Monday, February 1, 2010

Weekend Warrior

I hope everyone's weekend was satisfactory. Mine was interesting, I guess. I came away bruised, battered, creatively renewed (I hope that part will last) and in possession of some of the high scores in Link's Crossbow Training, which is, really, the most important thing, right?

This is not another thrilling tale of how I injured myself playing the Wii. The bruised and battered part had absolutely nothing to do with the Wii. That had to do with an ill-fated play session between the Gator Girl and two of her boy toys in obedience class.

The Gator Girl likes boys. She likes boys a lot. She's known as the Class Slut. That's how much she likes boys. And, for the most part, the boys like her too. So that's why I didn't expect the after school play session to take the turn it did. But, as they (whoever they are) say, you should be prepared for what can happen, not what probably won't happen.

I turned the Gator Girl loose in the agility yard with two of her boys, Tyson and Falco. They're both German Shepherds with whom she has played with successfully in the past. I don't know what happened this weekend. I don't know if it was the full moon. I don't know if they were just burnt out from obedience class. I don't know if she just pushed their prey drive to the breaking point that day or what but they were Not playing. They were nowhere near the vicinity of playing. They were biting at her, snapping at her, boxing her in and being all around Assholes. And because of the depth of the snow, the Gator Girl could not effectively run away.

So I went to her rescue.

Joe says I'm crazy to do what I did but I wasn't about to leave the Gator Girl in the midst of that so I put myself in there. I pulled one of them off her and muscled the other out of the way so I could get her away from them. It took a while because they were pretty insistent on eating my dog. I was not okay with them. The other two dog moms, the Hens, as I referred to them in earlier blogs, finally came to get their dogs and the Gator Girl and I left the agility yard.

I was left bruised and battered for my efforts. I am now sporting a pair of very large bruises above my right knee and I tweaked my hip but my Gator Girl is safe so it was well worth it. Besides, it's not even close to my worse dog related injuries. Those would be the broken fingers. One caused by each dog in a complete freak accident.

Ah, good times.

But moving on, after my bout against the mean German Shepherds, I came home to Link's Crossbow Training. I was irritated and in need of something to take my mind of the debacle in the agility yard (Joe maintains I need to let it go. Joe says that a lot but that is the sort of thing I cannot let go. Forgive and forget my ass.) so I turned to my trusty Wii and crossbow addiction to get my mind off things. It worked pretty well. Did I say last week that I wasn't any good at this Wii crossbow experience? Because I want to take that back.

I rock.

And yes, in the interest of full disclosure, I did go online to look for cheats. Turns out there really weren't any. There was that one about the scarecrow (if you hit it in the chest eight times in a row without missing, the pumpkin head gets really, really big and then you can hit it to get 1,000 points) that I tried but, as it turns out, the biggest hint is not really a hint after all. They put in right in the game's instructions. Before you begin each level, there it is, printed for all to see. Who would've thought reading and following the instructions would be the way to go?

So now I am a crossbow genius (except for the spider level. I pretty much avoid that one like the plague.). Well, maybe I'm not a genius but I am going to call myself one anyway. So if I'm a genius, that would make Joe some kind of crossbow savant because he still managed to kick my ass.

At least he's given me a goal for which to shoot. Yes, pun intended.

Speaking of goals, we're in February now and I am one month into my yearly goals. I was a little concerned about a writing wall I'd run into at the end of last week but I think I am in the process of pushing through it. I still have no idea where that lost meandering character has gone but I have every hope that he'll turn up when the time is right.

My target word count for the end of January was 20,398. I actually ended at 43,871. Not quite a NaNoWriMo novel, but pretty damn good, I think. I like the idea of being more than 23,000 words ahead. I hope I can stay 23,000 words ahead.

I'm not alone in this hope.

On Saturday, I was talking to a friend of mine, one of the few people who has read Effigy, about Suzanne Collins's novels The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. She'd just finished the first one and immediately had to start the second.

"Just wait until you finish it," I said. "You're going to be pissed that you have to wait until August to find out what happens next."

"I hate that," she said. "I hate when the author takes forever to write a book and you're waiting to find out what happens-"

"At least you only have to wait until- Oh," I said as I realized the author to whom she was referring was me. "I'm working on it. I swear."

"I spend nights lying awake wondering what's going to happen," she said then.

"Well, if it's any consolation," I said in response. "I'm doing the same thing."

May your week (and mine) be happy and productive.

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome thing for your friend to say. Bet that made you weekend boo boos feel better! Speaking of which, are you frickin' insane? You're like 100 pounds and you wade into the fray? Okay, I know. I'd do the same thing for one of my girl-ios.

    Very nice word count, by the way. Mine got halted by the synopsis. But I'll hopefully be back on track soon.

    ReplyDelete