Friday, April 22, 2011

S Is For Smorgasbord

I thought about making S stand for Shitty Day since that's what I've been having (both literally-- damn my cat's lack of bowel movement control-- and figuratively) lately but I am going to rise above it all (or at least as high as I ever get-- no drug jokes please.) because in the immortal words of Penny, "any time you're hurt there's one who has it worse around." So instead of writing a rant I will write about some of my favorite S things.

S Books:

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson- It's not the first time I've mentioned this book on this blog and it probably won't be the last. I really can't say enough good things about this book. You should read it if you haven't already. It won't take you very long. It's brilliant. It really is.

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater- The first novel in her Wolves of Mercy Falls series. A great start to a very interesting series. The third book in the series comes out in July. I already have my copy pre-ordered. This novel also introduced me to Stiefvater's other novels, most notable Ballad.

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin- The third novel in his epic Song of Ice and Fire series. I couldn't read this book fast enough. Really drove home the point that Martin does not take prisoners in his writing. You know, in case the first two novels weren't proof enough of this. The fifth book in this series comes out the same day as Maggie Stiefvater's book. And yeah. I already have my copy pre-ordered. I really can't wait for July. And not just because the chance of snow will be significantly less than it seems to be this month.

S Movies:

Serenity (2005)- Written and directed by my hero Joss Whedon, Serenity is the Big Damn Movie based on the best gorram show to ever be stupidly canceled by the Fox television network. River Tam's bar fight scene is something I never get tired of watching. Best line (well all right, one of the best lines)? I aim to misbehave.

Shakespeare In Love (1998)- I really adore this film (directed by John Madden, written by Tom Stoppard and Marc Norman) and I could watch it over and over again and occasionally do (much to The Man's delight). Joseph Fiennes was robbed-- robbed I tell you!-- of an oscar nomination. But as much as I love this movie, I still think Saving Private Ryan should have won for best picture.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)- Written and directed by Frank Darabont, this is, I think, the best Stephen King adaptation currently out there. It's beautiful and symbolic. The scene where Red plays the harmonica just a little teeny tiny bit blows my mind every damn time. Best line? Get busy living or get busy dying.

Stranger Than Fiction (2006)- Written by Zach Helm and directed by Marc Forester, this is one of the very small number of Will Farrell movies I actually like. And by like, I mean 'adore' because this is such a great movie. There are a lot of great lines but I'm partial to this one: Little did he know. That means there's something he doesn't know, which means there's something you don't know, did you know that?

S Television Shows:

Supernatural- I heart the Winchester boys. I have no idea how this season's going to end but if one thing's for sure, it's that I'll need oxygen before the end credits come up. And to think, I almost gave up on this show in the middle of the first season. I know. It's not something over which I am proud. The important thing is that I have stuck with them. In the immortal words of Dean Winchester: "Do you think it's 'cause we're awesome? I think it's 'cause we're awesome." Oh yes, boys. It most definitely is. Did you see this season's episode where they get sent to an alternate universe where they are actors on a show called Supernatural? Hi-larious. Really. This week, the Winchesters go back to the wild, wild west. I'm so very excited.

Scooby Doo- Couldn't not mention my favorite animated canine crime solver. Sorry, McGruff but you ain't got nothin' on Mystery, Inc. I've always wanted to have a Great Dane named Scooby Doo so I could stand at my door and shout "Scooby Doo! Where are you!"


S Activities:

-Sleeping. As an insomniac, I just don't get to do this enough. I really do love it though.
-Snoozing. See above.
-Singing in the shower. I thought about posting a video here of me singing but it turns out that's above my technical know-how. But I really can sing. Nicely too. In key and everything. Well, mostly in key. There are even people out there who would even attest to this fact. If you're one of those people, feel free to say so in the comments.
-Swearing. I'm the daughter of a sailor. And I swear like it.

S Music:

The Swell Season- I don't know if you've heard of them, but they're amazing. This duo is made up of Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. Did you see that movie Once that came out in 2006? Well, they were the two main characters and they won an academy award for the film's song "Falling Slowly". Below is a clip of one of my favorite songs. It's called "Leave" and the ending is really just something else. This version happens to only feature Glen Hansard. But go check them out. You don't be disappointed. Well, you mightbe if you're a die hard heavy metal fan or something but other than that, you'll probably find something you like. Anyway, here's "Leave":




So that's all on my end today, kids. In the comments, I invite you to tell me your favorite S things. Bonus points to anyone who's brave enough to tell me their favorite swear. Mega Bonus points to anyone whose favorite swear makes me laugh. Yes, I am ten years old.

Happy Friday, all.

22 comments:

  1. Yay! Someone else who likes Supernatural. Damn, those boys are hot (so was their father...). I especially love the goofy shows, like the TV show episode. Other than that, I agree with far too many of your S's to list them all, but I do need to look into the books you've listed.

