Sunday, January 1, 2012

I Hereby Resolve (the 2012 Edition)

Happy New Year, one and all. I hope everyone had a great time celebrating last night. I personally brought in 2012 with a Firefly marathon and a box of chocolates. It was shiny. And the best part about it is that I am not even the slightest bit hungover this morning.

This means that when my beloved Patriots take the field in a few hours, I'll be able to jump up and down, scream, holler, root, shout and do as many touchdown dances (Yes, I have a touchdown dance. No, I will not film it and post it on this blog for you.) as I want.

Oh happy day.

But this isn't really about that. This blog is all about goal setting. My list of goals and/or resolutions for the coming year. It looks to be another 'go big or go home' year (translation: none of my goals involve eating donuts or cookies or cake) for me which is both thrilling and terrifying. Let's take a look and see why, shall we?

1. Publish Effigy.

Wow. There it is. Just sitting there like that. Excuse me for a moment while I track down a paper bag in which to breathe... Okay. See what I mean about thrilling and terrifying? Yes, I am going to publish Effigy this year. (Effigy, in case don't know or maybe just forgot, is my fantasy WIP that I've been working on since time began.) Sure, I'm pretty sure I said that last year but I mean it this year. And yeah, I'm sure I said that last part last year too but I mean it this year. I figure if the world's going to end, I'm going out with a book (instead of a bang...get it?). I'll be talking more about this goal this coming Wednesday. That's either a teaser or a warning. Feel free to take it any way you'd like. And if you're one of my shiny new betas, please get ready for an influx of chapters. Just as soon as I finish re-writing that first one...

2. Participate in NaNoWriMo 2012.

This goal seems kind of pathetic compared to the first one. The first one is rather ginormous in scope (at least to me. I'm really freaking out about it but more on that Wednesday) so I suppose anything that followed it would be lacking in comparison. But there it is. I plan to participate in NaNoWriMo again this year. Unless I've completely gone crazy from trying to make the first goal happen. Then all bets are off.

3. Read 60 books.

This goal seems a little insane, given what else I have planned for the year but in 2011, I read around 70 books and I wasn't even trying. I view this goal as something to help me relax as I try to navigate my way through Goal #1. If you come across any hysterically bad books, please send them my way. I imagine I'll need the laugh.

4. Walk (or run or bike) at least 500 miles.

This goal is designed to make sure I do not spend the next 365 days in front of my computer driving myself insane over Goal #1. This comes out to a little over 41.5 miles a month. Piece of cake, right?

5. De-clutter.

Yes, I know this is the third year running that this goal has made the list. Maybe the third time will be the charm... I've decided to take the following approach: if I get rid of clutter, perhaps I shall find room for more books. My back up plan involves inviting my sister-in-law up for the weekend and stocking the fridge with wine coolers. If you don't get that joke, you can click HERE. Alison, I love you!


So there they are. My five goals for the year 2012. I hope that come next December, I am writing about my rousing 100% completion rate. And I hope that if I drop the ball on any of these, it's the last one. All in all, it's looking like it'll be an interesting year.

Did you set any goals for yourself? If you did, I wish you all the best with them. And now, if you'll excuse me, I have a Pats game to prep for.

Happy New Year!


10 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!! I love the way you spent the evening. Nothing like Mal and the gang with chocolate. Browncoats forever!

    Best of luck with your goals this year. I have made three big ones and if I can get then accomplished I will consider it a very good year.

    I have every faith that you will get Effigy published. I'll keep my fingers crossed and send positive publishing thoughts your way. :)

    I LOVE football, my Bears are sadly struggling this year. Ah well, in Chicago it's the eternal axiom "wait til next year" this season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Melissa- Thanks for the positive publishing vibes. I have a feeling I'll be needing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. 60 to 70 books? I'm impressed!

    Congrats on setting such admirable goals..."Effigy" is in good hands.

    Here's hoping your 2012 voyage is rewarding and fulfilling. May the winds be forever at your back, and may your sails be filled with the breaths of your muses.

    Umm...I'm a Chiefs fan, so we won't go there. (Smiles)

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Bryce- Thank you very much. Oh, and I am kind of a Chiefs fan. Well, I'm a Matt Cassell fan but still. It kind of counts. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy new year - these sound like great goals to me... good luck with them and looking forward to learning more on Wednesday
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rarely set goals; I just sort of do stuff. Okay, that's not really true. I do have goals; they're just all in my head. My goals are always too big and have to be revised constantly due to children, so I tend not to make them concrete. If I did that, I'd never get anything accomplished. That may not make sense...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good goals you've set yourself there. I've deliberately kept my resolution vague enough that I won't be too disappointed when I eventually break it.

    One thing I want to do is to read more books; if I can hit 30 this year I'll be happy. Best of luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute cartoon! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY!!! i rung in the new year with a firefly marathon as well (except mine was with much fast-forwarding and shouting at the kiddos to cover their eyes!!!- i'm trying to cultivate good taste in them)

    sounds like some grrrreat goals!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are all great goals. I hope 2012 is very productive to you!

    ReplyDelete