Monday, January 9, 2012

Just Another Moody Monday

Today I am sad.

Don't worry. I'm not going to get into the hairy details over why I am sad. It's nothing anyone wants to hear about (including me) so I'm going to have a nice internal conversation about it and then move on (or as close as I ever get to moving on). I'm just stating it here and now as a fact, as a way to frame my mood.

Today I am sad.

But I really shouldn't be. Apart from the one sadness making thing, I seem to be doing all right. Here's the positive:

1. The furnace is fixed and the basement floor is completely dry. This means the only thing keeping me from sleeping now is the chronic insomnia. Going out today to track down some Melatonin. It can't hurt to try it, right?

2. I cleaned out the walk-in closet in my house and packed six trash bags full of donations for the local thrift shop which is a HUGE step toward that whole de-clutter goal. Now I just have to remember to put the bags in the car and take them TO the thrift shop. That would be an even bigger step.

3. The Steelers lost to the Broncos last night in a wildly entertaining game (any playoff season that doesn't contain the Colts, the Jets or the Steelers is a good one). Say what you will about Tebow, it's a free country after all but the kid's a wildly entertaining quarterback and I enjoy watching him play. That said, next weekend I hope to watch him lose.

4. My shoulder and...uh, upper thigh bruises from last week have healed. Of course last night I slept with my neck in the wrong position and am now having trouble turning it properly but at least that's not on top of everything else. See, this is why I normally don't sleep...

5. John Green's novel, The Fault In Our Stars, will be released TOMORROW and my copy should be arriving TOMORROW.

6. I made progress, real progress, in my Effigy rewrites. Back in December, I decided I had to introduce a new character to the series because I needed him in Effigy's sequel, Second Nature. The best place to make such an introduction was the very first scene in the first chapter so back to the rewriting board I went. And as rewrites are sometimes wont to do, they snowballed and I've been struggling with the opening chapter since. It's been very discouraging but last night— well, maybe this morning. It was about 1am after all— I think I finished it. I haven't yet looked at it this morning but I went to bed feeling good and optimistic about it. This, I believe, will snowball into other good things. I fully intend to have the first eleven chapters (Effigy is written in three parts. Chapter eleven is the end of that first part) all edited up with a nice neat bow by the end of the week. Which means that next week they can go into the hands of my shiny new betas unless I have since scared the shiny new betas away with my alarming lack of self-confidence.

I guess I'll find out.

Hope everyone out there enjoyed their weekend. See you next time...

13 comments:

  1. I'm glad your furnace is fixed and you're healing up okay.
    Congrats on your progress! I'm sure your beta readers will be happy to get your MS in their hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice list of positives! We're in the process of de-cluttering, too. It's tough staying focused on writing when there's too much stuff in the way.

    Keep rock'en! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for number one!
    And last year I totally cleaned out my walk in closet as well and donated sooo much stuff. I can finally fully open the door and actually walk in now. Such an awesome feeling.
    And that's great on the rewrite progress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm feeling moody, too. I think it's because it's January.

    Good to look on the positive side. And we're all nervous about our writing (okay, I am), so I don't think you've scared your betas off. I think they can probably relate.

    I hope you feel better this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear your furnace is fixed!

    Congratulations on your writing progress.

    I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you are doing an awesome job with your rewrites. :) Here's hoping the day got better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My wife uses melatonin. She says she can't sleep without it. I don't see a difference in myself, though.

    Um... and I forgot the other thing. Darn kids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like life is good. Well, except for number 4. That's no good. Still, 5 out of 6 ain't bad. Hopefully, that list cheered you up some.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey -Sleep deprivation my constant companion. Not sure if I could function on more than 4 hours a night (that's actually a very bad joke). Let me know if you find something that works. Melatonin did not do it for me.

    Going to download the John Green today. Excited too.

    Hope the 'sad' issue will be resolved. I have to admit, I do my best writing at the height of emotion, maybe you can use it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear all the positive notes, especially the functioning furnace. I hate when I get in those sad moods. I try to remember the positive, but somehow that never seems to help or at least not enough. Hope you feel better soon. I like Melatonin and I also like Valerian root for sleep aids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad that, despite the sad thing, you've got a number of positives to look toward (and you've been hella-productive too!). Good luck dealing with the insomnia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sorry about whatever has you down!
    way to go on the decluttering!!!
    i added a character to a chapt 1 and had the whole thing snowball as well, but at least it makes the story WAY more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What i do not understood is in reality how you're not really a lot more neatly-preferred than you might be right now. You are very intelligent. You recognize therefore considerably with regards to this matter, produced me in my view believe it from numerous varied angles. Its like women and men don't seem to be interested until it's something to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your individual stuffs great. All the time care for it up!
    Heavy Duty Tub Shelf - Chrome Plated Brass -

    ReplyDelete