Sunday, February 20, 2011

Point Break


No, despite the title of this blog and the use of the picture, I will not be writing about the Keanu Reeves/Patrick Swayze cimematic masterpiece. Although I am now inspired to have a Keanu Reeves moviefest, starting with Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, followed by Point Break and Speed, then finishing with The Matrix (only the first one though because I think the other two suck). I'll make the whole thing into a drinking game to include the following: take a drink/shot every time Keanu says "Whoa."

Maybe next weekend. Who's with me? Heather?

But that's another blog for another time. Tonight's entry is inspired by me having finally reached the breaking point where my cats are concerned. And not really both cats (although MEGA CAT is still on the shit list and will be for the rest of her life. Or my life since I am sure she'll continue to live forever, just to spite me...), just Vader.

Poor Vader. It's not even really her fault.

It started this morning when I came downstairs, feeling good, feeling happy and actually looking forward to working out. That ended about two minutes later when I discovered the trail of cat shit leading into the laundry room and the fairly fresh pile sitting in the corner of my office.

I said some not nice words. I said a lot of not nice words, causing The Man and the dogs to make themselves scarce and seek shelter from Hurricane M.J. in a dark corner at the far ends of the house.

As it turns out, one of the side effects of the antibiotic Vader's been on for the snotty nose thing is diarrhea. And a lot of it. But it means I can't justify being pissed off about the lapses in litter box etiquette because she can't help it. I mean, this next bit is going to be disgusting, I mean really really disgusting, but she doesn't have much, if any, control over it. I know this because it's happened while she's been sleeping. Just kind of slips on out and all over whatever she happens to be napping on.

I just can't catch a break.

But I did experience a break today. I lost it. I've tried to be very zen about this whole thing with Vader and I think, for the most part, I've done that. I've tried being cool, I've tried having a sense of humor about it, I've tried everything. I made a commitment to this cat and I've tried my absolute best to do right by her (I mean, come on, I've taken her to four different vets in two different states for crying out loud) but I just can't get ahead. I don't know what's wrong with her, no one knows what's wrong with her (she's seen four different vets now who have had four different conclusions and NONE of them seem to have panned out) and we can't fix it. Every damn medication we try ends up screwing up something else.

What the hell am I supposed to do?

Today I answered the question by yelling at everything and nothing and being an all around grump while I made the rounds around the house cleaning up all the things that needed cleaning up. I even made rude, snarky comments to my Wii instructor every time he tried to tell me to relax during yoga. After yoga, strength training and a thirty minute run, I felt less angry.

Still frustrated though.

I stopped the latest antibiotic to see if the face swelling would go down because that's what we did with the last antibiotic to which she was allergic. So far, it hasn't worked. As far as I know, she hasn't had any more diarrhea incidents which is nice but her nose is still oozing snot and her eyes are starting to fill up again with crud.

And the craziest thing is that even though Vader is afflicted with all these stupid nameless infections, the Mega Cat is afflicted with nothing but malevolence.

Just can't win. I'm completely at a loss as to what I should do now. I feel like I'm just bailing out a sinking boat but the other choices available are just not good enough.

Now I am sad. Sad and mad and definitely not rad.

How about some good news, then?

The Big Ass Bulletin Board is on the wall. The Man came through for me Friday evening. I'm looking forward to being able to spend some time this week getting everything in place. I will post pictures soon.

And I have some truly excellent selfless friends. I want to give a big shout out to Carl and Linda and Julia for spending some time on Saturday afternoon with me at my mother's house shoveling out a much needed path to the oil fill. You three went above and beyond the call of friendship and I shall soon shower you with baked goods (Don't worry. I'm not doing the baking. Just the buying. That's a gift for all involved...) to thank you further. I heart my friends.

And last, but not least, I want to thank all my new followers. I hit the 100 followers mark some time today and I'm floored. I remember when I was excited to have reached 10 followers. I could never imagine what it would be like to have ten times that many. I really wish I could do a giveaway or reward you with something other than a sob story about my disease ridden cat. I shall try to do better in the future. But a big, BIG shout out to Rachel Harrie for spearheading the Writers' Crusade experience.

So, if you choose to comment on this blog, tell me something good, something happy or give props to someone to whom you are grateful. Lord knows we need more of that in our lives...

Until next time.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, man. You tricked me with promises of Keanu! Sorry to hear about your cat...bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Bill & Ted, Speed and Matrix. A lot. :D

    And I love Patrick Swayze.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll have to follow the Keanu moviefest with a Patrick Swazye moviefest. Dirty Dancing, Road House, Ghost and To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar

    ReplyDelete