Monday, February 28, 2011

In The Wee Hours Of The Morning


Hey, look. It's coming up on 3am and guess what I'm not doing. If you said 'sleeping', you'd be correct. So I'm going to blog instead.

Technically, it's Monday morning. The Vacation Week free-for-all has come to an end and a stillness should now settle over the Mount Washington Valley. I don't wish to seem ungrateful to the all mighty tourism dollar, without which I would be unemployed, but I'm kind of glad the majority of them have cleared out. I can't even tell you the number of times some out of state jackwagon came thisclose to hitting my car (you know, with me in it). Don't other states have traffic laws or is New Hampshire somehow the only one? Our state motto is "Live free or die" and yet we still obey red lights and four way stops.

Well, some of us do.

The important part is I accomplished two of the three goals I set at the beginning of the week. And they were probably the most important goals to reach. First of all, I did not kill any of my co-workers or customers. And second of all, I did not hang myself during the screening of the Justin Bieber movie. This, of course, means that I have failed yet again to reach my writing goal. But really, I should have known better than to set a writing goal during the perfect storm of vacation weeks.

Sunday was a day off and not just from the day job but from pretty much everything. Heather and I went to the all you can eat breakfast buffet and then hit the movie theater for a double header. Heather worked a few shifts at the theater over vacation week so we got to see our movies for free. This was good because if I had paid money to see the first movie, Hall Pass, I would have been pissed.

And this is coming from the woman who paid good money to see Justin Bieber. in 3-D.

Hall Pass is not a good movie. Heather and I laughed for maybe the first twenty minutes but then it stopped being funny and started being very unfunny. Instead of laughing, we were just kind of cringing. I especially didn't like Jenna Fisher and Christina Applegate in this movie. I don't think it was their fault. I think it was the material. And I swear that the beach house on Cape Cod (in August) had snow on the ground. Which it shouldn't have. And the snow might have been sand but it really looked like snow. Anyway, disappointing, very disappointing. But it's a Farrelly Brothers film (which I didn't actually realize until the end credits) so perhaps I just should've known.

The second movie we saw was the Liam Neeson thriller Unknown. This movie was better. Of course, it would have been hard not to be better. I'm not going to give away any of the plot details but I am going to say I didn't realize that January Jones was such a bad actress. I haven't seen her in anything else so I don't know if it was just in this movie that she sucked or if she's an all around bad actress. If you happen to have an opinion on this, feel free to let me know your thoughts. So yeah, Unknown wasn't bad. I much preferred Liam Neeson in Taken. Between the two of them, Taken is the one I'd want to watch again.

I came home from the moviefest just in time to watch the Cowboys on the Amazing Race go from dead last to third place. Woo Hoo! And then it was time for the Oscars. I posted my picks for a few categories just before the telecast and ended up with a winning percentage of 71%. I was a little worried early on when I started off 0 for 3. James Franco didn't seem all that interested in hosting the awards and Anne Hathaway, at times, seemed like she had downed an entire case of Red Bulls before hitting the stage. The opening bit was very funny though and contained two of my favorite lines. The first was Alec Baldwin accepting a capri sun-esque juice box of Ambien and saying, "Ambien! Don't mind if I do!" And then a little later when Morgan Freeman appeared and said, "Alec likes me to narrate his dreams. He says I have a soothing voice."

Hey, Morgan Freeman...I think you have a soothing voice too. If I ever get to sleep, wanna come and narrate my dreams too?

So that was last week. This is this week (how's that for deep?) and I am going to get caught up (if such a thing actually exists) and maybe even a little bit ahead (try not to laugh too hard at the idea of me getting ahead. You could hurt yourself). It's important that I accomplish things this week because this time next week, I'll be sleepless in Florida. You know, just for a change.

Here's hoping you all have wonderfully productive weeks. Until next time...

7 comments:

  1. YAY for accomplishing two out of three goals last week! I hope you get everything done this week too so you can enjoy your time in FLorida.

    I am going to pay this week for not doing more last week. I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos on the accomplishments and yes other states have traffic laws. I think the minute a traveler crosses a state line they forget them though :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the opening bit was the best part. James Franco and Anne Hathaway were not a great pick. The entire ceremony seemed to be lacking in class, if you ask me.

    January Jones is on Mad Men and does a good job, but it's a very dramatic role. I can't really imagine her in a thriller...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey at least you accomplished two very important things- LOL. Best of luck with all you need to do this week

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never watch awards show. That would have definitely put me to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I always find myself wishing I was enthralled with something much less frivolous than award shows. You know, something like CSPAN.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi M. J., nice to meet you. Sorry it took me this long to come by for a visit. Thanks for following me. I totally ignored the Oscars this year and apparently, that was a good thing.
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium

    ReplyDelete