Wednesday, April 27, 2011

W Is For Whedon


I don't know if you know this about me but I'm completely slightly obsessed with Joss Whedon. I'm not stalking him yet or anything. It's not like I'm hiding out in the bushes outside his house with my face pressed against his living room windows. And that's not just because I have no idea where exactly he lives. Although, if I did, I admit I might consider hiding in the bushes out the house. Probably wouldn't press my face up against the window though. I wouldn't want to leave smudges. That would be rude. And I wouldn't want to be rude.

I first started watching Buffy The Vampire Slayer at the start of its third season with the episode Anne. That's the one where Buffy's run away from Sunnydale and is calling herself Anne and waiting tables in L.A. It was written and directed by Joss Whedon. I think it was a scene toward the end of the episode where Buffy, battling a seemingly endless onslaught of goons, pauses on a platform, weapon in hand, and glances behind her to the left (It's the shot that closes out the show's opening credits until season six). It looked so bad ass that I was immediately in love with both the show and its creator.

And I haven't looked back since.

I went on to watch Angel (Joss appeared as Numfar in the episode "Through the Looking Glass") and you already know my feelings on Firefly (where Joss appeared as "man at funeral" in the episode "The Message"). I even watched every single minute of Dollhouse. Joss showed up in the Veronica Mars season two episode "Rat Saw God" and directed some of my very favorite episodes of both The Office and Glee.

Joss's movie Serenity is my favorite movie of all time. I'll even go see The Avengers when it comes out because Joss is directing it. I do protest this movie a little though because that movie is the reason why there's no sequel to Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog.

Have I ever mentioned how much I love Dr. Horrible? Because if I haven't, I've certainly meant to...

I love what he does with story. I love how in the span of a single episode he can make you laugh and then make you cry. He will go for the jugular and make you beg him to hurt you just a little bit more (stolen from which Buffy episode written and directed by the master himself, kids?). Did you see the season two finale of Buffy? Or the season five finale? What about the season five episode The Body or season six's masterpiece Once More With Feeling? There is some seriously awesome writing to be had there. And that's just one small part of one series.

Joss will do what needs to be done for the best interests of the story and that is exactly the philosophy I want to keep with my writing.

It's why my religion on Facebook is seriously listed as W.W.J.W.D?

Joss is Boss.

Have any favorite Joss Whedon moments I didn't mention? Have another writer you'd totally stalk if society didn't deem it crazy? Tell me in the comments. I swear your secrets are safe with me.


17 comments:

  1. Love Firefly and Serenity. And Dr. Horrible. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you figure out his address please let me know! We can stalk together, because stalking in teams somehow seems slightly less creepy.

    Anyway, I'm a total Whedonite myself, though I think you already knew that.

    I love his ongoing battle with Fox about cancelling Firefly, and when they renewed Dollhouse he said something along the lines of, "This is awkward...they forgot to cancel my show!"

    I love that he stays true and loyal to those he's worked with before. Actors, writers, producers, etc, all pop up in his different projects. Gotta love it!

    Now what's this about the Dr. Horrible sequel being cancelled because of The Avengers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still miss Firefly. I mourn it with Joss. Best show ever made. :-(

    And Dr. Horrible is fun.

    Wish Joss would make us a new show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if The Avengers canceled the continuation of Dr. Horrible but it certainly indefinitely postponed it. I don't remember where I read that but it made me very cranky for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and yeah, Danni-- Let's totally stalk Joss together. I agree, it's way less creepy in teams. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joss is Boss!!! You are so right. I'll be the third in that stalking team. I love Whedon and have been watching Buffy since the Kristy Swanson movie. Watched all his shows... Angel, Dollhouse and the ultimate all time greatest show on Earth...Firefly. He creates the strongest women and I think his shows should be required study for young girls. They get exposed to way too many examples of weak, messed up women and girls. Females who can't function without the men in their lives, who think being pretty is the only way to get ahead and who sit in judgment of their sisters, bullying them into conforming. Sorry! Stepping off the soapbox. Kick-ass post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate to break it to you, but even if (when) you get Joss's address, you'll be hard-pressed to press your nose against his living room window; there'll already be a swarm of rabid fans four rows deep, and you'll have to elbow your way through. I guess what I'm saying is this: wear elbow pads.

    By the way, one of my favorite bits of Whedon trivia is that after hearing people say Buffy was successful only because of its dialogue, he wrote an episode with practically none ("Hush"), and that's the only one that won an Emmy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Joss Whedon as well! I used to watch Buffy and Angel. I'm hoping he makes a new show!
    nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think if you're write anything that gets posted on the internet, it's a given that you're a Whedon fan.

    You didn't mention the Buffy Season 8 comic books. They're pretty great, not all written by Joss, but overseen by him I'm sure. The middle ones are a bit stupid, actually, but the beginning and ending of Season 8 are full of his brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My youngest Sister in law and I are both big Buffy fans !!!!

    RJRdaydreamer

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore Joss as well! His shows are awesome, though I admit I haven't seen Dollhouse! not because I don't want to...just 'cause I live in Australia and have a shitty TV and we can't get to any of the online TV watching stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent post!

    Angel episode 'I Will Remember You.' I've cried over a TV show before, but nothing like that. Ever! Thank you, Joss, for creating such beautiful characters and the most amazing stories. Love you!

    Marie at the Cheetah

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not really the stalker type. But Joss Whedon sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally just read on FB that there would be a sequel to Dr. Horrible soon. I have my fingers crossed it will still include Nathan Fillion (and his penis). I love Whedon's stuff, too! I like the mix of tension and humor he manages--most TV tries to be one thing or the other, and I WANT BOTH!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a new convert, but not less fanatical than the original die-hards. I'm still savoring my virgin tour of Firefly. I'm about half way through and want to slow down time so it will last longer. *Sigh*

    And my love of Dr. Horrible is split evenly between Whedon and Harris. *Double sigh*

    ReplyDelete