Sunday, December 13, 2009

Holiday Favorites

So I am newly back from my first holiday get together of the season, drove home in a snowstorm and am now watching Elf so I thought I'd write a blog about my favorite things...the holiday edition.

Let's start with movies:

1. Elf starring Will Farrell. I don't always like Will's movies but I love this one. Buddy getting hit by the cab, Buddy hitting all the floor buttons in the elevator, the Etch a Sketch note (sorry I crammed eleven cookies in the VCR)...the whole damn thing is hysterical. I can't watch it too many times. Joe would like to disagree.

2. White Christmas starring Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye and Rosemary Clooney and Vera Ellen. That scene where Bing and Danny lipsync "Sisters" is just freaking hysterical. Great music and dance and humor. Don't blink or you'll miss it one liners.

3. It's A Wonderful Life starring Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed. Though it wasn't intended as a Christmas movie, it's a great holiday treat.

4. Scrooge, the 1970 musical version starring Albert Finney as the title character. The music is a lot of fun. The honorable mention goes to Disney's A Christmas Carol.

5. A Christmas Story: Although I can't watch TBS's twenty four hour marathon, I'm good for at least one viewing. You'll shoot your eye out, kid!


Television Specials

1. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: I was watching this just last night. Loved all the "Let's get the women home" talk. Plus, I heard tale that the doll on the island of misfit toys is on the island of misfit toys because she had psychological issues...Yikes!

2. In Excelsis Deo, The West Wing, season one. This is the Christmas episode where the homeless vet dies and has Toby's card in his coat pocket. This episode established a longstanding tradition of holiday episode excellence from this series.

3. Noel, The West Wing Season Two, the episode where Josh is experiencing some post traumatic symptoms.

4. The He-Man/She-Ra Christmas: Don't know if you've ever heard of this one but it's very bad in an awesome way. There are two human kids (Alicia and Manuel or Miguel) who are kidnapped by Skeletor for some reason and along the way, the troublesome tots teach Skeletor the true meaning of Christmas. And there's a puppy. It's hi-larious! Check out this section of awesomely bad dialogue:

Manuel/Miguel: `Christmas is lots of fun. We get presents and we do a lot of fun things.'

Skeletor: `You mean you get in FIGHTS!'

Alisha: `No we do FUN things.'

Skeletor: `But fights are FUN.'

5. The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis, The Big Bang Theory Season Two. This episode is most notable for the very end where Penny gives Sheldon a napkin signed by Leonard Nimoy. Jim Parsons's reaction is absolutely priceless.


Holiday Music

1. The Twelve Pains of Christmas: This song cracks me up, especially the guy rigging up the lights when, at the end, he's all "You're so smart, you rig up the lights!"

2. O Holy Night: It's just pretty.

3. O Come All Ye Faithful: Another one of my favorites to sing

4. O Come O Come Emmanuel: See above.

5. Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer: This makes the list because, my senior year of high school, we had a German exchange student stay with us and, one day, in the car, this song came on and my mother said, "Oh, have you heard 'Grandma got run over by a reindeer' to which our exchange student said "Oh no! She did?" And hilarity ensued!

Before I close, I'd also like to give a special shout out to the Christmas scene in the first Harry Potter film where Harry and Ron are tiny and adorable and Harry's all excited that he actually has presents. Too cute!

Anyway, that about does it for me tonight. But tell me: What are some of your favorite holiday things?

No comments:

Post a Comment