Monday, November 1, 2010

October 2010 Book Review


Right off the bat, I am going to apologize for any typos that may appear in this blog. I stayed up all night to get a good jump on my NaNoWriMo project (sitting pretty at 3,000 words so far so I'd say that plan worked) and am now experiencing the aftermath of having stayed up all night eating candy corns.

Sugar hangovers are bad. Very, very bad.

But hey, 3,000 words and counting. Now I just need a plot.

But this blog is about books that have a plot. Or, at least, more plot than my current project. Here's what I read last month:

Torment- Lauren Kate- The sequel to Fallen which I read earlier this year and was disappointed by. Yes, I know it makes no sense that I would then pick up the next book in the series but that’s just what I do. And I’ll read the one that follows this one too, so there. Anyway, there was something about her characters that felt false. Like she was trying too hard to force them into these specific roles and I know it’s a young adult series but so was Harry Potter and The Hunger Games and I never felt like that reading those books. You can write books for young adults without dumbing stuff down. Oh, than there was this whole thing where the couple whose love is supposed to have been eternal well maybe she’s interested in someone else, like in New Moon where you were wondering if Bella would hook up with Jacob Black and I find that just so damn annoying. You make such a big deal out of this eternal love in the opening book and then you throw it away and not even in a good way. I didn’t think it was very well executed. But after all that, yeah, I’ll still read the next one. It’s a sickness, I tell you, a sickness.

The Blue Girl- Charles de Lint- Now this is how you write a young adult urban fantasy. It wasn’t perfect but it was damn close. Faeries, ghosts and soul eaters and tough talking heroines. It was great. It really was. It didn’t dumb things down for the audience and didn’t involve a heroine who falls in love with some immortal mystical being and completely loses her ability to think for herself. Yipee!

The Boxer and the Spy- Robert B. Parker- One of his young adult mysteries. I didn’t care for this book over all. It’s too slight, I think, even for a young adult novel.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone- J.K. Rowling- It’s that time of year again, that time when I start re-reading the entire brilliant series. This time around I have decided to read the British editions of each novel. I don’t know how much I’ll have to say about them as you already know how much I worship these books but I guess we’ll find out as we go along.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets- J.K. Rowling- As much as I love the early books, I’m just really looking forward to getting to the later books. The first two titles have always been my least favorites of the series which is like saying Dollhouse has always been my least favorite Joss Whedon series, you know?

Painted Ladies- Robert B. Parker- I am surprised that anything could have broken into my Harry Potter reading but one of the last ever Spenser novels would do it. That said, I didn’t love this book. I haven’t been a Susan Silverman fan for a long time now and there she was letting her dog run off leash through the park. And you know how I feel about that… Plus, there was no Hawk.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban- J.K. Rowling- This book kicks so much ass! This is where I think the series really starts to take off.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire- J.K. Rowling-This book has a lot of great moments in it but I find the scene where the Dursleys receive the stamp covered envelope from the Weasleys to be so damn funny. Cracks me up every single time.

And that does it for October. Let's check in on the tally sheet to see where I stand for the year...

October books: 8
Year To Date Total: 88
Books Remaining: 12

Twelve books in two months? I think I can make that work. It'll be nice to achieve a goal. It's been so long since I've done that that I've nearly forgotten what it's like. Go Team Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment