Sunday, October 23, 2011

Books A Million



So The Man seems to think the book population in our house is insane and out of control. I don't know what makes him think that. I mean, sure the number of paperbacks swelled slightly with that whole Borders liquidation event. And yeah, maybe I'm running out of shelf space and have to resort to some creative book storage like:

The back of the sofa

And:

bureau drawers

And:

table tops

But I don't think it's out of control. Sure, my hallway looks like this:

and this:


And the newest bookshelves I purchased now look like this:

And this:


And I have yet another pair of Amazon orders on their way. (Unless The Man's reading this. Then it was the Gator Girl. She can't help herself when it comes to online ordering. Or anything else.) But come on, how is any of that out of control?

Back me up on this, fellow bibliophiles.

But in the interest of harmonious living or whatever, I have accepted the following challenge: Stop buying books. Not for like, all time or anything. Just until the end of the year. I won't lie. The idea makes my stomach hurt and my palms sweat. It's only been a couple of days and already I'm suffering from withdrawal but I can do this.

Maybe.

Maybe not.

How do you think I'll do? Place your bets below!





15 comments:

  1. EReader! You need an eReader.
    In the meantime, double-stack those on the shelf and hope you husband doesn't notice the new arrivals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. Don't know. It will take self control. Or an eReader...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an eReader. So far, it hasn't helped. It just helps me to buy other books. At least those take up less space...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps you could build furniture out of books. That or go for the e-reader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Just tell your husband that if he wants them out of the way, he needs to build you a library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just impressed that your books are all stacked nice and neat. Mine are placed all willy nilly around the house. No need to stop buying books. Just keep them stacked up, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw so many of my favorites in your stacks. Use them as furniture--stack and put a glass plate on top for a literary coffee table, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep on fellow out of control book purchaser!! I'm with you--I've had to ban myself, because my husband is worse than I am...books are the only things we collect...Think of it this way, at least your new year will be merry and bright because you'll be able to buy books again!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. my bookshelves were looking the same so I've now converted to kindle. Saves so much space! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is ridiculous...ly awesome. Ridiculously awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowzers. Invest in a Nook or a Kindle or something. It'll save the complaining. I had to give a bunch of books away to charity last week (I was sad to see them go) but my bookcases are looking much better for it.

    Good luck with the book detox, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a Kindle. The Man had hoped it would stop me from buying so many physical novels. It didn't. I just buy a lot of eBooks now too. =)

    I'm really glad I didn't post the pictures of my other bookshelves...and the boxes in the basement...

    ReplyDelete
  13. at least they're orderly & you wont be highlighted on packrat mess show. if you go to kindle, no obe will know about your addiction =)

    love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a lot of books. YOu have a private library.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is what my house looks like. I solved it by getting a Kindle and giving away books. My husband and I are at an impasse on what to do with the kids' books.

    ReplyDelete