Monday, November 14, 2011

The Noughties Blogfest (The part with the actual post...)


Today's blogfest is hosted by Dave over at Dave Wrote This. The idea is that participants choose one thing from each year from 2000 to 2009, be it a film, a TV show, a radio show, a particular episode of a TV or radio show, a piece of theater, a book, a comic, a piece of artwork, something online or something else entirely, and then tell us what you love about it.

And since there's really nothing more that I like to blog about than television and movies and other aspects of pop culture, I decided to sign up.

And yeah, in staying true to myself, I might have a slight problem with that whole "one thing per year" part.

Consider yourselves warned...

Here's my list:

2000

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
by J.K. Rowling: Read this on a plane from Manchester, NH to Oakland, CA. Finished it before we landed.

The West Wing's episode "Celestial Navigation": Anyone out there love this show? Well, I loved the first few seasons of it and then it kind of lost me completely but this particular episode as long remained one of my favorites. Notable for CJ's root canal and Josh's secret plan to fight inflation.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer's episode "Restless": An atypical season finale for this amazing show but a pretty kick ass outing all the same. There were thrills and chills, laughter, foredshadowing (be back before Dawn), some guy with some cheese and Giles singing at the Bronze. Try not to bleed on my couch, I just had it steam cleaned...

Gilmore Girls: This is the year this amazingly awesome show with the wildly appropriate tag line "life's short, talk fast" premiered.

2001

Buffy The Vampire Slayer's episodes The Body and Once More With Feeling: Episodes from seasons five and six respectively, these two episodes rocked. The Body centered around the (SPOILER ALERT) death of Buffy's mom and contained no underlying score while Once More With Feeling was a freaking musical masterpiece. The video below is from "The Body" because none of them for "OMWF" was good enough.



Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

2002


Firefly: Every single second of every single episode. C'mon. You didn't really think anything else would be listed here, did you? This is the best gorram show in the 'verse and I mourn for its loss every single day. One of these days, I am going to build a time machine out of a Delorian and go back in time and stop the Fox execs for cancelling this show. I might do other things too. Oh, the video below is a little over seven minutes long so feel free to skip it!



Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers: Still awesome.

2003


Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling. Hmm... is my list getting a mite predictable?

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King: Betcha didn't see that coming!

2004

Angel season five episodes "Smile Time" and "A Hole In The World": This first is the episode where Angel is turned into a puppet. It's pretty hysterical. The second is the episode where (SPOILER ALERT) Fred dies. God, that episode is heartbreaking. A prime example of how Joss makes you laugh until you cry and then makes you cry until you sob. And I love him for it.




Battlestar Galactica: This reboot of the classically cheesy sci-fi series kicked some serious ass.

2005


Serenity: Raise your hand if you're surprised to see this movie listed here! The Big Damn Movie had to make this list. River Tam's bar fight scene is frakking awesome! I wanted to post a video of it here but the embedding was disable. You can click HERE to see it though.

Supernatural: I heart the Winchester boys and this is the year when it all began.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling: The day this book was released, I was at the bookstore before the people who actually worked there.

2006


Veronica Mars season two episode "Donut Run": The one where Veronica takes on the sheriff and Xena Warrior Princess in order to help Duncan escape with his daughter.

Psych: This is the year the little show about a fake psychic hit the airwaves. Who knew it would last so long or do so well? I'm glad it did though because I find it hysterical.

Stranger Than Fiction: Love this movie. I'm not generally a Will Farrell fan but this movie is the definite exception (that, and Elf). It's amazing and if you haven't seen it, I think you're missing out.

The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory: My goodness, this was a gorgeous book. The end just gave me chills.

2007


Long May She Reign by Ellen Emerson White: This was the fourth book in a series I first read (and fell in love with) waaaaay back in middle school. Just seeing this book made my year. Reading it made it even better.

How I Met Your Mother episodes "Something Borrowed" and "Something Blue": Also known as the episodes where Marshall and Lily get married. It's truly a hysterical hour of television, especially the part where Lily's high school boyfriend, Scooter, puts in an appearance and Marshall shaves his head after he gets his cool guy tips.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling: This book was released pretty much on my birthday. It was a hell of a gift, Ms. Rowling. Thanks for everything!

2008


Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog: The best musical blog really almost ever.



The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins: I know it's been, like, a week since I've brought up this book so I figure I'm due for another mention. BY the way, the first full trailer for the movie is now out for public consumption...




2009


Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater: Oh, I love this book. I love the snark of the main characters. Maggie knows how to write a hell of a story and this is the novel that proved that (Scorpio Races cemented it).

The Vampire Diaries: The TV show, not the books. Yes, the first season is rather silly but DAMN, this has become an awesome show. The bonus is the Salvatore brothers are hot and don't sparkle. Laugh at me all you want. My love for this show has become eternal.


Well, I didn't even blog about music or half the books I'd written down...maybe another time. Thanks to everyone for stopping by... Oh, and I apologize for the wonky formatting happening in parts of this blog. No matter how many times I try, I just can't seem to fix it. Until next time...

9 comments:

  1. Loved your choices! Manchester? My hub's from there. We were just up, visiting relatives. Speaking of which, some are headed south (we're in Virginia), Snowbirds in motion - a pitt stop here - would love to join the fest but a pitt stop's gotta have food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was fun, and makes me realize how old I am, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firefly, Serenity, and Psych - you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My list couldn't be more different, but I am completely intrigued by Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a Whedonfest!

    I see we had Firefly and Buffy's Restless in common, but I love The Body & Once More With Feeling, Angel's Smile Time & A Hole In The World, Serenity, Stranger Than Fiction and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog too.

    Thanks for taking part.

    Dave
    Dave Wrote This

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen Buffy or Angel in years. I miss the shows.

    A cool list of fav's.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete