Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Fight or Flight


It's the end of February which means there's likely a bunch of musicians scrambling to to put the final touches on their 35 minute albums. If you have no idea what I'm talking about right now, welcome to The Man's life... But seriously, February is the RPM Challenge (think NaNoWriMo but for musicians. Read about it HERE) month and today it ends. The last I knew, my friend Mike was well on his way to completing said challenge. This includes the song "Fight or Flight", a song for which I wrote the lyrics. I haven't heard this song yet. This time last year I'd listened to multiple takes of Maelstrom but I haven't heard one note's worth this year.

Don't know what's up with that, Mike. (HINT. HINT.)

But what I can do for you is share the lyrics I wrote for this year's album. Whoa there, everyone! Please try to contain your groans excitement!

The song is called "Fight or Flight" and is, like "Maelstrom", based on my novel Effigy. This particular song is based on a specific scene involving my main character, Haleine, at the end of the novel. Like every single character I've ever written, she's not in the very best of mindsets. But you probably knew that already. So, without any further ado (hey, it's customary to applaud after the main event. Not because I've just announced I'll stop introducing the main event!), may I offer for your reading pleasure, today's lyrical interlude...

Flight or Flight

Two hawks there were in the sky today
Golden brown omens above a city bathed in gray
In those birds I saw you and me as we once were
And something within me started to stir

My heart took notice, seeing them there,
Dancing their dance on currents of air
Soaring high, careless and carefree
They were what I wanted us to once again be

(CHORUS) The question I face is fight or flight
Not leaving you is wrong but fleeing isn’t right
If staying for you will my death be
Can I find the strength to give you what’s left of me?

Lost for good is the serenity I crave
Too many doubts now for it all to be saved
For love and hate are two sides of a coin paper thin
And a lover’s betrayal condemns one more than any sin

I gave you my heart but you took my soul
I let it go because I thought I always held yours
But a love once unmovable shifts where I stand
A heart and a soul now slip through my fingers like sand

(CHORUS) The question I face is fight or flight
Not leaving you is wrong but fleeing isn’t right
If staying for you will my death be
Can I find the strength to give you what’s left of me?

I cried out as the hawks from me drew away
I longed to follow but on the ground my feet did stay
I wanted to join them in the cloudless blue
But knew my heart would fight always for you

A reach of your hand and I’ll surely be lost
I’ve never denied you whatever the cost
Rivers of salt for you I have shed
And yet, I know I won’t leave you, even when dead

(CHORUS) The question I face is fight or flight
Not leaving you is wrong but fleeing isn’t right
If staying for you will my death be
Can I find the strength to give you what’s left of me?

That’s the nature of a love gone wrong as our love has
When one heart feels more than the other can grasp
You murder my thinking and leave me to bleed
And still I wait to see where you may me lead

So come for me now and what’s left to you I’ll give
Say how you need me so that you might live
My heart is a harp only you can play
So pluck now my strings and carry me away


Happy Leap Day, everyone. And congratulations to all the musicians involved in the RPM Challenge!!

9 comments:

  1. Excellent lyrics! Hope you get to hear the song soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, blog award coming your way. Check it out...
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com/2012/02/new-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those were some strong lyrics. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how wonderful to listen to music being created!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a profound and beautiful song. I'd love to be able to hear it one day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aloha,

    PS.. forgot to say thanks for signing up for the Got Green? Blog O'Hop.

    I'm looking forward to reading your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in awe! We better hear those words with the music someday. SOON I hope. That is incredible.

    ReplyDelete