Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Three Down, Five To Go


I pulled the plug on my ninja-esque writingfest yesterday after the fortieth or so hour when I just could no longer see or think straight and all my characters were suddenly obsessed with taking a nice long nap. I also managed to break the comma key on my keyboard. It's since been fixed but at one point, I had three pages worth of commas before I got the key unstuck. (Talk about overusing commas in your writing.) Then once it was unstuck, it just refused to work at all. This then solved my problem of comma abuse.

All in all, I created more than 2,500 words yesterday. I know 2,500 words isn't very much in the grand scheme of things but when you've been as unproductive as I have been of late, it's very exciting. Plus, I'm at that point in this section of the story where the main plot line has been worked out but the secondary lines need finishing and finessing. None of the chapters need a lot of words. They just need the right words. And in Schism (the portion of Second Nature on which I've been focusing), those secondary lines and characters have been giving me trouble. The right words have been difficult to come by.

But I am taking back the night. And day. A little bit at a time.

So those 2,500 words yesterday made it possible for me to move three of the eight chapters I'm working on this week into the "Done" column. I also chipped away at the others so I'm optimistic that I'll be able to move a couple more over either later tonight (have to take the vengeful Fat Cat to the vet this afternoon...never a good time for anyone involved) or early tomorrow.

Maybe I can make this goal happen after all.

We are so very happy, we do the dance of joy.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting so much accomplished! I'm stuck in my current WIP, too. And at the climax! I thought it would be the easiest part to write, but oh how reality is different from the world in my head!

    I use commas pretty shamelessly, so the idea of my comma button breaking has me very nervous now!

    ReplyDelete