Sunday, October 2, 2011

September Book Review


All right, so I got through five books this past month. I don't suppose this is a bad number of books to have read but I still feel as though I am slacking in the reading department. But as I am slacking in pretty much every department, I guess it's to be expected, right? Anyway, here are my recently read titles and what I thought of them:

The Red Queen- Phillipa Gregory- There’s nothing wrong with this book. Gregory’s gorgeous writing hasn’t changed at all but I didn’t really love the main character. She was annoying, really annoying and so I was glad when the book ended. I preferred The White Queen to this story. There’s a third book in this series coming out this month featuring Jacquetta Rivers. I had thought it would be Elizabeth of York’s turn but I guess not. I'm a little disappointed by this but I reserve final judgment until I've read the book.

The Dust of 100 Dogs- A.S. King- A very interesting premise. A teenage female pirate is killed and cursed to live the lives of 100 dogs. She does so and is then born as a human again, Saffron Adams, with all her memories in tact. So she goes searching for the treasure she buried three hundred years earlier. Overall, it was a good read. It was slow at times and there was one character in particular I just didn’t care for at all. I found his chapters difficult to get through.

Something Borrowed- Emily Giffin- This book was…interesting. I guess. I’m not really sure. It’s about a woman (Rachel), newly thirty, who sleeps with her best friend’s fiancé and becomes the other woman as we wait to see if the fiancé (Dex) will call off the wedding. The description of the best friend (Darcy) makes me wonder why anyone would ever be friends with this woman. And then, at the end, when the truth comes out and Darcy finds out what the other two have been doing, it was disappointing because she was cheating on her fiancé with some other guy and is pregnant with the other guy’s baby. Fine, whatever, give your characters an out or give your readers a reason to let them off the hook but I think it would have been a more interesting/ daring story had Darcy not been cheating but was just a victim or whatever. There’s a sequel to this book called “Something Blue” which is told from Darcy’s point of view. I’m curious about that and so I probably will pick it up and read it some time.

The Chocolate War- Robert Cormier- A banned book for Banned Book week. I’d never read it before. Though it wasn’t my favorite book, it’s not a bad read. I understand why it was so controversial (please note I’m not saying I agree with it. I just understand why people may have had problems with it.). I expected the story to focus more on Jerry and while he was in the book a rather lot, I was irritated whenever I was reading about some of the other boys because I was more interested in Jerry.

Insatiable- Meg Cabot- Found this book at the library. The cover snagged me first and then the back cover’s line “Sick of hearing about vampires? So is Meena Harper.” Seemed kind of awesome so I thought I’d give it a try. And I did end up liking it. There were parts of this book that read like this was supposed to be a spoof novel. Other parts made me laugh which is never a bad thing when I’m trying to decide if I like a book. I guess the bottom line is that I’m interested enough to check out the sequel, provided the library has that one (it does. I just checked. Let's hear it for my local library!).


By the way, the picture used in today's blog came from THIS SITE. I tried to make the picture itself the link but I don't know if it'll actually work.


That does it for me today. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and I'll try to better the next time...

8 comments:

  1. Five books in a month..hubby would have a fit if I read that much.
    The NaBloWriMo prompt wanted to know what heroines life we would like to live...I decided on Nancy Drew but I had to age her a bit if I was going to live her life.
    Thank you so much for your comment on thefeatherednest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @mybabyjohn/Delores- See, now I just feel silly that I didn't guess Nancy Drew. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there - I hope that you get this as blogger isn't allowing me to comment (boo). I really enjoyed your reviews - the only one of these I have read is Something Borrowed. It's a huge mistake to follow it with Something Blue too soon. I did and it was practically like reading the same novel over in some places. Really like the sound of Dust of 100 Dogs thought.
    Nice to meet you
    LAura x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these. I must admit, I'm reeling a bit from Delores saying her husband would be annoyed if she read that much. I really hope you're being gently ironic Delores, I wouldn't want to have to come over to your house and give him a smack. But I would, if I had to. I'm a fellow readaholic - here are the last five books I've read - Emma Donahue's The Room, Michael Ondaatje's The Cat's Table, Johanna Skibsrud's The Sentimentalist, Joy Jordan Lake's Blue Hole, and Great Village by Mary Rose Donnelly. I really liked every one and would recommend them all, although Blue Hole was a bit lighter than I like. Nice meeting you and thanks for dropping by my site. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo I remember thinking the Red Queen would be great, I couldn't get past the first chapter. I will have to check some of these others out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never read Something Borrowed, but I watched the movie with the same feeling. I felt like Darcy's cheating didn't even really count, because in the film it was an indiscretion she had with the knowledge that something wasn't quite right with her relationship and engagement. That doesn't make what her fiance and be friend did, okay.

    Your review of Something Borrowed makes me determined to never read it. I wondered if maybe something was lost in translation to the big screen, but I see now it wasn't. Thanks so much!

    I also have a few novels by Philipa Gregory on my shelf I am excited to read when I have the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually agree about Chocolate War althoughh I still loved it. The movie focuses almost exclusively on J. I just reserved the Meg Cabot from my library. Her voice is great in other books so I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Five books in a month is pretty damned impressive. I'm lucky these days if I can get through one ... Dust of 100 dogs sounds both odd and intriguing, I'll have to look it up :)

    ReplyDelete