Saturday, January 22, 2011

Top Tunes #21-30


So a while back I signed up to be a part of a blogfest, hosted by author Alex J. Cavanaugh where all participants will, on Monday the 24th, blog about their top ten favorite songs of all time. We'll list the song, the band and why we love it. I signed up because I do really love to make list of the things I love. Weird, I know, but some people juggle geese (Name That Reference!).

Anyway, it's a good thing I've had a while to consider this because I had a very hard time narrowing this list down to just ten titles. I started by just listing songs I loved. I had about fifty titles that popped into mind. Fifty, of course, is far too many. So I looked at my iPod and looked to see how many times I had skipped some of these songs I supposedly loved. That helped narrow down the list some but still not enough. Then I took other factors into consideration, for example, how many times have I sung a particular title in the shower? Could I recite a song's lyrics off the top of my head? Would I be laughed at if I put a certain song on my list? All right...so I didn't really think about that last one...much anyway.

It was fun to make this list. I have to amend the title of the list to say that these are my current favorite songs of all time because if I had been asked to make such a list back in the eighth grade, it would've been entirely composed of Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Debbie Gibson and yes, Tiffany. As it stands now, none of those four ladies made the top ten. Sorry, Tiffany. As life changes so does my taste in music. Right now I gravitate toward songs with powerful lyrics that make me feel something, reflect my writing and, sometimes, just make me laugh.

But, as you may have gathered from the title of the blog, I couldn't really narrow it down any less than thirty. But as Monday is to be devoted to the top ten, I have decided to use the days leading up to Monday to showcase the other songs that I just didn't want to leave out. And yes, if I hadn't been lying comatose on my couch on Friday, this countdown probably would've started then with an additional ten songs (I'll blog about those on Tuesday, maybe). So here they are, #21-30 of my (current) favorite songs of all time.

30. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses- That's right. I'm a proud 80's child. And this list will show it.

29. Tales of Brave Ulysses by Cream- What can I say? This song is just frakking awesome.

28. True Colors by Cyndi Lauper- At least she made the top thirty, right? A beautiful song with a beautiful message. Sappy, maybe, but I don't care.

27. Keeper of My Heart by the Indigo Girls- Simple instrumentation, powerful lyrics. It's one of those songs whose lyrics make me think of my writing. Only some of you will know what this means, but this song is a Cate and James song.

26. The Ghost of You by My Chemical Romance- I don't even remember how I got into listening to this group but I'm glad I did because on their album Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge I found this song. A wonderful blend of lyrics and music that has been long on my writing playlists.

25. Walk Like An Egyptian by the Bangles- I have listened to this song many, many times. Perhaps too many times. Funny story about it, back in high school, during an algebra class where I was filling out my SAT forms and selecting the three schools to which I wanted my (soon to be less than stellar) scores sent, I pondered having the scores sent to the American University of Egypt or in Egypt or something like that. Point was, I was going to send my scores to Egypt. My PIC, Michelle, said "Can you speak Egyptian?" as though that would be the only thing keeping me from going to school in Egypt. I very coolly answered, "No, but I can walk like one." My SAT scores probably would've been better served had I actually used those algebra classes to learn how to solve for X instead. Live and learn, kids. Live and learn.

24. Running Up That Hill by Placebo- I think a number of bands or artists have covered this song but I am only familiar with the Placebo version. I first heard it on an episode of Bones (Judas on a Pole, season two). It's been on my writing playlist ever since.

23. Out of the Deep- from the John Rutter Requiem- I'm not an overly religious person (or even a mildly religious person or anything close to resembling a religious person) but I love this entire composition. I first sang this song (along with the rest of the Requiem) with my high school choir back in the mid 90's and I've continued to sing it ever since. It's a gorgeous piece of choral work with an equally gorgeous cello solo. I do love cello. I highly recommend the entire Requiem to anyone. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

22. Dancing Queen by ABBA- Much to my co-workers' delight, I'm sure, I break into some truly terrible dancing every time this song puts in an appearance on my iPod. I love this song so much, I've referenced it in at least two of my WIPs.

21. Vampire Heart by Tom McRae- Thanks to Fox's So You Think You Can Dance, I discovered this phenomenal singer/songwriter. They featured the song You Only Disappear, which is lovely, but Vampire Heart is what makes the list. The lyrics are so dammed beautiful (I'll likely be writing that phrase a lot the next few days). I especially love this line "If it don't end in bloodshed, dear/ it's probably not love". It perfectly reflects one of the love stories in my WIP.


So that's how it starts but how will it end? Be sure to tune in tomorrow when I reveal songs 11-20 on the Great Music Countdown of 2011...

2 comments:

  1. My list started with about seventy, so I understand how hard it was to narrow it down to just ten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost impossible, wasn't it? I love looking through the lists and seeing stuff I'd forgotten about for mine - yours had a bunch!

    ReplyDelete