Saturday, December 31, 2011

Goal Tending 2011


Yikes. Is it really the end of the year already? It seems like just yesterday I was working off the worst hangover of my entire existence (for anyone not in the know, I really, really hungover last New Years Day. White wine is an evil, evil thing.) and trying to cobble together a list of quality goals for myself in the year 2011.

And now, here we are. Judgment Day. I'm kind of afraid to look. But I guess I'll just have to treat this thing like a band-aid. Just rip it off and get it over with.

So without any further stalling, here's the list of goals I set for myself last January. The goals will be in italics. My analysis of my success of each goal will follow.

1. First things first, I need a writing goal and that goal should be to come up with a game plan or a business plan or whatever it should be called. I am going to come up with a strategy to get myself and my work to the next level. I am going to research the possible paths. I am going to pick a path and I am going to stick with the path.

I am going call this goal a moderate success. I did come up with a game plan. I'd love to tell you all about it too but it's kind of a big part of tomorrow's post and I don't want to spoil anything for you ahead of time. And no, this is not just me stalling for more time. At least I don't think it is.

2. Train to run a 5K. I don't necessarily want to run a 5K but I'd like to know I'm capable of running a 5K. I have absolutely no idea how to go about doing this but I'll Google it. Or something.

Again, another completed goal. I worked very hard on this goal for the first half of the year (well, maybe not 'very' hard but still, I put forth a good amount of effort) and, at the end of May, I actually ran a 5k. Not a road race with other competitors and spectators but yes, I did in fact, run a 5k. And then spent the next seven months limping every where I went because of my shin splints. Whatever.

3. Read books I haven't read before. I am notorious for re-reading books but this year I am not going to do that. I am only going to read new-to-me books. The only exception to this rule will be the re-reading of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows this July before I go see the second half of the movie.

Done and done-er. Even if this goal is a huge reason (a reason? More like the reason) I have yet to read A Dance With Dragons (I really want to re-read the first four books before I start the fifth). Just an FYI, this goal will not make a re-appearance. It was a stupid goal to set in the first place. I blame the white wine.

4. Participate in NaNoWriMo 2011. I know my 2010 project was not what I had hoped it would be but I will not let that stop me from trying for a three-peat.


Yep. I did this one too. I didn't really announce this but I earned my three-peat. NaNoWriMo 2011 made NaNoWriMo 2010 look like a masterpiece but quality isn't really the name of the game, is it? Oh hey, just as a quasi-related aside, all NaNoWriMo winners are eligible to receive five free print copies of their novels from CreateSpace. A pretty awesome deal. I look forward to taking advantage of that offer. Sure, I'm not crazy about the project but it's free. And it'll be a good experience. You know, for future plans. The kind I'm not talking about until tomorrow. And Wednesday.

5. Continue to work on that de-cluttering project, starting with the walk-in closet that has just become a catch all for things we no longer wear. I will follow it up by trying to solve my lack of book shelves problem. And then, after that, who the hell knows.

Oh hey. Look at that. A project I just did not do at all. The Man tried to solve the book shelf problem with a Kindle. It didn't help. I can't help it that there are so many awesome books out there that I need to own.

6. Do NOT usher in 2012 with four bottles of wine of any color. Or three bottles of wine. Or two bottles of wine for that matter.

Now I know New Years Eve is still rather young and I have almost a good twelve hours to not make good on this promise but trust me. There is no way in hell that I will cracking open even one bottle of wine. Not even a little one. Count this lesson learned.

So, overall, I think I did all right, goal-wise, in 2011. Five out of six is not bad at all. Tomorrow I'll be posting my goals for 2012.

Have a Happy New Year, everyone. And please, if you're going to drink, do so responsibly.

Until next year...

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on meeting those goals!! You rock! I met two of mine and that was to get on Twitter and to finish a story that had been giving problems. Not bad, but not good. But I'm going to shake off this craptacular year with a huge margarita. This year deserves a tequila bon voyage. Happy New Year! May 2012 see all good things for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Melissa- Thank you! I hope your 2012 is a good one. Enjoy the margarita...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, my dear! I'm impressed you were able to stick to 5 out of 6! That's awesome!

    I've never actually had set resolutions before, but this year I'm going to and I intend on blogging about it in the next few days so wish me luck! And of course, good luck on whatever goals you set for yourself this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did good! So did you switch to red wine last night?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @RandomDanni- Thank you! If only that sixth goal involved eating cake. I totally would've nailed it then.

    @Alex- Thank you as well. And no, I didn't switch to red last night. I avoided all wine (and all other forms of alcohol) like they were vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...maybe I should train to run a 5K. In the least, if I fail, I'll be in better shape than I am now sitting on the chair with a pillow to prop up my back and typing on the keyboard. You've got my mind a thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huge grats on 5 of 6! Looking at this I am like..hmm maybe I should have trimmed my new list down a tad. LOL.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 5 out of 6, congrats! That's honestly amazing. Hopefully 2012 is a great year for you, too. :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you for sticking to what you did accomplish.

    ReplyDelete