Wednesday, June 23, 2010

All Nighter

So it's about five thirty in the evening on Wednesday afternoon and I have been awake for well over twenty four hours now. I'm surprisingly awake.

I was supposed to work at The Store today but got a call Tuesday evening around this time telling me not to bother coming in because they didn't have anything for me to do. So while I'll miss the paycheck bump, I appreciate them calling me because it really sucks to go in and have nothing to do. I don't imagine that will last, however, because we're supposed to be getting an entirely new denim line in in the next couple of weeks and well, someone's going to have to unpack and then fold all of them.

Can't wait.

So instead of going to bed early last night, I stayed up. I hadn't really intended to stay up all night, it just kind of happened that way. I worked my way through Ellen Emerson White's White House Autumn because I recently decided to reread some of my favorite books to try and get my writing self back on track. I think it worked because I went straight from reading to the computer and started working.

I took a break around 4:30am because Big was sitting in the hallway crying because he really had to pee. So I took the dogs out and marveled at how light it really was at that time of morning and then went right back to work. I took another break around 7am because the cats were sitting on the steps crying because they were hungry. I tried to sleep a little then but it didn't work out very well. The Gator Girl had spent the night actually sleeping so she wasn't remotely tired. Instead, she ran up and down the hall chasing the cats (who are pissed as hell that the dogs are back in residence), trying to entice Big to play (good luck with that, Gator Girl) and, when that failed, jumping on the bed to see if I might be willing to give her a go but all I gave her was a shove off the bed pat on the head.

So sleeping didn't work out for me but it's all right. I didn't mind. I never mind when the trade off is a bump in writing productivity. Yes, my moods are entirely entangled with writing. When things are going well, I'm up, very, very up. When things are going less than well, I'm down. Down, down down. So I'm hoping this is the start of a nice upswing because I could use one.

It would be kind of like the Red Sox. For a while, their season was looking pretty dismal. But then I come home from Vegas, check the standings and find out we're only a game and a half back from first place. A game and a half. Do you know how awesome that is? Take that, sports writer from Sports Illustrated whose name I don't know who said the Sox's season was over in May. It ain't over until October.

Which is, coincidentally, the same month I'm supposed to have finished Second Nature. Wonder how that's going to play out. If last night is any indication, it'll work out just fine. What I do with it afterward still remains to be seen but, you know, there's still time to figure that out, right?

I spent most of the day today on the couch nursing a major, major pain in my side. I was worried it was appendicitis and actually contemplated calling Joe to have him take me to the walk in clinic (which should tell you just how badly it hurt because I was going to call Joe at work AND go to a doctor, two things I like to avoid at all costs) but then I snapped on the television and got sucked into watching Wimbledon instead where I watched American John Isner and Frenchman Nicolas Mahut play in an epic, classic match that had been carried over from the day before. The match had started on Tuesday and had been suspended after four sets on account of darkness. They started up again today and were tied at 59-59 in the fifth set when play was suspended for a second time on account of darkness. If you know anything about tennis and tennis scoring, you know how freaking insane and monumental that is. This match has lasted TEN hours thus far and isn't over yet. No, those poor guys have to come back again in the morning and do it all over again. I have nothing but mad respect for those two and I find it incredibly sad that one of them will have to lose. That said, I am rooting for John Isner which will likely end up being a millstone that will prevent Isner from pulling it out and for that, I deeply apologize.

There was also an earthquake today measuring 5.5 on the Richter Scale. It was in Toronto but we felt it here in the Valley. It's the third earthquake I remember feeling. The first had been based in New York and shook the whole damn house hard enough to wake both Joe and I up (I remember my first though was "what the hell are the cats doing now?"). The second was out of Bar Harbor, Maine. Joe really felt it and for a while had a hard time convincing me that what we had felt was an earthquake but (and don't tell him I said this) he was right. There are reports that it was felt as far away as New Jersey. Anyone out there feel it too?

Anyway, it's now after 6pm and I have to report for dinner duty. I'm hoping the pain in my side has subsided enough for me to be able to pull it off although I'm thinking it might be can of soup night. Too bad I already ate all the Double Chocolate Milano cookies. Those would have made a great dinner.

Until next time, everyone. Be sure to stick close to your doorways.

No comments:

Post a Comment