Friday, October 1, 2010

September 2010 Book Review



The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
- Stieg Larsson- Eh. I feel like I was reading a completely different book from everyone else on the planet because I didn’t love it the way I thought I would. The world also embraced The DaVinci Code and I thought that was shit warmed up, so maybe I’m just contrary. I didn’t actually develop any interest in the story until about the 300 page mark and then it was really only the scenes in which Lisbeth Salander showed up. She’s an interesting character. I just hope she shows up more in the next one.

The Girl Who Played With Fire- Stieg Larsson- Better than the last but still not great. I don’t know. Maybe it loses something in the translation.

Odd Thomas- Dean Koontz- I haven’t read a lot of Dean Koontz’s novels over the years, only having picked up the few I have because Joe’s a fan but I was waiting for the third Stieg Larsson novel to become available at the library and so I picked this one up to pass the time. I don’t know if what I’m going to say next will make sense but this book was really beautifully written. I loved the rhythm and flow of the language but the story itself was a little slow. Plus, I already knew what happened to a main character before I started the book so I think that took something away from the story. Still, the first DK novel to make me think the guy can actually write. I sound like such a snob, I know but the couple of other ones I read didn’t make me feel anything but eye rolling bored. This one was different.

Forever Odd- Dean Koontz- And see, I even read the second one. Of course, I only picked up the second one right away because I was waiting for…

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest- Stieg Larsson- So very glad that I am done with this series because it bored the hell out of me. There was so much in these pages I just didn’t care about. Yea. Now I can turn my attentions elsewhere.

A Blue So Dark- Holly Schindler- I bought this book because I thought the cover was really beautiful which just goes to show just how damn important the cover of a book is. I know we’re not supposed to judge a book on its cover but we’re not supposed to do a lot of things that we end up doing anyway. This is a young adult novel about a sixteen year old girl trying to deal with her mother’s schizophrenia. It’s a very interesting book with some beautiful writing in it.

Welcome To Vietnam- Zack Emerson- A novel written by Ellen Emerson White. It’s a young adult novel about the Echo Company, a group of men stationed in Vietnam. I read another of her novels The Long Road Home a while back and it referenced this series so I’ve been working on tracking this series down. This is the first. It's a good read with some great characters. But, of course, I feel the same way about everything that EEW writes so I'm not exactly impartial here.

And thus ends the month of September. As it is my habit this year, let's see where this puts me on the road to completing a goal...

September Books: 7
Year To Date Total: 80
Books Remaining: 20

Three months and twenty books. Okay. I can do this. I can totally do this. Probably. Note to self: don't set this goal again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment