Wednesday, March 30, 2011

We Interrupt Our Regularly Scheduled Programming...


I was going to blog this morning about something nice and happy because it's a day for nice and happy things. The sun is shining, the snow is melting (more on that in a minute) and my latest book order from Amazon is at the post office, just waiting for me to come and claim it. Oh, and it's my sister-in-law's birthday and I was going to write her a special birthday blog. But now I'm mad and so blindingly so that I need to vent all over this blog because venting all over the person at whom I am so very mad at would be inappropriate and would cause The Man to give me that whole what am I going to do with you look of which I am so very fond (That was sarcasm by the way.).

I am so mad. I don't know if I made that clear earlier. Let me say it again, just to be sure.


I am so mad.


I am so mad that mad doesn't even begin to describe how very mad I am. Irate. Furious. Incensed. Frakking Pissed Off. Those come closer.


Here's what happened:

I decided to go running this morning. A stupid thing to do, I know, when in the grips of some superflu/mono hybrid mystery disease (bonus points to anyone who doesn't point out that it wouldn't be a mystery disease if I would just go see a damn doctor already) but I was tired of sitting around feeling crappy. Also, the Gator Girl was in desperate need of an honest to goodness workout because if she didn't get one soon, someone was going to kill her (she may have inadvertently broken The Man's laptop this week. That caused The Man to give me another look, one that possibly suggested that the next time the Gator Girl and I leave the house together, the locks might be changed while we're away). Plus, there's the whole revelation that we'll be receiving a major snow storm this Friday (the forecasted accumulation starts in inches and ends in feet). Add that all together and I needed to get outside and run a little.

The Gator Girl is an excellent jogging companion. She stays in the heel position without being told to. Our theory is that she does this because we're finally moving at her pace. A lot of the time, when we jog around the neighborhood, I don't even have her on a leash because she doesn't need it. Today, however, I did. And it turned out to be a very good thing.

Because some of my neighbors were home.

I love my neighborhood. I do. The road is a loop that's perfect for walking/running, the views are pretty nice and we have beach down on the river that the dogs love to visit. I would just love the neighborhood more if I didn't have the current crop of neighbors that I have (I'm pretty sure they feel the same way about me.). A lot of them have dogs and while I am a dog person I am not a fan of people who just let their dogs roam and run wherever their little legs will carry them. My neighbors have an unfortunate tendency to do this.

It makes me angry. It makes me angry when, before I take my own dogs outside in my own yard, I have to check every window in every room of my house to make sure that one of the neighborhood dogs isn't taking a crap on my lawn or pissing on my foundation. It makes me angry that I can only walk my dogs around the neighborhood at certain times during the day because otherwise, the entire walk would be spent warding off all the neighborhood dogs who think its great fun to come running out and whoever is walking past. Their reasoning for this is that their dogs love other dogs. Well, here's the thing, you jackwagons, not every dog is going to love your dog. Some dogs do not appreciate it when another dog invades his or her personal space. Some people don't appreciate it either.

I am a dog person. I just can't stand their people.

So I've worked out a schedule of safe walking/running times. But today, one of my neighbors was home when she normally isn't. And not only was she home but she was outside her home with her four dogs. Two German Shepherds, one chihuahua and one pekingese. None of the dogs were on a leash. And every single one of them came charging the Gator Girl and I when they saw us coming. To be fair, the pekingese only made it as far as the end of their driveway.

But the other three came barking and running straight at us, left the yard and crossed the road where they forced us off the pavement and into the snowbank (and consequently a pile of dog shit...so happy!) so they could bark and snarl and snap at both me and my dog.

I. Was. Not. Amused.

I'm not afraid of dogs. I'm not afraid of German shepherds or Dobermans or Rotties or pit bulls. Nor am I afraid of being bitten by dogs. It's happened enough that it doesn't much faze me anymore. But this situation was scary because while I have waded into the midst of more than one dog fight into order to break it up, I know all the dogs involved. I know the owners involved.

Nor am I suddenly in the middle of it.

I didn't know these dogs. I didn't know what they were going to do but every damn time I saw one of them try to bite the Gator Girl, I- well, all right, I first put myself in between them and my dog- I found it harder and harder to breathe. It was not a good feeling. And the swarming didn't seem to be ending.

And I didn't know the owner. What did this woman do? She stood in her driveway calling her dogs. Her dogs who obviously weren't listening because they were too busy trying to eat my dog (who, by the way, was still pretty well behaved). It took a few minutes (yes, actual minutes) before she came out to get them. The Gator Girl and I in the meantime were doing some intricate avoid getting bitten dance.

"I'm so sorry," the woman said as she dragged her two German shepherds off me and my dog. "I didn't even see you coming."

I said nothing. I stood there, looking at the fattest chihuahua I've ever seen as he continued to charge and bark at us. I may have briefly considered punting him like a football but you can't prove it.

"I'm really sorry," she said in between failed attempts to call her chihuahua to heel. "I really didn't see you."

I still said nothing. But here's what I wanted to scream say (and yeah...I'm going to use all caps. Because I'm that mad.):

YOU'RE SORRY? YOU'RE SORRY? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE NO RIGHT, NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER, TO HAVE THOSE PARTICULAR DOGS OFF LEASH IN AN YARD WITHOUT A FENCE. AND YOU STOOD THERE, JUST STOOD THERE, CALLING YOUR DOGS OVER AND OVER AGAIN WHEN THEY OBVIOUSLY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT 'COME' MEANS WHEN YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN OUT IN THE GODDAMN ROAD PULLING THEM OFF ME AND MY DOG A HELL OF A LOT SOONER THAN YOU ACTUALLY DID. THIS IS SO INCREDIBLY RIDICULOUS. I HAVE EVERY DAMN RIGHT TO BE ABLE TO JOG WITH MY DOG WITHOUT HAVING TO BE ACCOSTED BY MY NEIGHBOR'S DOGS OVER AND OVER AGAIN. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE THAT YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND THAT? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE THAT YOU THINK IT'S OKAY TO HAVE DOGS WHO DO THAT LOOSE IN YOUR YARD? AND OBVIOUSLY YOUR DOGS CHARGING PEOPLE IS A PROBLEM SINCE YOU WERE OBVIOUSLY ON THE LOOK OUT FOR PASSERS BY. GOOD JOB WITH THAT, BY THE WAY. DO YOU KNOW, DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA, HOW VERY LUCKY YOU ARE THAT I WASN'T OUT WITH BOTH MY DOGS OR OUT ALONE WITH MY GERMAN SHEPHERD? THIS WAS NOT OKAY, NOT BY A LONG SHOT WAS IT OKAY. YOUR DOGS COULD HAVE BITTEN ME, THEY COULD HAVE BITTEN MY DOG, WHICH BY THE WAY, WOULD HAVE MADE ME A BILLION TIMES MORE ANGRY THAN I ALREADY AM (YEAH, GO AHEAD AND PONDER THAT FOR A MINUTE.). GOD, YOU PEOPLE AND YOUR ABSOLUTE LACK OF ANY DOG RELATED COMMON SENSE JUST PISS ME RIGHT THE HELL OFF.

End rant.

(unrelated side note: I have no idea why everything is suddenly in italics. I don't know what I did to make it do this. I can't seem to make it stop either.)

So yeah. That's why I'm mad. I apologize to my sister-in-law. I don't want you to feel cheated out of anything so I am still going to write you a very special birthday blog. You'll just have to wait until Friday now. Congratulations, Alison, you're about to become a part of the A to Z Challenge.

9 comments:

  1. Feel better now? Sometimes it so helps to get that out there before you explode.

    I hope the rest of your day went better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that happened to you. I know we can't control other people, but (sometimes) wouldn't it be nice?
    Hope your day has gotten better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, sorry had to laugh at the rant not the situation. The exact reason people fear large dogs are owners like that.

    A bit of revenge though... send her the dog poop you landed in with a note, "I'm sorry but I think this is yours. Jumped on my___ while I was avoiding your dog." :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still pretty angry and angry that I've wasted all this time being angry but now I'm starting to be just too tired to do much of anything other than seethe quietly.

    Thinking about making some chocolate chip cookies to help the healing process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your last line made me laugh out loud!

    Yeah, I'm in Alaska, kind of out of the way, and I like to run. NO ONE sees the need to put their dogs away, tie them up, or otherwise restrain them. I stopped taking my dog for runs, which is sad.
    Also, their stupid dogs will follow me on my run and then I get dirty looks from people driving by because they think I'm running with two huge dogs and didn't even bother to use a leash or a collar.

    I too am a dog person, and I too, very often hate their people...

    I will be seeing you on A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't that work out well that Alison's name starts, with, you know A. Good thing her name isn't Zelda. Trying to decide if I can pull off an A-Z challenge with all my posts being an adoption/attatchment parenting theme. Not that I'm signed up for the challenge, and I failed misrably at Post a Day, so not likely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see why you're furious. Sorry that happened to you and your dog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found you from the A-Z Challenge, it sounds like it’s going to be so much fun and I can’t wait to get started!! I’m now following your blog on GFC and I hope you have a chance to check out my blog and maybe follow me back!!
    Monica
    http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Matryoshka- I think an A to Z adoption theme would be very cool. You get Sundays off... =)

    And to everyone who commented today, I'm so glad I have to award such a huge amount of bonus points!!

    Tomorrow I'll be blogging about books so there's a chance I won't be angry at all.

    ReplyDelete