Thursday, November 12, 2009

Getting Back On Track (Maybe)...

I was originally calling this entry "Weekend Wrap Up" before I realized it was Thursday and not Monday. Weird, huh? Well, I blame Veteran's Day. Holidays need to be on a Monday because Joe has these days off and usually the only days we have off together are Saturday and Sunday. But he had yesterday off, as did I, and now I think it's Monday.

I do not want to think it's Monday. I'm perfectly happy with it being Thursday.

Except that it being Thursday the 12th means I'm (in theory) supposed to be at 20,000 in my NaNoWriMo Project and well, I'm not. I'm currently, as of this moment, at 17,166 words. Which, all things considered, is not an insignificant number of words. That's more fiction than a lot of people will create in their whole entire lives. But what I'm seeing is a deficit of almost 3,000 words and still no real plot to help me catch up.

That book I mentioned earlier this week, Bird by Bird, uses a quote from E.L. Doctorow that says, "writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way." The point being that you don't need to see your final destination but rather the two or three feet in front of you.

Well, let me just tell you that the two or three feet in front of me are probably the most boring two or three feet ever.

I'm trying to take the track of writing scenes I know need to be there which, I hope, will lead to scenes to connect A to B and C and so on. So I'm gearing up to write a sex scene and the morning after scene because, as I am attempting to write a chick lit novel, a sex scene seems kind of inevitable. Only I'm not sure I know enough about the main characters' motivations and whatnot in order to write a successful sex/morning after scene. That may not make sense to anyone who isn't me and, if so, I apologize for that.

My horoscope today maintains that I'll be hitting the bullseye soon. And sooner than I think. I'm looking forward to that.

But right now I am looking forward to taking the dogs outside for a romp in the yard as it is fairly warm outside and completely dry. This will likely be followed by a batch of chocolate chip muffins (just add milk!) and me staring at the monitor and a little blinking cursor which I probably won't accuse of mocking me. Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment