Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Hiatus


I don't know where the Conway Daily Sun gets their horoscopes but they've always been very good to me. Eerily accurate in a lot of cases so I do tend to listen to them. One afternoon, I read my horoscope and it ended with "don't forget to return that library book" which was damn convenient because I did have a library book to return and I had forgotten about it. Weird, right?

The weirdest/awesomest example I have is a little over seven years old now. My horoscope ended with the line (and I kid you not) "A friend is pregnant with a boy."

Very strange, right? Exceptionally specific for a horoscope, I thought. But then, two weeks later, my best friend from high school told me she was pregnant. I asked her if she wanted me to tell her the sex of the baby. I immediately went home and dug through old newspapers until I found the one containing my very dead on accurate horoscope. She called me some time later, the day they did learn the sex of the baby, and guess what...it was a boy.

The boy is about to turn seven years old. Happy birthday, kiddo!

Anyway, so like I said before, I tend to follow their instructions. Seems the thing to do.

So that said, here's what the stars held for me today:

Get clear about what you are doing, and don't worry so much about how it will happen. As you focus on the effect you want to have, the details work themselves out.

This happens to be very timely advice because I have decided to go on a writing hiatus. This decision didn't come from this horoscope but seeing this in the paper today kind of let me know that I made the correct decision. The decision to go on hiatus.

The idea came out of the fact that as of last night, my plan for my WIP involved a fire pit and a box of matches. 153,000 words in the manuscript (thus far) and I hated them all. Hate them all.

So here's the new plan:

Stop writing.

No, really. That's it. The theory behind the hatred is that I've been focusing too much on it, working too hard, and trying to force something out for the sake of reaching a word count. The theory to remove the hatred is that if I distance myself from the project for a while (weeks, likely, as in more than one), I'll be able to come back to it with fresh eyes and a better attitude and more focus and- I don't know- other things like that. Renewed creativity. Less hatred. Less desire to start a bonfire and roast some marshmallows. Stuff like that.

So yes, this might be the final nail in the goal reaching coffin but I would rather write a book I am happy with than just write something with the aim of hitting a preset number of words or a date on a calendar. So if it takes years (oh please, don't let it take years), it takes years. Everything else will keep.

But it won't take years.

Probably.

So that's that. I don't exactly know what I'm going to do during my hiatus. The idea of not writing kind of makes me crazy. The key will be keeping busy. Thank goodness I didn't start Mark's Harry Potter blog yet. That'll kill an afternoon or two.

Two days down...a hell of a lot more to go.

1 comment:

  1. I feel you on the hiatus. I've been taking an unofficial hiatus myself. I think I should just declare it like you have to free myself from the guilt and stress of not writing.

    I'm sure you'll recharge. Especially with a time limit on your break. Good thinking.

    ReplyDelete