Monday, November 29, 2010

Bottom of the Ninth


So we're in the homestretch of this whole 2010 NaNoWriMo experience. And boy, am I glad. Last year at this time, I was blogging about how happy I was. I was blogging about how much I've come to love my story. I was blogging about how I'd already managed to not only hit the 50,000 mark but also surpass the 50,000 word mark by a good 2,000 words.

Not so much this year though.

It would be easy to blame the holiday weekend and I just might do that because it was busy and I did have to work the entire weekend but here's the thing, it was the same deal last year and last year was the year I had my now infamous freak out when the management team decided to make me stay late one day. They did not make me stay late this year, however, I ended up doing that anyway.

The thing was, I was just so damn tired. I know I was tired last year too but I still managed my word counts every day. Maybe the problem is that I Hate My Story. Because I do, you know, hate my story.

It was so good in my head. In my head, it was going to be the best damn thing I'd ever written (which, considering my present writing related circumstances, may not be saying a whole lot). But on paper? But on paper, it kind of sucks. I don't like it in the least bit and I don't know what to do about it. I know the point of NaNoWriMo is to just write 50,000 of a bad first draft in thirty days but this is a really terrible first draft and I am honestly looking forward to December just so I don't have to work on it anymore.

That's the spirit!

So anyway, yeah, I am 6,800 words behind right now. I have to write 6,800 words just to reach the 50,000 word mark and I am damned determined to reach that goal. Why, I don't know exactly, especially when I hate this book so much but I'd like to go out a winner, if at all possible. Fortunately in the case of NaNoWriMo, quantity trumps quality. I can worry about quality later.

Unfortunately, I am not the only roadblock standing in the way of me and my 6800 words. There's also the Gator Girl. Her stomach's really unhappy. This has made all of us really unhappy because instead of writing words, I've been spending my time scrubbing various bodily- uh- substances (they're not really fluids) out of the rug. And then there's Vader the Cat. If you remember, Vader is having a hard time (check out my September 30th blog if you need or want reminding) and it's getting harder. This morning she had a hard time all over Joe's bathroom. And Big, determined not to be left out, spent last night throwing up in my kitchen. At least he threw up over an easily cleanable surface.

I love my pets. I do, I really do (even when I've gone through a dozen rolls of paper towels in five hours). Joe, however, currently may not be as fond of them.

But he is still fond of me (or at least he was before Vader did unspeakably gross things to his bathroom) and he understands that I have this insane need to reach the 50,000 word mark before midnight on November 30th and that I am determined not to sleep until I have done as much. I also hope he understands that he's on his own for dinner until that happens.

And for all of you NaNoWriMo winners out there, I applaud your success and I am in no way completely green with jealousy. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment