Tuesday, December 29, 2009

December 2009 Book Report

Taboo- Susan Johnson- A nice trashy romance novel to kick off my post NaNoWriMo existence. God, I love her books. It’s just one elaborate sex scene after another with some semblance of a plot thrown in in between. Super fun!

The Hunger Games- Suzanne Collins- Wow. Just freaking Wow. This is an amazing freaking book. It’s probably the most intense book I’ve read in a good long while and the first since probably Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows that I just literally couldn’t put down. If you haven’t read this book, you really should. Just have a big block of time set aside for it just in case…

Catching Fire- Suzanne Collins- August will be a long time coming. Must. Have. Third. Book. Now.

City of Bones- Cassandra Clare- The first in the Mortal Instruments series. This came recommended by a friend and so I read it. I didn’t like it as much as Suzanne Collins’s novels, not by a long shot, but it’s an all right read.

City of Ashes- Cassandra Clare- The second in the Mortal Instruments series. I hated, hated, hated what Clare did to poor Simon. I hated, hated, hated the constant “he’s dead! No, wait, he isn’t. No, he’s dead. No, wait, he isn’t” Simon’s too good a character and while I suppose I am happy that they finally landed on the “no he isn’t” side of that debate, it’s still asinine. And I am also concerned about the Clary/Jace thing. Book Three better straighten that out and post hasty, because, like I said, it’s concerning. Big props, however, to the scene where Simon reads the “Coming Out To Your Parents” pamphlet. Hi-larious.

City of Glass- Cassandra Clare- The third book in the Mortal Instruments series. They resolved the Clary/Jace thing at least. I can’t decide if I liked this series or hated it. But it did get me to go out and buy all three books (the last in hardcover because it isn’t available in paperback until this summer) so maybe whether I liked it or not doesn’t matter. I liked most of it. There were parts that felt too juvenile to me, which is probably dumb to say given that it’s an young adult series but I’ve read a lot of young adult fiction and not all of them have those moments. Suzanne Collins’s novels, for instance, did not have those moments. This series did.

No comments:

Post a Comment