Friday, September 2, 2011

August 2011 Book Review


Well, you already know I slacked off as far as reading (and, all right, everything else) went last month so I don't have a whole lot to post here. I even slacked off more than usual on the "what I thought" portion. But I did read three books this month. I did start a fourth book, a self pubbed effort for the Kindle, but had to stop after the second page because the grammar issues just made me so sad.

Dear Self Pubbed Authors: I applaud your initiative. I applaud your confidence but PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE EDIT YOUR NOVELS. If grammar isn't your thing, then please find someone whose thing it is to help you with this task because really, no published work should have their/they're and your/you're problems. So please, edit your manuscripts. Hell, I'll even do it for you.

Moving on...

Here's what I read last month:

Boy Toy- Barry Lyga- Recommended to me by Christa over at Christa Writes. She described it as ‘dark, but very good’ and I have to agree. Parts of this book are absolutely heartbreaking but it's a fantastically written story.

An Abundance of Katherines- John Green- This was my least favorite of all John Green’s books. Of course, that’s a little like saying “Bushwacked” is my least favorite Firefly episode. I really love how he creates characters. I always end up loving them. I am very much looking forward to his new book next year.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter- Jeff Lindsay- The book upon which the first season of Showtime's awesome series Dexter is based. It's a lot different from the television show. Maybe it’s because I saw the show first (and am now watching the fifth season) but I think I (and I know this is sacrilege) prefer the show’s version.

Well, that does it for me today. I'll try to do better next time!

12 comments:

  1. A good editor is hard to find and may be out of the financial means of most that self-publish. It's one reason why I sought to traditionally publish. I get actual editing from a professional that they hire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My publisher has an editor on staff, but even then, I still use two test readers and three critique partners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say that a good editor is in my financial means either but I could (and have) spend $10 on a half way decent grammar guide (i.e. "The Elements of Style" by William Strunk and E.B. White) and still figure out the difference between "they're" and "their" or where an apostrophe is supposed to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed, it's the their/there/they're and you're/your issues that most annoy me. That would put me off of a book, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't say a word here or there would turn me off. For me it's all about the story and the voice. However, if there's too much tell...well, that's another story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A word here or there wouldn't turn me off a story. I'd make a mental note because that's what I do, correct the problem in my head and then move on. But when there's just one mistake after another, a constant deluge of errors, and I'm only on the second page? That's annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your quick reviews. It seems like I've been noticing tons of mistakes in books that aren't self-published lately. Is it me being more alert to them or is everyone getting sloppy?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been wanting to read Darkly Dreaming Dexter, but you're the second person who's said that they prefer the TV series. Since I love the show, I'm a little hesitant to read the book now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree about Dexter...especially knowing what happens in SEASON 2! Also, a WHOLE LOT OF YES to your comment on self-pubbing...it really ruins it for people who are doing it legitimately if you self-pub unedited crap. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Barry Lyga and John Green, though the teacher story in Boy Toy was pretty icky for me.

    I think you need to publicize which story it is that you can't read. Others might be buying it right now, and unless we expose bad self-published grammarians, they won't get the message.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm fascinated by the fact that you didn't like Darkly Dreaming Dexter but you like the show. Dexter is also a favorite of mine and I had the book on my TBR. I'm curious about it now.fff

    ReplyDelete
  12. Abundance of Katherine's was my least fav, too. But Green still ROCKS :D

    Jsut read Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson and LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete