Friday, January 15, 2010

Characters I Love

I read Sharon Kay Penman's novel The Queen's Man last week. It's the start of a medieval mystery series she writes that features a main character by the name of Justin de Quincy. This is one of those series that I like to read at least once a year and it's solely because I love the main character.

So this started me thinking about my favorite literary characters. I decided to first write a list and then I decided it would make a great blog post. Or at least a blog post. Greatness, to be determined. Elizabeth Bennett, by the way, will not be making an appearance on this list. I like her on the big screen, but less so on the page. Sorry, Lizzy. I'm sure you're crushed. Anyway, here's who did make the cut:

1. Meghan Powers from the President's Daughter series by Ellen Emerson White. If you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you'll know just how much I adore these books and this character. This is not to say I don't equally adore the rest of the characters in Meg's life. Because I do. Preston, Beth, Josh and Steven get special shout outs though. And let me say it again (because I just can't seem to say it enough), I do not like Jack. Meg, you can do better.

2. Justin de Quincy from The Queen's Man series by Sharon Kay Penman. He's just such a good guy. I especially love his interactions with Claudine once he discovers her betrayal and then, in later books, his interaction with his infant daughter, Aline. Plus, he has a dog he saved from drowning. Awwww. The sad thing is, I heard from Ms. Penman herself that there are no more Justin books on the horizon just yet as her publisher would rather her focus be on other books. She assures me, however, that Justin is not dead. He's on life support. If you're on Facebook, do me a favor, please, and join the "Fans of Justin de Quincy" page.

3. Spenser from Robert B. Parker's Spenser series. His wit, his charm, his moral code, his ability to quote the literary classics...Spenser is perhaps the perfect man. I also adore Hawk and the rest of the gang. I am not, however, enamored with Susan Silverman. I realize this could potentially make me unpopular with Spenser fans but I can't help it. I just don't like the woman. Sorry.

4. Jon Snow from George R.R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series. He's a great character in a series filled with some real stand outs. A special shout out to Tyrion Lannister for being just freaking awesome.

5. Katniss Everdeen from Suzanne Collins's Hunger Games series. The newest addition to the list and a most worthy one at that. Have you read these books? Well, do so and then you'll know instantly why I had to have her on this list. Peeta and Haymitch and Cinna get shout outs too.

6. Dicey Tillerman from Cynthia Voigt's Tillerman Saga. She's quiet and determined and tough and everything a young heroine should be. Shout outs for the rest of the Tillermans as well as Mina and Jeff.

7. Fred and George Weasley from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series. This was a tough call because I like Harry, Ron and Hermione just fine so they'd get shout outs but Fred and George are awesome. I particularly applaud their efforts to make Umbridge's life a living hell in the fifth book. And I'm not going to mention what happens in the seventh book...it's still too painful.

8. Phineas from John Knowles's classic novel A Separate Peace. I like Gene too, naturally, and maybe it's a cop out, picking Finny, but I can't help but like the guy. Which, of course, is the point.

9. Jack from William Golding's classic novel Lord of the Flies. I don't know if I can properly explain this one but there's something about Jack, a quality he has, and something about his experiences on the island that really got to me.

10. Grandma Mazur from the Stephenie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. This woman is a real pip. She's always good for a laugh and really, you just want to hug the stuffing out of her.


Honorable Mentions:

1. Llewelyn ap Iorwerth from Sharon Kay Penman's novel Here Be Dragons

2. Nick Carroway from The Great Gatsy by F. Scott Fitzgerald

3. Kimberly Quimby (and family) from the Quimby family cycle by Lisa Gardner

4. Tasslehoff Burrfoot from the Dragon Lance novels by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

5. Derfel from Bernard Cornwell's King Arthur series.


Anyway, that does it for me so now I leave it to you. Who are some of your favorite literary characters?

1 comment:

  1. I liked that you not only listed books you like, but why, and the "why" always seems to be a character.

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete