Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Deciding Not To Decide Is Still A Decision

Hello all.

The last time I blogged about writing was early May. The theme was "Where The Hell Do I Go From Here?" and I was contemplating the future of my currently nonexistent outside of my delightful home office writing career. I don't know if you know this but I spent most of May in a Really Bad Mood.

I'm trying to pull myself out of that right now. Sort of a 'fake it until you can make it' thing. I'm experiencing marginal success thus far. It's a work in progress, I know.

So I am here to report that I have (as you may have already guessed) decided to not decide. At least not at this point in time. And by that I mean I have no definite plans outside of researching my options. And while I research my options, I will continue writing Second Nature.

This is a complete turn around, I know, from the last writing blog where I announced that I was pretty much halting any and all work on Second Nature so I could instead focus on the problem that is Effigy. What do you do with a problem like Effigy? Turns out you ignore it and hope it goes away...

Not that I was ignoring it. I wasn't. I have pages of notes that I took, chock full of possibilities for that particular work. What happened is I found I was no good at halting any and all work on Second Nature because now I'm in that Second Nature mode and I set a stupid goal for myself back in January and once I set a goal (and blog about it so others know about the goal as well), I have a really hard time just letting that goal go. So I didn't.

The good news is I am now well past the 100,000 word mark. I'm sitting at 115,925. According to my daily word count monitor (which is a handwritten tally on a calendar), this is nearly a 12,000 word surplus.

Woo Hoo.

The less than good news is that I'm not currently in love with my main character. My heroine. I always hate to use the word 'heroine' because every time I used it back when I was teaching at delinquent school, the kids would snicker and then ask if I was the one needing to be in a program.

Ah, delinquents. Best birth control ever.

But anyway, my heroine is kind of a pain in the ass at the moment. I don't know why but I highly suspect her PITA-ness is directly linked to my grouchiness. My male lead is in a Really Bad Mood and my secondary male leads are still AWOL. So don't ask me how the hell I could possibly be sitting atop a 12,000 word surplus because I have no idea.

But I will certainly take it.

P.S...Joe asked me if the title of this blog was a Rush reference. Which it isn't. At least not an intentional one.

No comments:

Post a Comment