Friday, August 12, 2011

Since I've Been Gone



Holy. Moly.

Did you know— did you realize— that it's already August freaking 12th? Did you know that the last time I posted something here it was only August 1st and I was working under the apparent delusion that I would be more productive this month.

Silly Rabbit. Productivity is for anyone who isn't me.

Not that I've been sitting around not doing anything. I have honestly been very busy. This has been my first day off since the start of the month (all right, there was last Sunday but I was so severely hungover that day my job was really just to not die) and what do I do first? Not the laundry (and boy, is there a lot of laundry), not the dishes, not exercise the Gator Girl (but I really can't put that off much longer. A Malinois Meltdown is imminent), not even go to my local Borders and buy out everything they have left (rumor has it, ours will be out of stock before the end of the month). Nope, it's come here and blog for your pleasure. Or judgment (Yes, I was hungover yet again. But I haven't been hungover since January. Plus, I am of age and had a designated driver and Twitter-er. Tweeter? So except for the ill-advised imbibing of a rather large quantity of rum, I was really very responsible).

Provided anyone reads this, of course. It has been a very long time. It's possible you've given up on me.

But I hope you haven't. Because I have a backlog of stories to tell you that'll definitely make you laugh. Or maybe just chuckle. Or possibly just shrug and move on to the next blog on your list. I guess we'll find out.

Just not today. But I will tell those stories. Unless I forget. Which is— let's face it— highly probable.

So what have I been doing that's kept me away for so long? Well, I'll tell you...

My good friend and co-worker, Ruthie, has a son who was involved in a very, very serious motorcycle accident at the beginning of the month. It was very nearly almost the worst kind of accident, the kind from which you don't get the chance from which to walk away. He literally broke his neck and he actually crushed a couple of vertebrates. He had to be taken to a hospital in the next state over that's better equipped than our own hospital to handle injuries of this magnitude and, once there, had a very long, very critical surgery. It went well and so far, so has the rest of his very long road to recovery. But needless to say, Ruthie has not been able to cover her shifts. So in addition to working my own shifts, I've been working hers as well.

This has led to a lot of very long days. Not as long as Ruthie's, I know, so I want to be very clear that I am not complaining. Just explaining. I have a very physical job at The Store that is, most days, akin to an eight hour StairMaster workout. So by the time I get home, I'm pretty wiped out. I'm sure I'll perk up when I get my next paycheck though.

So please, if you've felt ignored or abandoned by me of late, don't take it personally. I'll get back to you, I promise. And I know, after ignoring you for all this time, the last thing I should do is ask y'all for a favor but I'm going to do it anyway. Here it is:

If you have any positive energy to spare, any at all, even an iota of the stuff, please send it along to Ruthie and her family. I know they would definitely appreciate it. Thanks all.

11 comments:

  1. Prayers for Ruthie and her son! That's nice of you to cover for her. And you have been missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always read your posts!! Glad to wake up and see one this morning!

    Prayers for Ruthie, son and family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've lost a lot of friends in car accidents. SO glad he's still around!
    But I can't imagine his recovery's going to be much fun.
    Crazy how one second can change your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank god that poor boy is doing okay. I work in assistive technology. If you have any questions on stuff that is "out there" for handicapped individuals to use in their recovery, send them to me. I'd be happy to help out with research and recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry about us. That's what Google Reader is for. To alert us when you write something new.

    I'm glad he's okay. Such a scary thing. And how good of you to help out in the way you can. It's always the little things that make the most difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're the kind of co-worker everyone wishes they had. Sorry about the kid on the motorcycle, I hope he recovers.

    Glad your back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome friend and co-worker you are. I hope Ruthie's son recovers. I will send all the positive vibes and prayes I can muster in their direction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone for the well wishes, thoughts, prayers and positive vibes!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Ms. M.J.:

    We, Sir Poops-A-Lot and Hair Ball have given you a challenge.

    http://www.shellysnovicewritings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Indeed, time flies and the weeks often seem to fly by in an instant.

    Glad to have you back - although twelve days is not that much and I am often "away" longer than that. Perhaps that makes me a really bad blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My thoughts and prayers to Ruthie and her family. How horrible. You are an amazing friend and co-worker to be helping her out like this. I'm taking a short hiatus myself, but for nothing so serious, just the deadline for my as yet unfinished story. My commenting and posting have suffered so I taking myself out of the game all together until I finish in a couple of weeks. Take care and I will see you soon.

    ReplyDelete