Wednesday, November 24, 2010

For Which I Am Thankful...


Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and since I doubt very much I shall have the opportunity to blog tomorrow, I am going to write this entry today. It is a list of some of the things for which I am thankful. Thus the clever title. This list isn’t in any particular order, nor is it likely to be all encompassing. It is what it is.

I am thankful for my friends, all my friends (Omar! Leah! Everyone in puppy class!) but the following five get a very special mention: Mike and Heidi and Heather and Jacob and Alison. They’re the people who most often act as my sounding boards and read everything I write (particularly Mike who gets the honor of reading every draft of everything, for example twenty drafts of a particular synopsis and then the query letter to accompany it.). They’re the people who never (outwardly) flinch when I ask a completely out of left field bizzaro question such as “Do you know any interesting ways to torture people?” or “Do you think I should kill a kid” (Important note: I only torture and/or kill fictional characters. And only when the story calls for it. I swear.). I think Mike was the proud recipient of a throat slitting question once and still considers (as far as I know anyway) me his friend. Anyway, I am thankful beyond measure for this support group. Thanks for having the confidence in me I am often times lacking.

I am thankful for my family, the big bunch of specially packaged almonds we all are. I am thankful for my parents for raising me right, for instilling in me independence along with a good solid work ethic and a good sense of morals (I only kill fictional people after all). I am thankful to them for giving me a marathon length stubborn streak and not naming me Prudence or November or Persephone. I am thankful for my siblings, all three of them, even though I spent a lot of time in my youth wishing to be an only child. My foils, my antagonists, my partners in crime, thank you for being my friends and companions on this journey we know as life.

I am thankful for my niece, Jupiter, and for the once in a lifetime experience she gave to me when she joined our family. I am thankful for my godchildren and every moment I get to spend with them. If the children are our future, you three make me think it’ll be very bright indeed.

I am thankful for Joe, my significant other. Even though we more often than not bicker like the couple from On Golden Pond. Probably because of it even. I am thankful that he has accepted all the idiosyncrasies that come along with me and my writer-being (how’s that for some damn fine writing?). He never (outwardly) groans or gets irritated when I turn the bedroom lights on at two or three in the morning because I have some exciting thought I need to get down on paper. He never (outwardly) groans or gets irritated when I don’t go to bed until four or five in the morning (thus causing a billion decibels worth of noise when the dogs either come into the room with me or get up to greet me) because I’ve been up writing all night. He never (outwardly) groans over my obsession with medieval weaponry. He didn’t even get (overly) upset when I (accidentally) put that hole in the wall with my authentic Braveheart broad sword and killed that one shifty looking lamp with my quarterstaff. He didn’t get (overly) annoyed when I was rendered incapable of having a trans-atlantic phone call with him when I discovered my most precious writing notebook missing in my Yekaterinburg hotel room. He puts up with my quirks, my (occasional) bouts of bitchiness, my ever growing piles of books, my television obsession, my Dr. Horrible obsession, my Jacoby Ellsbury obsession and countless other obsessions…and even loves me in spite of it all. Thanks, sweetie. You’re the best.

I am thankful for my puppies. Although they are often times huge pains in my ass, they’re the best damn puppies around. Sure, the Gator Girl is simultaneously the most brilliant and dumbest dog I’ve ever known with both an energy and anxiety level that far outstrips the rest of us put together. Sure, Big’s obsession with marking trees and his refusal to have a bowel movement unless I’m the one walking him, is annoying. Really annoying. But they’re still my babies and I love them to pieces.

I am thankful for my job even though the bullshit to sanity ratio is way out of whack. I am thankful to still have a job, no matter how maddening it may be. I am thankful for the insanity that lives in that place if for no other reason than it gives me the ability to write some damn funny (or so you’ve told me, my faithful few readers, for whom I am also thankful) blogs. Plus, I am thankful that it’s a retail experience that requires me to work no nights and very few weekends and spend my time there often thinking about writing.

I am thankful for Sharpie Fine Point Pens. Especially the purple ones. I am also thankful for Joss Whedon. I am thankful that Harry Potter asked to be in Gryffindor and that the Twilight saga is only four books long. I am thankful for macaroni and cheese and chocolate cake. I am thankful that How I Met Your Mother coined the phrase “Slapsgiving”.

And I am thankful I will have the opportunity to spend the holiday with my family as well as Joe’s family and that we don’t have to rush home because I have to work at some ungodly hour come Black Friday. No, this year instead I’m working the late shift (9am, that is…which is late on Black Friday.)

I wish I could write more but I have to go out and brave the madness that will be the grocery store so I can get the much needed items assigned to me to bring for tomorrow’s dinner. Hope they’re not out of rolls…

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone out there.

3 comments:

  1. That was probably the best Thanksgiving post I've read. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Turkey Day:)

    I hopped over from Lola's Blog and found myself quite entertained. You possess honorable prose in your writing.
    Well done, Haleine
    EL:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thank you both for your lovely compliments. I hope your holiday was great.

    ReplyDelete