Monday, September 13, 2010

Back In The Saddle Again


So I've ended the hiatus. You know, for all the good it's done me.

It wasn't supposed to be like this. When I ended the hiatus, I was supposed to sit down and write page upon page of sparkling dialogue and riveting prose. But instead what I've done is sit in front of my monitor and watch the cursor blink.

So maybe I haven't ended the hiatus after all.

Details.

I still don't know what to write. Or, maybe more accurately, how to write it.

Second Nature's main storyline seems to be going all right. I'm having a little trouble with the main character. She's being a pain in the ass. This is to be expected, I suppose, when one considers how often I've heard that this character most closely resembles myself. But still, the trouble with her is nothing I don't think I can overcome. It doesn't worry me. Just irks me a little. She's a pain but she's manageable.

I wish I could say the same for the secondary story lines. Second Nature, as you may know, is the continuation of the story I started to tell in Effigy which means there are story lines that have been carried over as is often the case when one is writing a series.

Stupid story lines.

These are the story lines that are giving me grief. These are the story lines that make me ponder the possibility of writing a big battle scene where the characters belonging to these story lines all die. The end.

Of course, I'd actually have to write the big battle scene and figure out how to get all the troublesome characters into the same place which would involve tweaking their story lines even more and-

And maybe I won't write a big character killing battle scene. Still, I don't think I'll rule it out completely. At least not yet.

I'm trying not to worry about it. It'll come when it comes. It always does.

Until it does come, I am reading and doing lots of deep thinking and making notes and not panicking. Nope, not panicking at all. It'll come when it comes. It always does.

At least yesterday I had the Pats game to help distract me. It was supposed to be followed up by the men's final at the U.S. Open but it was rained out. Instead I ended up watching The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (the Swedish version) and spent the entire time picturing Daniel Craig in the lead role (he's signed on to play the lead in the Hollywood version they're now filming or about to film or what have you). I read somewhere that in the Hollywood version, the actors are supposed to be speaking English but with Swedish accents. Maybe I'm a glass half empty girl, but this worries me and makes me think the film will end up sounding like this guy:



2 comments:

  1. It really bothers me when a movie is made using bad accents. I get it. Its German, or Hispanic, or Sedish, or Asian. I don;t need the accent. Just gie me a good movie with good acting and I'm happy.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're back to it. I hope you don't get saddle sore. I'm in the same boat (on the same horse trail?) as you. Trying to get the motivation in my belly. You'll get in the groove.

    ReplyDelete