    As far as profanity, it depends on the week, I think. The first one that popped into my head today was mother bitches, which I believe I heard in Bad Boys from a store clerk. That one's not for use when I'm actually mad, though. It just amuses me when I think of that whole scene. I also cuss like a sailor, but I guess that doesn't mean I cuss creatively. ;0p If I'm talking about someone, it is probably douche canoe or ass turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post for S.

    Nice to see you in the A2Z blogging challenge.
    I am following your blog.

    Please stop by my blog and if you like please follow my blog.

    With warm welcome,

    http://mydaughtersdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your S post! Another Serenity fan! :) My favorite S is Shadow, my cat, named after the main character in Neil Gaiman's American Gods, who also wrote Stardust, which was first a comic, then a novel, then a movie! :)

    Greetings from another A to Z blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice "S" selections, especially Scooby-Do! But I vote for your first idea "Shitty Day," I can SO relate :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the book recs, I'm ready for something new. Can't think of any particularly funny cuss words right now. For me, it's all in the timing and delivery.

    I’m A-Z Blogging on Langley Writes about Writing and Langley’s Rich and Random Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew you were going to do something about Serenity today! Best movie ever! On of my favorite moments is the face River makes when Simon asks "Am I talking to Miranda now?" - Genius. I loved Shakespeare in Love and Stranger Than Fiction but have yet to see or read The Shawshank Redemption.. It's on my to do list...

    You really have to stop listing books I will want to read! I already have a list that will last me a few years! And I've been meaning to find you on goodreads... I will soon.

    Also, I've only seen the first Season of Supernatural, and have been dying to catch up! I love me some Winchester...

    ReplyDelete
  7. SERENITY! (And a lot of other fun things on here for S.) But I latched onto Serenity because it is one of my all-time fave movies. It's so hard to pick favorite quotes because it's all so QUOTABLE, but I really love: "She IS fine! Except for being still crazy, she's a picture of health!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. I love sleep too, partly because I get ideas from my dreams, though I have too many ideas. Wish it didn't take hours just to fall asleep.

    I have read only one of those books. Shiver was an interesting book. Still need to get the sequel at some point and I want to check out her other series as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE Serenity
    Shiver and the others are on my list.
    We live in a Scooby Doo house. Totally.
    And Speak? Totally, totally LOVED...
    I could go on.
    But I think you covered most of it =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Shannon- Some mega bonus points are on their way to you!

    @Alex- Yes, I am. Thanks for noticing. =)

    @everyone- LOVE how many Serenity fans are out there! Hip Hip Hooray!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with Shannon - love the original idea! I have a dog and cat who occasionally have the same problems ;)

    Good to catch up from the A-Z challenge. Thanks for visiting me. And look forward to following your posts and writing.

    warm wishes
    Debbie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shawshank was a great movie and I too love Scooby Doo and swear like a sailor! :) Have you tried potty pads for your cat?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great list. I loved Speak and Shiver, and Stranger Than Fiction is one of my all time favorite movies. I'm not a big Will Ferrell fan either, but he's amazing in that one.

    I haven't seen Serenity. This is probably dangerous to admit...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry you're having a crappy day but I do like your s-words.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post idea! For my S's...
    My favorite characters: Spenser (Robert B. Parker) and Sirius Black (Harry Potter Series)
    Favorite movies: Serendipity and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
    Favorite music band: Shinedown

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wandered over via A to Z. Great S items. I LOVE Serenity.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How is it I haven't read any of those books, yet I enjoy everything else on this list? (Serenity and Shawshank are fantastic, Stranger is the only Ferrell film I will re-watch, and I agree: Shakespeare should not have won Best Picture. Oh, and thanks to your inspiration, I'm listening to "Falling Slowly" yet again. Such a great song.) Long story short, I'd better get to reading those books...

    ReplyDelete
  18. As for Supernatural, I haven't started on season 6 yet - I probably won't get to see it for another year at least! I'm busy watching season 5 AT LAST, which it took me a LONG time to get on DVD as it was really expensive for a long time. But yeah...I always wait till I've got it all on DVD, to watch.

    I love some of those movies you mentioned, but the only book I've read is Martin's - which I adore too!

    I'm glad you didn't go with Shitty Day. Way to think positive!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Serenity...Oh how I will miss that cast, now I am pouting. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay for Serenity!

    "Shepherd once said to me: if you can't do something smart... do something right."

    I'm starting up a 'Critiquing Crusaders' program, where participants in the Second Crusade can find other writers to exchange critiques with or form critiquing circles. If you're interested, come by The Kelworth Files to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great choices here.

    Stranger than Fiction is plain genius. Favorite line: Aren't you relieved to know you're not a golem?

    and Glen Hansard deserves a lot more recognition. Just watching him build up to the crescendo in the middle of the song "When You're Mind's Made Up" during Once gives me chills.

    ReplyDelete