Monday, November 21, 2011

News, Notes and NaNo



Hey there, Hi there, Ho there. You're as welcome as can be!

And I'm obviously running on very little sleep so if this post has sort of a manic feel to it, you'll know why. Stayed up last night through the wee hours of the morning to work on my NaNoWriMo novel. I had intended to spend most of the day Sunday doing the same thing but I spent it lost in a book that was already written (so much easier, mind you) and so I didn't really knuckle down to work until after I'd watched The Walking Dead and knew I was in no danger of falling asleep any time soon.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Zombie shows are terrifying and gross (Note #1). And also, I hope a walker eats Andrea because she's irritating me (Note#2).

Moving on...

Somewhere this morning, I managed to limp across the 40k line on the NaNo thing (News. Definitely News). No, really. If you look over to the sidebar on the right left (Note#3: must remember to make "L" with hands), you can see that I'm not lying! Go ahead. Look. I'll wait...I'd been doing word wars with a writer friend of mine on and off during the night. She kicked my ass all night long but I still managed a small milestone of my own. The big 4-o. (Still News.)

It's surprising, really. I mean, I didn't start on time. My first few NaNo days were spent not writing. There's really no way I should now be so close to finishing, especially when one considers how pathetic my overall writing production has been all year long. And yet.

It's a Thanksgiving miracle! (news...please inform your local media outlets)

So my goal today is to write the remaining 10,000 words because today is my last day off until after the holiday weekend. Veterans' Day Weekend was another HUGE shopping weekend and that one left me pretty wrecked afterwards. I did, however, manage to get the "most memorable moment" award (News. Of the pathetic variety) when I answered the phone at The Store like this:

"Thank you for calling... [insert rather long, awkward pause as I try to remember where exactly it is I work]...Shit, where do I work? Oh! The Store! I work at The Store! This is MJ and how I can help you?"

In addition to making everyone within earshot delirious with laughter, I may also have gotten a slap on the wrist for my word choice. I'm positive it'll become a line on next year's performance evaluation.

I really need a new job. (Note#4 because this is definitely NOT news to anyone.)

So what was I writing about before I took y'all through another completely unrelated detour through the inner workings of my mind (sorry if I scared anyone)? Right. NaNoWriMo.

The Man has been great this month given all the turmoil. He's nearing his transformation into a NaNoWriMo widower. There are just one small, tiny habit we need to stamp out:

WHEN IT IS ACCEPTABLE TO INTERRUPT THE WRITER AT WORK (Note#5)

Hey honey, just thought you should know the house is on fire.

WHEN IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE TO INTERRUPT THE WRITER AT WORK (Note #6)

Hey honey, they just changed the free song of the day on the new Google music service!

But other than that small transgression (which ended with me glaring at him until he said, "Oh. Did you want me to stop talking to you now?"), he's been great. Seriously, I give The Man a lot of crap (Note #7 because again, that shouldn't be news to anyone. I am a horrible person with which to live) but he's actually a pretty decent guy. But if you tell him I told you that, I'll deny it...

Anyway, I'm going to get back to work. I can't help but feel like there was something else I was going to tell you about (more news, now slipped through the cracks) but I can't remember what and those last 10,000 words are not going to write themselves. Wishing you all a happy and productive Monday.

9 comments:

  1. You really answered the phone like that? I would've laughed my ass off if I'd been on the other end.
    You WILL finish NaNo! It's your destiny now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I really answered the phone like that. There are witnesses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very proud of you. You have pulled off a ton this month. What must they be thinking of you at THE STORE? Are you calling in sick frequently?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about Andrea! She really does need to get eaten by a walker and no amount of time spent with Shane will make her likable. lol - great way to answer the phone by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the -
    it's acceptable to interrupt a writer when . . .
    but not . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that you answered the phone like that. I hope you met and exceeded your NaNo goal.

    And I am so with you about Andrea. I wanted to throw her into the barn for shooting Darryl and especially after last night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll completely annihilate NaNo, you're that close there's no way you'll fall short. Go kick some NaNo ass!

    Hope the rush towards Christmas doesn't burn you out too much :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have done the "forgetting where I work" thing before. A little bit embarrassing, but always hilarious.

    Congratulations on your NaNo success. I'm trying to finish mine before the weekend. I guess we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW - I am jealous. I am so behind on my NaNo Novel. Ridiculously behind. I'm in awe of your 10,000 word days - seriously, WAY TO GO!

    ReplyDelete