Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I Love Dark YA Blogfest, Day One



First, a bit of Housekeeping... yesterday was the first of the month which means I was scheduled to post my monthly book review. But I didn't because sometimes, shit happens and yesterday, shit happened to the oft-mentioned (The)Heather so I was away helping her deal (or trying to, at any rate. I never think I'm very effective at these types of things). She's having a hell of a hard time right now so if anyone out there has any positive energy and/or good vibes to spare, please send some her way. Thank you... The book review, for all those who are interested, has been bumped to Thursday, work schedule permitting. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Today on My Pet Blog, there would normally be a post for Alex Cavanaugh's Insecure Writers Support Group as it is the first Wednesday of the month. So, if you're here for that, I certainly appreciate you coming out but I'm taking a pass this month. I had a great post written— well, I had a post written but things are getting jammed so I'll just save it for next time.

So that leaves what I'm actually posting today... Today is the start of the I Love Dark YA Blogfest, brought to us by the ladies of YAtopia. This is a perfect blogfest for me because I do happen to love dark YA.

The first day, today, is all about our personal favorite dark YA novels so here are some of mine:

The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins- This should be a no-brainer for anyone who has read these novels. And if you haven't read these novels, what are you waiting for?

Speak and Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson- Again, another no-brainer for anyone who has read these novels. And if you haven't read these novels, what are you waiting for?

Long Live The Queen by Ellen Emerson White- The third novel in her President's Daughter series, this story takes a very dark turn when the main character (my favorite literary character of all time) is kidnapped. Seriously awesome novel by a seriously awesome writer. If you want to know how to create great characters, read this series.

Looking for Alaska by John Green- This book is heart breaking but oh so gorgeous. If you haven't read it, you should do so immediately.

White Cat and Red Glove by Holly Black- These titles are the first two books in her Curse Workers series. I love the story but I love the characters. She writes amazing characters.

Anything by Ellen Hopkins- Holy hell, this woman writes amazing novels.

All right, that's going to do it for me today. I know I'll think of another book I wanted to mention and then spend days kicking myself for it. But that's another post for another day. Tune in on November 9th for part two of the I Love Dark YA blogfest where I attempt to write some flash fiction.

12 comments:

  1. I love The Hunger Games series, fantastic books! And Ellen is one of my all-time favorite authors. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From your list, I've only read The Hunger Games, but Looking for Alaska has been on my TBR list for a while. It's good to read some more recommendations for it as well as the others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving these Dark YA posts, cos it's my fave thing to read! I'm SO dying to read Looking For Alaska and Speak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read (and loved) The Hunger Games, but haven't read any of the others. Looking For Alaska sounds really good. I'll have to add that to my endless TBR stack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard such good things about President's Daughter series. I had no idea about book three. Now I must read them. I love a well-crafted series. Thanks for the referral!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't read much YA but when I do I definitely prefer it very dark. Thanks for the recommendations. See you next month for Alex's IWSG? I hope so! I never miss it. I need all the support I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looooove the Curse Workers series. One of the few where waiting for the next book is sheer, utter agony.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm a new follower.

    Yeah, I only remembered after you mentioned in your comment that I TOTALLY forgot about Holly's Curse Workers series. I guess my brain was just too busy wrapping my mind around the awesomeness of her earlier books to even remember her newest ones. I CANNOT wait for BLACK HEART to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally agree with you about Ellen Hopkins. Dark and good for you, like rich bitter chocolate. And LOOKING FOR ALASKA keeps getting recommended. I should pick it up. For some reason, I didn't find WHITE CAT particularly dark. That's food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome choices.

    I've read all of Ellen Hopkins' YA books. She can do no wrong, in my eyes. I also have her adult novel, Triangles, which I'll read soon.

    ReplyDelete