Tuesday, November 2, 2010

This, That and the Other Thing


I voted today. I love to vote. Democracy is my drug. That, and Nyquil. I'd like to thank The Daily Show's Indecision Forever site for providing my awesome graphic. It took longer for me to get out of polling place than it took for me to park, walk inside and do the actual voting. In New Hampshire, Independent voters such as myself as not considered Independents but rather Undeclared. I take offense at this because I am declared. I have declared myself to be an Independent. Whatever, New Hampshire.

-Speaking of politics and The Daily Show, they (in conjunction with The Colbert Report), held a rally in Washington D.C. last Saturday (The Rally To Restore Sanity And/Or Fear). My young Padawan, DC, sent me a list of the signs seen in the crowd. Here is one of my favorites:

I was told there'd be cookies

There were some other ones too but this blog program is being difficult and I can't seem to list them here all pretty like, so I'm going to skip fighting with it further. But trust me, the signs were funny.

- You know you go to Dunkin Donuts far too often when you order an egg, sausage and cheese breakfast sandwich on an English muffin and the person looks at you and says, "Why are you ordering that? You're a vegetarian who's afraid of eggs." And...yes. That is true. But the sandwich wasn't for me. It was for someone else. You don't think I go to Dunkin Donuts and buy the jumbo box of munchkins and then take them home and eat them all by myself, do you? I mean, sure, I could probably do that, and yes, maybe, just maybe, I have been known to eat a lot of donuts (particularly the chocolate ones) but I really do bring them to work and share them with my co-workers. Really.

-My NaNoWriMo project is now two days old and I am running just under 5,000 words. This means I am running ahead of schedule. I imagine things are going to start getting harder as I still don't really have a plot. Well, I have this idea that I might be able to make work but I'm not sure how to make it work. So, for now, I guess I'm treading water. But I'm still ahead of the pace. For now.

-I set a goal at the start of the year to finish writing Second Nature by the end of October. I had a tentative word count goal of 200,000. And well, now here it is, the beginning of November and I can officially declare that I missed the mark. Not only did I not finish the book, I didn't hit the projected word count. I end up at about the 190,000 word mark which is still a rather lot of words but I've come to the conclusion that Second Nature is going to end up being much longer than that. But that's December's problem. Maybe even January's.

-I am putting the finishing touches on my Firefly Quote Quiz. That's right. I had to make an entire quiz devoted to Firefly quotes because, as it turns out, they're kind of like Pringles (or is it Lays?)...you can never have just one.

Well, that about does it for tonight. I keep thinking there's something else I wanted to write about but, for the life of me, I can't think of what it is. Oh well. If I think of it, there's always tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. Loved the rally. We probably would have gone to it (I live in Arlington) but dragging three kids to an event like that would have been just that, a drag. My only complaint is that they should have let Cat Stevens finish his song.

    As for buying and eating an entire box of Munchkins, I'll bet people do that about once an hour. I'm sure they've seen it all at Dunkin Donuts.

    Good luck with Nanawrimodowhadiddy or whatever the acronym is. Churn those words out like butter!

    Cheers,
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'm tired. Reading this was like racing along behind you. Do you sleep?

    Congrats on the NaNoWriMo word count and for getting so close to your word count goal on Second Nature.

    I'm trying to think of the last time I went to a Dunkin Donuts. It's got to be 20 years ago. I'm too easily tempted, so I just don't go there.

    ReplyDelete