Monday, October 17, 2011

Let's Hear It For the Boys

Don't worry. Today I'm not going to bore y'all with another character play list or anything like that but as it is Music Monday here on My Pet Blog, I am going to talk music. I would like to extol the virtues of three artists (well, two solo artists and one quartet) who are currently sitting atop my most played list. They write awesome music with even better lyrics (I'm a lyrics girl after all) and I need them all to write and release more such music so I can have more.

First up is Tom McRae. Tom first popped up on my radar this past summer when his song "You Only Disappear" was used on So You Think You Can Dance. I find the best music on that show. All right, so the choreographers find the best music and then I copy them. But whatever. After the episode was over, I went and downloaded a bunch of his music. His song "My Vampire Heart" made my list of my all-time favorite songs back in January because it's absolutely gorgeous with heart breaking lyrics ("Darling, I'm lost/ adrift in the dark/ clutching your words/ to my vampire heart once more/ So let in the light/ turn me to dust/ If it don't end in blood shed/ it's probably not love") that make it a perfect song for a couple of my characters.




Additional Recommended Listening:

"Told My Troubles To The River"
"Me & Stetson"
"The Boy With The Bubble Gun"


The second artist on my list is David J. Roch (he doesn't seem to have a dedicated website but you can find him on Facebook). Like Tom McRae, I found David through So You Think You Can Dance. Melanie and Marko danced to his song "Skin and Bones" which led me to other fantastic songs such as "Yours" (another song with perfectly embodies the same two characters I mentioned before). There doesn't seem to be a YouTube video for this song so I'm going to go with this one instead:




Additional Recommended Listening:

"Yours"
"Hell Followed"
"Bones"


Last, but certainly not least, is the group Mumford & Sons. I actually first read about them in a certain music magazine which I shall be ranting about later on in the week. Their album, Sigh No More, is truly fantastic and is constantly in the CD player in my car. There isn't a single track on that album I don't like but the video I'm going to post here is a track that isn't found on that album. Truth be told, I can't find the damn track anywhere and I want it desperately. The song is called "Liar."



Additional Recommended Listening:

"White Blank Page"
"Little Lion Man" (there's the clean version and the not-as-clean version. I bet you can guess which one I like...)
"I Gave You All"
"Thistle And Weeds"
"Dust Bowl Dance"



So that does it for me today. What's on the top of your music list?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the videos...really great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great videos - thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff! I haven't heard of David Roch, but I am going to check him out. Mumford and Sons, they just WOW me. I love them. And yes, I am having a heck of a time finding that song "Liar" as well! I haven't heard it until now and now I have to have it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh new tunes to use on my grooveshark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never listened to Tom McRae. This sounds like a pretty good artist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Mumford and Sons. Seriously, for me, listening to them for thirty minutes is like getting a three hour nap, I feel so relaxed afterward.

    ReplyDelete