Saturday, October 29, 2011

TV Talk (Week Ending 10/28/11)



Sunday

The Amazing Race: Teams made their way around Thailand, ride elephants, go swimming in ponds, dismantle a spirit house, go broke trying to pay their taxi drivers and feed some fish in this episode. Ernie and Cindy are this week's recipients of the Ugly American award for trying to foist American money on their cabbie and then telling him, "I can't believe you're doing this to us. You were a terrible driver!" over and over again when he takes issue with the currency. Laurence is proving himself to be kind of an idiot when he tells his son they don't need to take notes over where things on the spirit house are and then tells his son not to whine when it turns out they did need to take notes on that whole spirit house thing. Amani and the Colts guy (maybe next week I'll remember both their names) come in first. The snowboarders scare me but ultimately come in fifth. The twins, after screeching over the elephants, shoveling baskets of elephant dung and scamming a pair of free cab rides, come in last. Again. And this time, they're both eliminated from the race.

Once Upon A Time- A new show on ABC, one of a pair of fairy tale themed series to hit the air. It wasn't bad. It had a pretty decent sword fight so I liked that so I'll probably check out next week's episode.

The Walking Dead: Best zombie kill (and only, as it turns out) was the totally awesome Darryl saying (to a walker), "Shut up," and then shooting it in the head with his crossbow. (By the way, I'm totally investing in a crossbow and a large arsenal of bolts so I'm fully prepared when the zombie apocalypse occurs.) Darryl is frakking awesome. When the zombie apocalypse occurs, I want to be in his group. Not only did he save Andrea again, he raised everyone's morale revolving around the still missing Sophia and then swooped in and had the antibiotics to save T-Dog's arm. Darryl is king. As for the rest of the group...well, let's not bother with them. Eventually they'll get off the zombie highway and make their way out to the farm where everything will go horribly wrong. Oh, and Shane and Otis (aka the idiot who shot Carl) are dumb. So very dumb. They were so smart about getting into the FEMA trailer. Why were they so dumb getting out of it? Oh, and one other thing... WHEN THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO FIND OUT WHAT JENNER SAID TO RICK AT THE CDC?!?!?!?!?!?

Monday

How I Met Your Mother: I was so excited to see James back in the mix and then very disappointed that he disappeared so damn quickly. Most of this episode just wasn't that funny to me. I laughed but that whole thing with the gang's parents was really more creepy than anything. Loved Barney's line "We decided to wait until she decides to let me have sex with her." Also loved the Weird Al cameo at the end.

Wednesday

(that's right...there wasn't anything on on Tuesday because when the Red Sox aren't playing in it, I don't particularly care about the World Series.)

The Middle: A decent episode. This season's been a tad uneven thus far and I don't like it. Anyway, Sue asks Mike (this episode's MVP) what high school boys want. That whole initial scene where Mike's trying to foist Sue off on Frankie was quite funny. And then, when Sue is dressing in style, his reaction to that was pretty priceless too. The rest of the episode was just...all right.

Modern Family: This episode was a repeat but it still makes me laugh. I don't know about you but the baby cheeses/baby Jesus thing is too damn funny. Next week's episode is new. And involves Cam picking up a woman (and not in a bale of hay kind of way). Can't. Wait.

Happy Endings: Goodness gracious, this show's on fire. Between this and Modern Family, I get quite the laughing work out. Penny and Max's costume was all kinds of awesome and creepy. Max's baby arm movements were so damn funny, especially when Penny was slow dancing with Honest Abe. The ZZ Top Gun costume was genius. As was Alex's comment on Dave's Austin Powers costume: "can't wait to see your Borat costume in nine years." Meanwhile, Brad and Jane head out to the suburbs to house sit and hand out candy. Brad's line (to a kid dressed as a doctor) "Guess you'll have to go St. Elsewhere" was hysterical. I love this show so much.

Psych: The vampire episode! This week's guest stars were Kristy Swanson, Corey Feldman and Tom Lenk. And some other people but whatever. God, Gus and Shawn crack me up. Their vampire costumes were a riot as was the line, "No one remembers Blacula except for us and Quentin Tarantino." The name of the bagel place "Lock, stock and two toasted bagels" really is the greatest name for a bagel place ever. And then there was Carlton's confession that he's spent years working up a tolerance to chloroform...I had a Princess Bride flashback there.

