Monday, May 16, 2011

A Minor Heart Attack And Other Stuff



The Fence Guy came last week and walked the intended fence line and measured and took lots of notes. He said he'd send the official quote in the mail. Well, it showed up. I opened the envelope, looked at the number and had a minor heart attack.

Holy Hell.

It's going to be worth it though. It's going to be great.

Right?

I mean, I won't have to worry about what the neighborhood dogs are doing in my yard. I won't have to take my own dogs outside every time they decide they need to pee (or just think they need to pee). I can just open the door and let them go out all on their own while I stay inside and work without being stared at for a change. I can lay in my hammock and read a book without my neighbors seeing me do it and think it a perfect time to come over and bug me while I do it.

Totally worth it.

Even if it means I definitely won't be getting to Bar Harbor this summer. And possibly the next summer. And maybe even the summer after that...

All right, so it's not that expensive but still... Holy Hell.

So the good news is, if everything works out the way it's supposed to, I'll have a fenced in yard by the end of June. Of course, Fence Guy's wife is eight months pregnant so some delay just may be inescapable. I guess we'll find out.

In other news, the Red Sox swept the Yankees this weekend and, in doing so, have managed to hit .500 for the first time this season. Go Boston! I don't really care about the .500 (well, all right, you know I do) but I just really like saying the Red Sox swept the Yankees. You know what? I'm going to say it again. Louder this time:

The Red Sox swept the Yankees.

Oh yeah. That was an excellent end to the weekend.

I'd also like to thank everyone who weighed in on my latest Couch to 5K Challenge crisis. I have decided to continue on with the challenge (at least until my knees give out. Which I suspect could be any day now...) but if anyone from The Store asks, I had to quit because of shin splints. Fortunately, no one from The Store reads this blog (the fact that I'm still employed there is evidence of that) so I think I'll be able to pull off this minor deception. Last week I ended up running/walking a total of six miles. My shifts at The Store kind of screwed around with my work out time. So far this week I've done 7.5 miles and it's only Monday. Go me.

But for now, I have to go attend to other things. Monday is errand day to be followed, provided the rain holds off, by agility class but despite all this, I still have one hour to spend working on the latest problem scene in Second Nature. I'll probably end up spending it browsing for books and/or mp3s on Amazon but it's the thought that counts, right?

Hope Monday is good to you!

Oh, and hey, one last thing... Doesn't my lawn look AMAZING?!?!?!?!?!?

And

13 comments:

  1. It sounds like your new fenced in yard is going to make your life a little easier and a little more private. Small price to pay, right?

    Good luck.

    Not much of a baseball watcher but since I am from NY I would have to root for the Yankees or the rest of my family might disown me.

    I'd rather watch football!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep - I LOVE our fence. worth it. But sucks to spend that much on something that isn't a VACATION!

    GO RED SOX!

    I'm for anyone crushing the Yankees, but lived in Seattle, so no matter how pointless it may seem, I have a soft spot for the Mariners...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand that, M.J. with all the renovations I have to make to my new place. The bills have and will make vacationing and conference attending near impossible for the next two years. But it will be worth it. I'll finally have my writing cave. Hope the fence works for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've said it before, but I love your yard. From here it doesn't look like I'd want to fence it in. But neighborhood dogs would probably be my bane, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a beautiful back yard. What a shame to fence it in. But, as a dog owner, I understand the need to keep your dog in and other dogs out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't fencing outrageous?
    And your lawn looks nice. Of course, all I can envision is mowing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fencing is outrageous, the price of food is outrageous, car repairs are outrageous, getting a new roof is outrageous, and the list goes on and on. I think it's all outrageous because the top 1% in our country control all the wealth. If there was more even weath distribution to everyone, then we'd all have more money to spend and the things that we need (which aren't outrageous) would be less a sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi M.J. :) Your lawn does look amazing! Good luck with the fencing!

    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does look gorgeous. And I believe the fence would be worth it. You can have a holiday in your private back yard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go lawn!!!!! It looks way better than mine.....all the blackberry bushes I hacked away last fall are now trying to reclaim the big bare spot. And all the grass seed Jupiter spread all over the bare spot probably just got washed away in the downpour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pictures were lovely. Not a ball fan of any kind. Good luck with the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hiya. Guess what? You're invited! I am starting up a networking community for supporters of the LGBT community, as well as readers and writers of LGBT fiction and nonfiction, called Everything LGBT. The blog will discuss LGBT novels, movies, music, rights/issues, current events, etc. I would love it if you would join and share the link with whomever you can. I believe that media will bring the next big change, and I want to help to make that happen. Thanks.

    http://everythinglgbt.blogspot.com

    <3 Gina Blechman

    ReplyDelete
  13. We had a fence put in about 6 years ago - and it has been heaven sent. I also have a dog that had to be walked daily prior to the fence. Now, as you say, she can go in and out and feel some measure of 'freedom' in our yard, even run if she wants to (with me walking her, there was no running. Just sayin'.)

    You'll love your fence.

    ReplyDelete