Monday, March 1, 2010

February 2010 Book Review

Cut- Patricia McCormick- I read this book for the first time a couple of years ago. A scene I was working on in Second Nature made me think of it and so I picked it up again. It made me cry. Quite a bit, actually. I don’t remember it having that effect the first time I read it. Anyway, a good book.

Wake- Lisa McMann- I read this book for the first time last year. I reread it because the third in the series, Gone, was released this month and I wanted to refresh my memory. It’s a good series. Very interesting style about it. I’m curious how it’ll all turn out.

Fade- Lisa McMann- The second in her series.

Gone- Lisa McMann- The final installment in her series. I’m not yet sure how I feel about it. I think I was expecting more, but what more, I cannot say. It’s just a lot different that I thought it might be. I thought the first book started off so strongly and then the third one just kind of was. It didn’t feel like a final installment to me. Too many things still left unresolved.

Coal Black Horse- Robert Olmstead- I don’t know that I loved this book but I can certainly appreciate the craft and beauty of it. The front cover said something about it being shades of Cormac McCarthy and I totally get that reference. A very interesting read.

Early Autumn- Robert B. Parker- Don't mind me. I'm just continuing my journey through some of my favorite Spenser novels.

Small Vices- Robert B. Parker- Patricia Utley has a miniature bull terrier named Rosie. Just like Sunny Randall. I like Patricia Utley better though. I think my favorite scene in this book is when Susan’s friend comes to visit and brings her obnoxious brat of a daughter. Susan, after the friend and daughter have left, asks Spenser if he thought Pearl the Wonder Dog would have bitten the child. Spenser replies, “With proper coaching.” Hi-larious!!

The Moon Under Her Feet- Clysta Kinstler- A feminist retelling of the conception, birth, life and death of Christ as told by Mary Magdalene. Definitely not my usual fare, but a friend lent her copy to me, saying she really enjoyed it. Actually, she told me her father said she’d go to hell for reading this book. Since I figure I’m already going to hell for much worse things than reading this book, I didn’t worry about that part so much. The book itself is pretty good. It started off a little slow but definitely picked up. I personally thought it dragged a little bit toward the end- the parts that were, I don’t know, too bible-y or something (Biblical, maybe? Yeah. I'm a writer.). Maybe I’m going to hell for that comment right there. Yikes!

Alone- Lisa Gardner- Not my favorite of her books but not a bad read. I spent a lot of time kind of confused about what was going on and not in a good way, you know? I hear main character Bobby Dodge makes an appearance in another book so I’ll probably look for that one soon. I'm like that.

One For The Money- Janet Evanovich- Don’t know really what made me pick up this book again at this time. I think it’s been in my head since I read that Kim Harrison novel last month and had the Stephanie Plum thing going on. I really, really don’t like how Stephanie dresses. A minor thing, I know, but I just don’t like it. Ranger is also very different in this novel than he is in later novels. More personable and talkative, I guess.

Two For The Dough- Janet Evanovich- I don’t know how many more of these I’ll read right away. I’m curious about the Ranger character evolution. I am also having problems remembering the evolution of Stephanie’s relationship with Morelli. But I have always, always been a Morelli fan in that whole Morelli/Ranger debate.


February Total: 11 books. Year To Date Total: 22 books. That means I only have 78 books left to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment