Sunday, March 13, 2011

Home Again


Well, we're home. Did you miss me? Never mind. Don't answer that. Anyway, this is what The Man and I came home to:

1. Six inches of snow on top of three inches of ice.

2. A pile of cat vomit on my sofa

3. A pile of cat shit in my office (I love my cats. Oh so much. Right?)

4. A broken dryer

5. One dead turtle

Wow. It's so good to be home. I may never go on vacation again.

The trip itself was very nice. And educational. Who knew that The Man's grandmother could work vibrators into so many different conversations? Certainly not me...

The sun did that whole shining thing and I was able to wear my sandals outdoors in March without being in danger of frostbite. The Man's grandparents got the chance to show off their grandson and I got to work on my tan. I even managed to get a little color. Of course that color was mostly red but hey, it's still a step up from the pasty white of a New Englander in winter.

In addition to showing us the Super Target, the grandparents also took us to the Butterfly Rainforest in Gainesville. It's part of the Florida Museum of Natural History on the University of Florida's Gainesville campus. It's really very impressive. It's an enclosed area just filled with all different sorts of butterflies, turtles, koi and birds. You can walk on paths through the enclosure and have to watch your step because the butterflies can and do land anywhere. One hung out on my shoulder for a bit while another took up residence on Gram's head. There are also some little quail birds that look like marshmallows on legs but they hid so well I couldn't get a picture of them. Here are some of the pics I did take (not all of them would center properly. I don't know why):


Feeding Time

The Rainforest




The Blue Morpho Butterfly. It's blue on the inside. Really.
My hitchhiker

Overall, it's a really neat place to visit. If you're ever in the position to go, I highly recommend it.

That just leaves me with getting back to normal (or whatever passes for it). I guess that means I have to get back to my WIP...

6 comments:

  1. At least the butterflies were alive! Sorry about your turtle. And the cat mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics. It's not easy getting butterflies to sit still for you. You must be a butterfly whisperer.
    It Just Got Interesting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! Sorry about the turtle as well. You can at least clean up cat poo. We're glad to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the photos ! So Sorry about your turtle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Man's grandma sounds like the woman to meet! Glad you had fun. Sorry about the homecoming, especially your turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am definitely not a butterfly whisperer. It was ridiculously easy to take pics of the butterflies. Except for the Blue Morpho. It was so gorgeous on the inside and I couldn't get a good picture of it because one wouldn't stay open long enough.

    ReplyDelete