Tuesday, March 1, 2011

February 2011 Book Review


Well, the parade of pathetic reading habits continues. I only managed three books this month. The good news is that only one of them was a vampire romance novel. I think that's progress. Baby step progress, maybe, but progress all the same. March will be devoted to reading Sci-fi and fantasy fiction. Or at least some of it. Anyway, here's what I read in February and what I ended up thinking of it:

Lover Avenged- J.R. Ward- I said I’d read something more substantial some time during the month. The month is not yet over. At least I don’t think so. I am kind of slacking as far as reading (and hell, everything else) is concerned. The title made me think this novel would be about a different vampire warrior guy but I was wrong and it doesn't really matter. Anyway, there’s one character in this book who showed up for the first time in the second novel of this series and has been kind of interesting only I know his secret origin past (I knew it the second I first saw him in the second book). It still hasn’t been revealed nor have any of the characters figured it out. It’s getting kind of sad. Since I believe he is the focus of the next book in this series, perhaps they’ll figure it out then.

The Tenth Circle- Jodi Picoult- The one thing I’ve found I can say about each and every one of her novels (that I’ve read. There are still some I haven’t gotten to yet.) is that they’re not boring. I find I spend a lot of time wondering where the hell things are going because, more often than not, I have no idea. This book was like that, obviously. However, unlike some of her other books (The Pact and Keeping Faith, for example), I wasn’t really all that thrilled with the ending. It felt unfinished to me and I don’t often say that about novels. Usually I find I say the opposite. A lot of books, I think, end too late and would’ve been stronger had they chopped off the last twenty or so pages and let the readers’ imagination do the rest. I didn’t think that at all with this book. I needed a little bit more. Still, gorgeous writing and illustrations.

Second Glance- Jodi Picoult- I really enjoyed the beginning of this book. I thought the second part of the book was gorgeous, just absolutely gorgeous. However, I lost interest by the end of the book. It felt as though I’d been reading it forever and it would never end. And then, when it did end, I wasn’t all that moved. But did I mention just how damn beautiful Part Two was? Because if I didn't, I meant to.

8 comments:

  1. i really think i need to give Picoult another chance. i tried reading one of her books (something about Whales. the song of whales? maybe) anyway i didnt like it but i feel like she has a vast enough body of work that maybe i should try again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whale novel is (I think) Songs of the Humpback Whale. I haven't read it so I can't comment on that one in comparison to her others. My favorite Picoult titles are The Pact, Nineteen Minutes and Keeping Faith. My Sister's Keeper and Plain Truth I thought were quite good also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the thoughts on these books. :) I've never read anything by Picoult--I'm intrigued, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite by Jodi is the one she published last year...House Rules. I had to hurry up and go to the library website to request the one that comes out tomorrow though because I've been anxious to read that one. And in April, the next long awaited book by Julia Spencer Fleming is coming out. I hope. It was supposed to come out last April but something happened and it's now been a whole YEAR I've been waiting for that one. Impatiently waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Which one is House Rules? I don't think I've read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished reading House Rules - very good. I've been behind in my reading lately too. Grrr.

    New follower and fellow crusader! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. House Rules is the 2010 novel..about a single mom with two teenage sons, one of whom is autistic, who is on trial for the apparent murder of his social skills tutor.

    ReplyDelete