Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Retro Summer Blogfest



Let me tell you the story of a girl. A girl who, back when she was much younger than she is now, apparently thought the word "cool" was synonymous with the word "lame." A girl who, when she labeled a certain cassette "Really Cool Mix of Music," obviously had no idea what the hell a really cool mix of music should be.

Because it is not this tape.

I do NOT want to post this playlist. It's pretty damn embarrassing.

I'd just like to say for the record that I listen to cool music now. Or, in the interest of hedging my bets, I listen to cooler music now.

Not everything I'm going to list here is awful. Some of these songs can be found on my iPod. But most of them aren't because a lot of this list is truly heinous and you have no idea how much I don't want to post this playlist.

That said, when I was listening to this tape out in The Man's car yesterday, I groaned when each song began, said "what the hell was I thinking?" and then proceeded to sing along with the song at the very top of my lungs. I apologize to the neighbors who had to listen to that.

So anyway, without any further ado, I hereby present to you the dark period in my musical lifetime (get ready to have a jolly good laugh):

Side A:

1. Could've Been- Tiffany

I told you it was bad.

2. Iko Iko- Madonna

Do you need any more proof that I was an 80's child? You do? Then how about this:

3. True Colors- Cyndi Lauper

All right, so I do like this song. Sue me.

4. I Sing The Body Electric- From the "Fame" soundtrack

I had to blame/thank my junior high music choir director for this one. We performed this song when I was in the seventh or eighth grade and I've been obsessed with it ever since.

5. Sooner Or Later- Madonna (from the "Dick Tracy" Soundtrack)

Yes, this is real.

6. So In Love- Boys II Men

Yep. But wait because it gets better...and by 'better', I mean 'worse.'

7. I Swear- All-4-One

There are no words.

8. I'll Be Your Everything- Tommy Page Featuring (wait for it!) New Kids On The Block

I was wrong. Now there are no words. If you'll excuse me, I have to go die of embarrassment now.

9. Foolish Beat- Debbie Gibson

I am going to travel back in time and kick my fifteen year old self's ass.

10. Can't Cry Hard Enough- The Williams Brothers

Anyone else remember the very special episode of Beverly Hills 90210 where this song was featured? Yeah. Neither do I.

11. Stay- Lisa Loeb

I recorded this song from the radio. Apparently it was a snowy night because the DJ talked over the first few bars about accumulations in feet. I've always liked this song. I find it good to sing to.

Side B:

1. Yesterday- The Beatles

What's this? A song that doesn't make me want to hang my head in shame?

2. What Can You Lose- Madonna (from the "Dick Tracy" soundtrack)

What can I say? This is a pretty awesome song.

3. Out Here On My Own- Irene Cara (from the "Fame" soundtrack)

Still one of my favorite shower songs to belt out. As to which I'm sure my neighbors can attest.

4. Vogue- Madonna

Strike a pose.

5. Under The Bridge- Red Hot Chili Peppers

Yes! Yes! Proof that I wasn't completely lame. Just mostly. I remember hearing this song for the first time while I was sitting in my geometry class. Someone outside was playing it on the radio and I fell in love with it. I think that may be my only positive memory of geometry class.

6. La Isla Bonita- Madonna

Have I ever mentioned that I was a huge Madonna fan when I was a kid? I don't know if you knew that about me.

7. Swing The Mood- Jive Bunny and the Mix Masters

I'm definitely not going to tell you about the routine my siblings and I choreographed to this song. Because that would be embarrassing.

8. One Last Cry- Brian McKnight

Seriously?

9. Stand By Me- Ben E. King

This has got to be the strangest mix of music ever.

10. Dreams To Dream- from the "American Tail" soundtrack

Do you remember that movie? In addition to turning it into a drinking game (we were underage so we used root beer) where you did a shot every time they said the word "cat", there was this sweet little ballad sung by the little girl mouse that I really loved to sing.

Wow.

