Sunday, August 29, 2010

Insert Clever Title Here.

My copy of Suzanne Collins's novel Mockingjay is being held hostage by the United States Postal Service. Do they not realize that I've been waiting since January to get my hands on this book? I have literally been waiting ALL YEAR to read this book and now I am at the mercy of the post office. According to the package tracking, it's in Northborough Massachusetts. Been there for a few days now. I'm not sure what they're waiting for but I am seriously thinking about going down to wherever my book is being held and negotiating its release. Because I really want to read this book and until I do, I have to avoid all the spoilers out there in cyberspace because I do not want to know what happens ahead of time. So if you are one of the lucky ones who not only has a copy but has already finished said copy, please don't tell me anything.

That aside, the week since our homecoming has been very eventful. First and foremost, Joe and I regained the use of our legs. After MEGA HIKE, we were pretty damn lazy. Fortunately, it was a vacation so no one cared. Well, I cared a little. I get restless but there was no way I was going to convince Joe to go mountain biking. We were going to go kayaking but on our chosen day, there was entirely too much fog. We would have been lost in Frenchman's Bay forever. We did make it to the big annual town book sale where I managed to spent $20 and leave with two bags of paperbacks including a novel (Shades Of Grey) by Jasper Fforde. Score!

Just before we left, we had a conversation with one of the book sale volunteers about how I'm not the type who gives up a lot of books. Because I'm not.

"Oh," he said. "You're one of those."

You bet I am.

This reminds me...my sister-in-law sent me a link to an article (complete with before and after pictures) about a couple of book lovers who bought the house next door and remodeled it into a library. An entire two story house just for books. My first thought was "just think of all the books I could put in Marie's garage!" Joe's first thought was "those people need help." So I guess that means Joe will not be buying me a library house any time soon.

He, by the way, is also hoping that my copy of Mockingjay arrives soon, if for no other reason that it'll get me to shut up about the book not yet being here.

May the odds be ever in your favor...

2 comments:

  1. You crack me up. Glad you had a good vacation. Now by all means go track down that book in postal hell and make them release it! (I enjoy promoting craziness where ever I can.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vacations are great. But ultimately, there's no place like home. Unless you're on vacation. Which reminds me, I need to get out more.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete