Friday, July 1, 2011

June 2010 Book Review




My horoscope (oh hey, kids! A detour! Let's see where it leads!) today says that I should assume Fortune is smiling down upon me. Well, I'm here to tell you that I don't assume Fortune is smiling down upon me, I know she is. I also know that she must be pointing and laughing her ass off at the same time because the Gator Girl is in the midst of a six hour long vomitpalooza. It started at 3am when she threw up all over her bed, her crate and the bedroom floor (three times) and hasn't stopped yet. Most recently, she literally threw up from one end of the upstairs hallway to the other other. Literally. At some point, really, you have to figure that she'll eventually run out of stuff to vomit but that has not happened yet. So yeah. We're feeling real fortunate (and a little queasy) at Casa Crazy this morning. And we're also low on paper towels.


But anyway, let's talk books. Here's what I read last month:


Awake
- Elizabeth Graver- Not too long ago, I read a blog that asked if you had to like the main character in order to like the book. I didn’t really think so. Sure, it helps to like the character but it wasn’t a necessity. This book is an example of that. At times, this book reminded me of a Jodi Picoult novel, without the courtroom drama. There’s some very lovely writing but I really just didn’t like the main character. Still, Elizabeth Graver writes some very nice fiction. If you haven't already, you really should check out her books.


Akarion Book One Uliin Daar
- Bruce Trimpop- I may have already ranted about discussed this book on this blog. Make sure you edit your manuscripts, kids! Hell, I’ll even do it for you!


Black Out
- Lisa Unger- I really enjoyed this novel. I found it to be a very well written example of psychological suspense. There are a lot of twists and turns and you can never be sure what’s truth and what’s not. A lot of other reviews I’ve read on this book complain that they didn’t care for that but I liked the way the story was crafted. It's really the first example of psychological suspense that I've consider to be an actual example of psychological suspense. I loved Unger’s manipulation of language in this story. This is the third Unger book I’ve read and I think it’s her the best written (so far).


Smokin’ Seventeen
- Janet Evanovich- The latest Stephanie Plum novel. In many ways, it’s better than some of the most recent books have been. I figured out the mystery rather early on. And (spoiler alert!) Stephanie’s car blows up and I always get a kick out that. But I hate the love triangle between Stephanie and Morelli and Ranger. Hate it, hate it, hate it. It’s gone on entirely too long and while I consider myself to be far from a prude, Stephanie is really a freaking slut in this book. Dear Morelli: you can do better. Much better.


Sisterhood Everlasting
- Ann Brashares- A Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants novel. I really enjoyed the first four so picking up this book was a no brainer for me. The girls are now twenty nine. Something big happens. Something freaking tragic happens around page 85 that prompted me to send to my sister the following text: “WTF?” I was then sent into a deep depression that could only be cured by devouring a giant vat of Ben and Jerry’s along with the rest of the story. There’s some really beautiful writing to be found here.


Passion
- Lauren Kate- The third book in the Fallen series. I had thought it was the last and since I was, well, less than enamored by the first two installments, I was very dismayed when I first saw the back page saying that the fourth (and final) book of this series would be out next spring. Groaning ensued. But anyway, I ended up liking this book more than the other two. It’s more interesting although I didn’t care much for the end. There’s a serious amount of bad guy monolog-ing going on that I didn’t enjoy but I will say that overall this book is an improvement over the other two. Except for the cover. The first two books had beautiful covers. This one, not so much.


The Arrival
- Nicole MacDonald- This story didn’t do much for me. It’s definitely not my type of fantasy. Plus, there are too many grammatical issues (particularly with apostrophes, pronoun references and verb tense switches) as well as confusing POV shifts from 1st to 3rd person and back again. It made it a more difficult and irritating read.


All right, go ahead and insert some creative book related thing here. In reality, I'm off. There's another clean up on aisle nine. Enjoy your holiday weekend, all!

5 comments:

  1. Holy crud, for the first time ever, I've never read ANY of the books in your book review. What gives? Do you have a new source???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how honest and simple your reviews are. WELL done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'll have to check some of these books out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still don't know how you read so many books. I consider it a good week if I get through ONE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So...I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't even know the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants was a book series (or a single book, for that matter). I really should have guessed that. I'll have to look them up.

    I'm waiting for the new Stephanie Plum to arrive from Amazon. Hopefully Tuesday! But, yeah, I'm a bit over the triangle. Eventually, you just gotta' choose.

    Sorry about the vomiting dog. Hope things have improved immensely since you wrote this!

    ReplyDelete