Thursday, May 28, 2009

Trimming The Fat

I love music. I love all kinds of music. Really, I don't think there is a genre that I hate just on principle. I like pop, rock, metal, jazz, broadway, choral, punk, garage, folk, whatever. Name a genre and I can name at least one song I like within that genre. Granted, it might just be the one song, but still, that's something.

I like to stumble across new music. Fox's So You Think You Can Dance is back for the summer and I love this show, not just because of the dancing, but also because it never fails to introduce me to a new musical artist without whose music I could not carry on. Last summer it was Anouk and Charlotte Martin. Don't know who it'll be this summer. I'll have to ask Mia Michaels because traditionally, her routines are the ones that really get me.

I used to get a lot of music from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Veronica Mars. My music now seems to be coming from House and Bones. And even occasionally, Grey's Anatomy and Supernatural (as a totally unrelated to this blog side note, click here to go to the Offical Ghostfacers webpage!). I don't know who has the the job of finding music to accompany these shows, but they're awesome at it.

Anyway, some of you may be looking at the title of this blog and saying, "I don't get it. Why is she talking about music and not, say, cooking or dieting?" And the answer would be (mostly) that I don't cook or diet. But also because this entry is about music. And how much I love it.

I bought an iPod a while back. Last summer maybe? I don't really remember but I do remember going to Wal Mart and spending a lot of time in front of the iPod display, trying to pick out the one I wanted. All I knew was that I couldn't get a purple one because, even though I really did like the purple, Assistant Manager Heidi had just purchased herself a purple iPod and there was no way on earth I was going to have one too. So I settled on blue.

But then came the debate about what size to get. The 8GB or the 16GB. My very first iPod was a 4GB so 8GB seemed absolutely enormous but still, there was the allure of having even more space but I eventually shrugged it off figuring that I'd never even come close to filling the 8GB, so what the hell would I ever need twice that much for?

Fast forward to last night when I was adding music to my iPod and the little message window came up, declaring that there wasn't enough space.

"Shit," I said. "I need a bigger iPod."

Which, of course, I don't. What I do need is to cut out some of the music already on there in order to make more room for the new stuff. Thus the whole 'trimming the fat' thing.

But I don't know what to cut out.

I started with the videos. I have three videos on my iPod. The first is Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. And yeah, there's no chance that's getting deleted even though I have it on DVD. It's staying. As in forever and ever.

The other two are both episodes of Robot Chicken, specifically their Star Wars episodes. They're hi-larious and I am not yet at the point where I would be willing to part with either one. Seth McFarland is a freaking riot. Here's a clip (I hope) from one of them:



So yeah. Can't get rid of the videos. That leaves the music. But, I love music. The obvious place to start is with the free music I downloaded from amazon. I liked it enough to download for free but if it comes down to my new love Mazzy Star or some random gomer I only downloaded because it didn't cost me anything (it could be said that I am addicted to downloading music...but at least it was free!), then bye-bye random gomer. I did keep the song "Talking Old Soldiers" by Bettye LaVette because it's freaking awesome. But the rest of them were gone. Well, I did also keep one song by the Benjy Davis Project because I just like it.

Then I debated deleting the music I put on my iPod to appease Joe. This is the music Joe is really into and me, not so much, but I put it on the iPod because I insist on listening to it on long car rides and figure if he has to listen to the Dr. Horrible soundtrack (also non-deletable.) or Kelly Clarkson and ABBA, then isn't it only fair that he has the opportunity to listen to Tesla or INXS. But again, if it comes down to my music or his, I mean...it is my iPod, you know?

But I can't delete his stuff. At least not yet. It goes into the reserve category.

Next are the artists who have a majority of space on my iPod. They are Ani DiFranco, The Kinks, and Placebo. Can't delete any of them either. And I've already whittled down A Perfect Circle, My Chemical Romance, Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam, PJ Harvey and Harry and the Potters down to my absolute favorite tracks.

This leaves me with the artists I like but don't necessarily love. The artists I end up skipping the most while I search for a song I'm really in the mood to listen to. I skip Tesla EVERY TIME it comes on, unless Joe is in the car. I skip INXS 8 out of 10 times because there are a couple of their songs I like but in a take it or leave it world, I would mostly leave it. But again, Tesla and INXS are still untouchables. I think that leaves James and The Shins. Some of those tracks are just going to have to be cut. It's not looking good for Disturbed either.

But, I guess, in a world in 8GB is all one has, then these are the choices one has to make.

Damn you, Tesla. Damn you, INXS.

No comments:

Post a Comment