Friday, April 30, 2010

April 2010 Book Review

Hush, Hush- Becca Fitzpatrick- Urban fantasy about a high school girl with an absentee mother. She (the girl, not the mother) meets her supernatural lover (this time a fallen angel who must kill her in order to become human) in biology class. What is it about high school biology? This wasn’t a fantastic book but a pretty good read. There’s a sequel coming out at some point and I look forward to reading it when it does.

Gorgeous As Sin- Susan Johnson- The frivolous bodice ripping trashy romance novel that takes place before the one I read last month. I didn’t like it as much as its follow up, but it was still a fun frivolous read.

The Burning Land- Bernard Cornwell- The latest installment of the Saxon Chronicles. The only thing about these books is that they never end well because it’s not the end of the series. I like them though, I like them a lot, as evidenced by my willingness to read each and every one of them. I think no one writes battle scenes like Bernard Cornwell.

Plain Truth- Jodi Picoult- I haven’t read one of her book for a while but I really enjoyed this one. Often times, I find her novels to have a lot that rings untrue, that just feels like too easy too slick or something and I didn’t get that feeling much with this story. I had it some of the time, especially when the lawyer discovered she was pregnant. I also had no idea about the big mystery until the very last page.

Fallen- Lauren Kate- Another young adult urban fantasy novel about a high school girl who falls in love with an angel. I was a little worried she was going to meet him in biology class but this book veered away from that. They met in a past life. So it had a good premise but I was still left disappointed by it. I thought Hush, Hush was better executed. Maybe it’s because the main setting of this novel was a so called reform school with an alarmingly minimal amount of adult supervision. I don’t know. That said, I’ll still read the next book.

Hot Property- Susan Johnson- Should I be at all embarrassed by the number of frivolous romance novels I've read of late? So yeah. Another trashy romance novel. The first novel by this author that I’ve read that wasn’t a historical romance. I vastly prefer her historical romances. They seem less frivolous than this one did.

Split Image- Robert B. Parker- A Jesse Stone novel. Perhaps the last Jesse Stone novel. I’ve really come to love Jesse Stone. He took a couple of books for me to decide on love and not indifference but he made it. Unfortunately, both Sunny Randall and Susan Silverman were in this novel, Sunny in it a rather lot, so I enjoyed those parts less. So, see you later, Jesse. It’s been nice.

Animal Farm- George Orwell- I don't know what made me pick up this book to read but I did. What happens to Boxer always makes me sad.

The Quickie- James Patterson- Wow. What a crappy book.

So that makes....9 books for the month for a grand total of 38 books for the year. Which means I still have 62 books left to read by year's end if I'm going to make my goal. Go me.

No comments:

Post a Comment