So there you have it. My so-called "Really Cool Mix of Music." Though, I suppose, all things considered, it could have been a lot worse. Still, a very fun (if embarrassing) blogfest. Thanks to Amy at The Ramblings of Amy for hosting. I will now go out and see what the rest of you listened to once upon a time.

21 comments:

  1. My mix is from the 80s too, and I shook my head in disbelief as listened with great laughter. Thanks for sharing. The 80s were just too fun and we were all just too cool!
    -Vanessa from http://sandcastlesandsnowforts.blogspot.com/
    (for some reason I can't sign in my google account.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just sounds like typical 80's pop music. Nothing to be ashamed of. I grew up in the eighties and there's something wrong with me (I think) because I never hold onto music of a certain generation. My music taste always seems to lean toward the modern. My favorite song right now is "Lighters" by Bruno Mars and Eminem. Don't ask me why I like modern music...I just do and I'm 40. I think I'm an anomaly. I don't have kids either that keep me up to date on music. I research it all my own and listen to this kind of music in the solitude of my own apartment simply because I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.

    I have to admit, mine looked pretty much the same. I didn't participate in the blog fest, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know most of the bands. And I can nail a perfect score in Karaoke with Lauper's Time After Time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay - that is too fun :D
    I remember ALL of that music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes me want to road trip with you! Madonna, Tiffany and Debbie Gibson - classic. You can't knock that. Or fight it. I have those on mix tapes as well...with New Kids on the Block. Cringe. Great list!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not that bad, it could be way worse. I mean, used to sing some of those songs... *starts whistling*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE I Sing the Body Electric! We sang it in high school for our show choir! Ah, that song takes me back. Great memories. And I do remember all of those songs you just mentioned. ;) And I loved An American Tale. Even though that huge mouse thing they build scarred me for life as a child...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, some of those songs are great! I had to laugh because 1. I had a mixed tape friends made for our group and it included a song from American Tale. I don't remember which song, though. Something about friends, I imagine. There was a song from the Ghost soundtrack, as well. Oh, and 2. I also had a song where they announced a snow day through the beginning of the song; it was by Tori Amos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anything cringe-worthy on this mix was totally negated by The Beatles and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. And anyone who can slip showtunes into their mix, I'm a new fan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HEHEHE this is the cutest list!

    NKOTB...I have friends (born in 1980 like me) who are still huge fans of those guys. Not kidding.

    I still love Madonna, she rawks. Not a huge fan of her more recent stuff though, but I have to give the woman credit - she knows how to change with the times.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am particularly ashamed of the NKOTB. But at least they were only the background singers in that particular song...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, that's great you belted out the songs when you listened to them again! That's all that matters isn't it, enjoying ourselves while listening to a song that makes us want to dance, to sing? Getting carried away in the moment? I say, don't be embarrassed. Have fun with it - it's worlds better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so weird! You'd think as an 80's child you would have squeezed in some more Madonna! I don't think you have enough! Haha, very entertaining post! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had me at "Could have Been." I haven't thought of that song in SO long (except when Tiffany did a come back concert in 2000, I went, I'll admit. It was free and amusing)

    I love this music and I'm not ashamed to admit it. It's fun to have music evoke those emotions of yesteryears (or Yesterday- as the Beetles would put it)

    Fun list!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HEY! I like a lot of those songs...LOL. I can't judge because I just bought the "Flashdance" soundtrack in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart yesterday. :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm pretty sure I have the Flashdance soundtrack on tape somewhere in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This. Is. AWESOME!!! I had a LOT of those same songs on my own mix tape way back when! Good times. :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know all of this music, so none of it sounds that horrible to me. ;) I'm a bit sorry I missed this blogfest.


    If you get a chance, check out a fellow writer's zombie story and help me make him wear an embarrassing shirt next year! Details are here:
    http://kelworthfiles.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/prove-the-zombies-wrong-social-platforms-can-build-readership/

    ReplyDelete
  21. LMAO this list just killed me because I know and loved at one point every single song on here. I, too, am a child of the 80's and it shows to my neon lighting blot earrings and black rubber bracelets.

    ReplyDelete