I lost a horse or found a rope.

    I will gladly buy some Bartles and James for a reorganized closet or two. Send her over!

    And those damn zombies never let up. It's a wonder anything gets done when they're around.

    Keep on keeping on and be sure to give an extra rub to Big's belly for me.

    ReplyDelete