Thursday

The Big Bang Theory: The cold opening to this episode was fantastic. I laughed particularly hard at the bit where Sheldon was looking at the "see you in hell Sheldon" message on the walls and said, "the only thing scary about this is the missing comma" or whatever it was. It was hysterical because I had just thought: "they're missing a comma there." And I completely relate to Penny having to buy lots of Halloween candy because she keeps running out. I have the same problem.

Vampire Diaries: Two questions: why does the town keep throwing these big town festivities and why do people keep showing up? They always end up with the townfolk in body bags. It makes me think of the line from the episode "Anne" in season three of Buffy the Vampire Slayer when Larry (who was killed by the mayor by the end of the season) says, "This is our year, I'm telling you. If we can focus, keep discipline, and not have quite so many mysterious deaths, Sunnydale is gonna rule!" Anyway, in this episode, ghosts run rampant through the town. They're gone by the end of it and I hope that's a permanent sort of thing because I was getting a little tired of it. I mean, it was awesome when Lexi showed up and pushed Stefan into that car (he doesn't do uncaring jackass nearly as well as my main crush Damon does) but I'm over the ghost thing now and am ready to move on. And here's hoping Damon has a much easier (and shirtless) time next week.

Community: Their Halloween episode. I thought it started off all right and then crumbled by the end. I liked how Britta's party appetizers were fruit loops (that's my kind of cooking) and I liked how the scary story telling started. The radio newscast in the Britta and Jeff making out in the car scene was quite funny as was Abed's version of the story. I enjoyed Troy and Abed as the top gun fighter pilots and Pierce's line, "I thought I heard something awesome out there!" There was also a great sight gaga of Britta reading "Warren Piece" but then the Dean and Chang appeared and the episode stopped being funny.

Parks and Recreation: Andy and April host a Halloween party and don't tell Ben about it before hand. Ben is, I think, my favorite character. Ron is a close second. I loved it when he asked Andy for the tool box and Andy gives him a plastic grocery store bag containing a hammer, half a pretzel and a flashlight full of jelly beans. The hilarity only increased when Ron then went to Lowe's for proper tools and, when asked by an employee if he needed help, he replied, "I know more than you."

Friday

Congratulations to the St. Louis Cards on their World Series win.... all right, so maybe I watched a little of the Boston-less series...

Chuck: Hey, look. It's back. For its last season, I guess. I've watched this show from the beginning and I've enjoyed it but I will say that I am very disappointed that the series did not end with last season's episode where Chuck proposed to Sarah in the hospital hallway while Ellie was giving birth to the baby because that was a great finale. I know they unexpectedly got picked up for more episodes so, fine. But then, I think they blew it when they had Sarah on her deathbed and didn't kill her off. I know it's dark but it would've made for a much more interesting storyline. As it is, I'm not totally sold on wanting to see more.

Grimm: People who were involved in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel are involved in this show so, as a practicing Whedonite, I am obligated to check it out. It's not a bad show. I'm not totally sold on it yet but I'm not violently opposed to watching it (like One Tree Hill for example) either.

Supernatural: I'm so close to being caught up. I made it almost all the way through the episode where Cordelia is married to Spike and they're both witches. See, kids? Progress!

6 comments:

  1. I have to catch up on Walking Dead. I'm looking forward to the new western show AMC has coming on next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Grimm better than Once Upon a Time. Big Bang Theory was awesome though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Susan- I'm looking forward to the new western too. I love that genre!

    @Alex- I liked Grimm more too. I think I'll probably end up watching that one a lot more than Once Upon A Time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Grimm, too, but isn't the cop just Buffy (one is called...) and the Big Bad Wolf just Angel (reformed baddie, keeps his appetites in check...)?

    I have to skip over some of your comments because I'm behind on shows. I watch them online when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Brent- You make an excellent point about Grimm but I don't think I mind if the cop is Buffy and the Big Bad Wolf is Angel. I loved that show after all.

    I have the same need to skip comments sometimes with books. I had to skip a lot of blogs this summer when George R.R. Martin's novel "A Dance With Dragons" was released because I haven't read it yet. Most recently, I had to do it with Maggie Stiefvater's "Scorpio Races"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked Once Upon a Time. Recorded Grimm and haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

    I LOVE what they are doing with Darryl's character on The Walking Dead. Last season, I couldn't stand him. But so far this year, he's emerging as my favorite character in the group. Now that he's gotten used to the fact that his brother is gone (or is he?), he's moving past it and dealing with the issues at hand. I never would have thought he would turn out to be the most stable one in the group.

    ReplyDelete