Friday, December 31, 2010

Goal Work 2010: An Ass Kicking In Review

2010 was supposed to be different. It was supposed to be MY year. It was supposed to not suck as much as it did. Things were supposed to happen. You know, good things. Great things, even. I was a wide eyed optimist last January who set five bold goals for herself and was spouting the philosophy "aim big or go home." And then the Powers That Be decided to punch me in the gut and then kick me while I was down.

So no, I didn't experience the rousing success for which I'd been hoping. This means that tomorrow, when I post my new list of goals for the year, you'll probably see a much different kind of list. 2011 is going to be an ego building year for Team Me because this year, the Fates handed our asses to us (much like the Patriots did to the Buffalo Bills last week).

So here we go...this is now the part when I look at each individual goal and tell you where I ended up with it. And I'm going to tell you right now, it's not going to look as bad as the first two paragraphs probably make it out to be. It's definitely not going to be that bad. It's just my two big writing goals I set didn't work out the way I'd hoped and well, as this blog as discussed before, and surely will discuss again, as goes my writing goes my mood. The goals I set are listed below in italics. My analysis of them follows.

1. Finish Second Nature. Specifically, my goal is to finish the book by the end of October. I’ve decided to work NaNoWriMo style, which means I’ve set myself a specific number of words to hit by the end of October. This goal is 200,000 words, based on the fact that Effigy is approximately 195,000 words and the first draft of Second Nature was longer than that story was (this goal can fluctuate as needed, of course). This gives me 304 days in which to work. The word count goal is 658 words a day. Of course, if there is any movement on Effigy, all bets are off.

And boy, did I not complete this goal. Not only did I not finish this manuscript, I didn't even hit the 200,000 word mark. I came close though. I finished at a little over 190,000 words which is still a helluva lot of words to write in the ten months I allotted myself but I am, overall, very disappointed with myself for not having done better.


2. Read 100 books. Other people have done it and now I want to do it too. I finished up with about sixty five books last year. I would have done better but I had that whole Jane Austen thing going on in April and May. I will not have that Jane Austen millstone around my neck this year so I am optimistic. But, once again, should there be any movement on Effigy, all bets are off.

All right. This one I actually accomplished. I was in doubt for a while but then The Store gave me the bestest holiday bonus ever: the gift of no payroll. Not having to go to work was a huge help. The 100th title was Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects. A very worthy 100th book.


3. Participate in NaNoWriMo 2010. My first experience with this project was a success and, ultimately, a lot of fun so I fully intend to sign up for a second go. This is a big reason why I intend to finish
Second Nature by the end of October.

Yeah. So technically I did do this one. I did participate in NaNoWriMo. And technically, I was a NaNoWriMo winner for the second straight year. Go me. However, the project did not turn out as well as I had hoped it might and once again, I was left feeling rather disappointed with my performance. This year was supposed to be so different. Sigh.


4. Try yoga. It seems like it’ll be a good thing to try out. I was hoping to have a Nintendo Wii and a Wii Fit to help me with this goal but as that has not happened yet, I suspect I’ll be going out to get myself a nice video because I do not want to go to an actual yoga class.

Fine, I accomplished this goal too. If you've read this blog for any length of time, you probably recall the early battles I had with my Wii Fit. But I did start doing yoga and actually kind of like it. When we were traveling to Las Vegas in June, I was doing yoga in the airport while we waited for our flights. This prompted Joe to call me a health nut. This, by the way, I am most certainly not. I'm a brownie addict who just happens to strike a yoga pose every now and again.

5. De-clutter. I don’t really know what to write here. There’s clutter in the house and I want to change that. I’ll go through the closets and get rid of the clothing we haven’t worn in years. I’ll clean out the basement of the boxes we put in there almost ten years ago when we moved into this house. I’ll track down the dining room table. I know I had one once. It was nice.

Well, see, here's the thing...I did kind of de-clutter the house. I didn't finish de-cluttering the house but I did get some done. I even managed to find that dining room table. Of course now the cats are pretty much living on it but at least it's not under a pile of junk any more, right?

And there you have it. My almost total lack of success on display for the world to see. The positive thing I am taking away from this experiment...I'm definitely going to do better next year. It would be almost impossible not to...

Have a happy and safe New Year's. Don't do anything I wouldn't do...

2 comments:

  1. I look at your post and I think, wow, she got a lot done. Seriously. I'm impressed.

    I don't make resolutions. I know I'd break them, so I don't make them in the first place.

    Seriously, I think you did well in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In many ways I can relate. You got a lot done and can use this as a springboard for bigger and better things in 2011!

    ReplyDelete