Monday, August 1, 2011

July 2011 Book Review


Here's a list of the books I read last month:


Thirteen Reasons Why
- Jay Asher- I really don’t know what to make of this book. Don’t get me wrong. It’s a well written, well told story. I have absolutely no qualms with it. It just left me— and appropriately so— with an odd feeling I’m not entirely enjoying which, interestingly enough, makes me love it that much more because I love a book that can make me feel something so deeply. I think this is an important book that every teenager should read and discuss. If I were still teaching, this book would immediately become part of my curriculum.

Grounding Quinn- Stephanie Campbell- I read this book after Jolene Perry recommended the hell out of it on her blog. I’m glad I listened to her because it was a very good book and I really enjoyed it. I liked the attitude, the snark of the main character. I liked the voice of the entire novel. I liked that the MC bought Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food because that’s my favorite. I liked that the MC is far from perfect. There was so much to like in this book and the cover is absolutely gorgeous. However, sometimes I thought the time jumps from one chapter/scene to the next were jarring or hard to follow. And I really didn’t care for Ben calling Quinn “baby” all the time but that’s just me being me. Still, a very worthwhile read.

Paper Towns- John Green- Proof that I do sometimes love books because I found this book to be frakking amazing. It made me laugh, it made me almost cry. I couldn't read this book fast enough because it was that awesome. Another book for my curriculum.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows- J.K. Rowling- You know I love it. Still this did not prevent and sister and me from mocking it mercilessly one evening. Nothing is more entertaining than B’s Hagrid voice.

Switched- Amanda Hocking- I wanted to read this book to see what people were talking about. It wasn’t the worst thing I’ve read but neither did it do a whole lot for me. I found it interesting that Entertainment Weekly reviewed this book in one of their recent issues and complained of misspelled words, misused words and something else (I don't remember what the something else was) but still gave the book a grade of B. Maybe I'm way overly picky where grammar is concerned but I wouldn't give a book with overly blatant grammar issues a B.

Looking For Alaska- John Green- John Green, you are amazing. I would seriously devote an entire semester to your novels.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson- John Green and David Levithan- This book caught my attention with the quote on the cover. It’s from the New York Times Book Review and says “funny, rude and original.” That’s definitely my kind of book. So I picked it up and read it. And loved it. This book is made of awesome, covered in awesome sauce, topping with whipped cream and cherries— wait, I don’t like cherries. It’s topped with whipped cream and giant peanut butter cups. With freshly baked brownies and chocolate chip cookies.

Forever- Maggie Stiefvater- A lovely book and a fitting end to a lovely series. I adore Stiefvater’s writing style. It’s really very intelligent and classy.

250 Things You Should Know About Being A Writer- Chuck Wendig- The title really says it all. I love this guy’s sense of humor and his writing style so this e-book was a no brainer for me. I especially loved that he told people to watch Gilmore Girls as an example of awesome dialogue.

Sweet As The Devil- Susan Johnson- A nice historical bodice ripping romance to close out my month. I don’t read a ton of romance novels but she is the one romance author I actually seek out.

11 comments:

  1. Great choices! The one that caught my eye was the 250 Things You Should Know About Being A Writer... I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy it, especially from your many review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last month I read "A Dance With Dragons", "Where You Belong", and "The Body Cartel". Only three books. But I started "American Gods" and I'm almost finished with it so it'll go down as one completed in August. You read way more than me and way faster. Yowsa. And I agree with you on Hocking's book but I think a lot of people give her a break because it is/was 99 cents. It's now being traditionally published by one of the Big Six who are charging a lot more for it. /sigh. Everything seems to be going up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a list! I've only sadly read one of them. You can probably guess which one that is. Man. I have a lot of reading to catch up on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ADORE John Green.

    Am just about to start paper towns. It's my LAST one of his that hasn't been read. But he's got a new one soon...

    Grounding Quinn - Baby - YES! Made me CRAZY!! She said it's a southern thing... STILL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been busy reading. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list and wonderful reviews! I've only started reading Stiefvater’s series and I so can't wait for the end! Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Wish I had as much reading time as you seem to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will Grayson, Will Grayson is one of my most favorite books ever. The Tiny Cooper voicemail message had me howling. I have a recommendation for you for next month: BOY TOY. Dark, but very good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to see so much John Green in your list! I'm a huge fan of his, though I still have to read WG/WG and Let It Snow... Can't wait for his new book in January!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great books and yes, Gilmore Girls is awesome dialogue. And obviously Firefly.

    I will have to check out these titles. Thanks for the recommendations. :)

    ReplyDelete