Sunday, June 26, 2011

Lovin' The Language


Well, I am a sucker for a good blogfest and Jolene Perry over at Been Writing? is hosting one I just couldn't pass up. Technically, it's not until tomorrow but as tomorrow's only a couple hours away and looks to be rather hectic here at La Maison de Madness (Maison de la folie, I guess, if you're not going for alliteration the way I was), I thought I'd go ahead and post it now.

The rules of this event are simple and yet, I still won't manage to follow them. Participants are asked to pick any five lines from a WIP or, if one is feeling shy, one can post five lines from a book they love. Well, I am going to post lines from my sword and sorcery fantasy WIP Second Nature. However, it'll be more like five short passages rather than five lines. I tried, I really tried, to follow the rules but this is as close as I could get.

Each (very short, I swear) excerpt centers around the WIP's main character, Cate. She's a tough talking, wildly sarcastic yet deeply depressed woman pulled into a parallel universe that just happens to be in the midst of a conflict not her own. In excerpt #2, she's speaking to Faolan, a talking pegasus (yes, you read that right) instrumental to the side of good. In the fourth excerpt, she's talking to James, the beleaguered and reluctant leader of the people's rebellion.


Here we go:

1. He asked the question like they were friends or something. Like he'd known her all her life. He had, in fact, known her all her life but he wasn't her friend. If anything, he'd been her mother's friend. Laura had called him Richard. Cate generally called him nothing but, if asked, would have confessed to lately calling him Dick. She was nothing if not spectacularly immature when the opportunity presented itself.

2. "People did this?" she asked as she looked over the destruction. "Men did this? I mean, it wasn't something else?"
"Something else?" Faolan asked.
"I don't know," Cate said. "Fire breathing dragon or something?"
"Dragons are myth," Faolan replied.
"Says the pegasus," Cate said.

3. Nothing mattered. Because she was going to die here. Some people would say she was being pessimistic but she preferred to think of it as realistic. They thought she was the queen. They thought she was a traitor and the only people who knew otherwise were currently missing in action. So unless a traitor's death in these parts was death by chocolate, she really didn't have much to look forward to.

4. "We've got trouble," she said.
"Trouble?" James echoed.
"Right here in River City."
"What?"
"Nothing. Look, something's coming," Cate said. "I don't know what the something is exactly but my spidey sense is tingling in a big ole 'danger is heading right for us' kind of way."
"Your what is doing what?"

5. "Yeah, see, here's the thing," Cate said. "I've been there, done that and got the tee shirt. I used it to keep my internal organs from becoming external organs so if it's all the same to you, I think maybe I'll sit this one out."


And there you have it. My five passages lines. I hope you enjoyed them. Thanks to Jolene for creating and hosting a very cool blogfest! And Thank You for stopping by...

30 comments:

  1. Ah yes, I'm participating in this...or at least I plan to. Gotta get to it later tonight!!

    Your story sounds like it's got modern characters in a fantasy setting - is that right? Sounds fun anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh! I love the last one! Such a wonderfully sarcastic voice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Likin' Cate quite a bit. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These were great! I'm ready to read ALL passages asap ;) Cate's got a great voice, and she uses the term 'spidey-sense'. Love her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your characters; this sounds like exactly the kind of book I love - I'd totally buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww! This sounds like a GREAT blogfest! Wish i had known about it i totes would have participated.
    LOVE your first passage, it has a lot of great voice in it

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOOh! I'd like to read your book when it's finally finished. Need a beta reader who does book reviews on occassion?

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL I think it was 5 short lines or 5 short exerpts so I'd say you are still safe =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the voice in these. TOO FUN :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a hilarious character! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a fantasy - I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've got a great sense of humor. It's cool that it shows in your writing. Come to think of it, I only know you through your writing, so huzzah! to you. :)

    It Just Got Interesting

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Says the pegasus". LOL. I love this character's voice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So the 2nd and 4th made me smile (I would've laughed, but then people would've looked at me all funny). Cate has a fun voice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great voice, fun passages, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are fabulous! This character alone would make me want to read the book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoyed number two. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I liked no. 1, especially this line "She was nothing if not spectacularly immature when the opportunity presented itself".

    The Write Soil

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm very impressed. Well done. I want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks like you have very strong characters! I <3 #2 - especially because my WIP has dragons!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super cute! And death by chocolate is the only way to die!:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Cate. She's very snarky and clever.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovin' the humor!

    "Dragons are myth," Faolan replied.
    "Says the pegasus," Cate said.


    "Your what is doing what?"

    Both lines made me laugh out loud. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I must say these are some fantastic excerpts. I'm particularly fond of numbers 2 & 4. Of course, now I feel the levels of sarcasm and unexpected pop culture references in my own manuscript are dangerously low, but I'll just use that as an impetus to make my story even better.

    Excellent work, M.J., and thanks for raising the bar.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the sarcasm of #5 - it's dripping like thick Alpine honey :-)
    Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are such fun passages! I like your clever and playful style!

    ReplyDelete