Wednesday, February 18, 2009

25 Albums...Another Facebook Time Waster...

Here's what you do:

"Think of 25 albums that had such a profound effect on you they changed your life or the way you looked at it. They sucked you in and took you over for days, weeks, months, years. These are the albums that you can use to identify time, places, people, and emotions.

When you finish, tag 15 others, including me. Make sure you copy and paste this part so they know the drill. Get the idea now? Good. Tag, you're it!"

Melissa's Note: This is, to the best of my abilities, a chronological list. Please be kind and remember, I am an 80's child.

1. The Muppet Movie Soundtrack- Had the LP and I listened to it a lot. This is the first album I can remember really listening to. A lot. Especially "Rainbow Connection"...someday, we'll find it.

2. Michael Jackson- Thriller. Yep. I, along with my siblings and our neighbors, listened and danced to this (particularly the title track) in our basement. A lot. We even wore gloves. One each, of course. Because we were that cool.

3. Madonna- True Blue. I danced around my room a lot to this album. Papa Don't Preach and Live To Tell.

4. Tiffany- Her self titled debut album from her mall touring years. "I Think We're Alone Now" was my dance track and "Could've Been" was, like, my favorite song ever. Hey, I was eleven. Don't judge.

5. Debbie Gibson- Electric Youth- I repeat. Don't judge.

6. Def Leppard- Hysteria- This tape my friend, Amanda, and I listened to a lot. Much, I am sure, to the absolute delight of our parents. Pour Some Sugar On Me.

7. Cinderella- Long Cold Winter- For when Amanda and I weren't listening to Def Leppard. You Don't Know What You've Got 'Till It's Gone.

8. Guns N Roses- Appetite For Destruction. My mother didn't want me to buy this tape because there were skulls on the cover. So when I did finally get the album, I listened to it constantly. Because I could. Welcome to the jungle, you sweet child of mine.

9. Poison- Open Up And Say Ahhhh.. My mother let me buy this tape because it did not have skulls on the cover, just guys wearing eyeliner. Loved Every Rose Has Its Thorn. Still kind of do.

10. Phantom of the Opera (Original 1986 Cast Recording)- The very first CD I bought. I listened to this one during middle school. Thanks, Mr. Nick.

11. Les Miserables (The Complete Symphonic Recording)- My older sister's influence. I listened to this one so much I was once able to sing every single note of this amazing musical. "On My Own" was my, perhaps predictable, favorite.

12. John Rutter's Requiem- More choral influence at work here. It's really an amazing piece of music. I still enjoy listening to it. It's good music to write by.

13. Violent Femmes- Add It Up- This was the influence of Mirjam, my family's much cooler than me German exchange student my senior year of high school. Waiting For The Bus is still one of my all time favorite songs.

14. Counting Crows- August And Everything After- This CD serenaded my first semester of college. Anna Begins is probably my favorite track from the entire album.

15. Alanis Morissette- Jagged Little Pill- This CD seldom left my stereo my second semester of college. Much, I am sure, to the delight of my dormmates.

16. Dave Matthews Band- Under The Table And Dreaming- The CD I listened to when I wasn't listening to Alanis. "Lover Lay Down" was my favorite.

17. Jewel- Pieces of You. The tape Joe and I listened to in the car nonstop for a long time in the early days of our relationship. Joe was so nice back then...

18. Evanescence- Fallen. Yeah. We listened to this one a lot too, as to which my brother and sister in law can attest. Hope it didn't make that road trip to North Carolina much longer for you...

19. Ani DiFranco- tie between Dilate and Little Plastic Castle. Once Joe got me to listen, I didn't seem to want to stop. Still don't.

20. A Perfect Circle- Thirteenth Step. My God, I love this album. It's constantly in my CD player now.

21. Buffy The Vampire Slayer Soundtrack- I think this is probably self explanatory.

22. My Chemical Romance- Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge- This album is just damn cool. I love "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)" and "The Ghost Of You"

23. The Kinks- The Ultimate Collection- "Everybody's Gonna Be Happy" is perhaps the best song ever written. I listen to it whenever I need to improve my mood.

24. Trespassers William- Tie between all four of their albums. First discovered this band after watching the season six Buffy episode "Gone." Have been obsessed with them ever since.

25. Laurel Brauns- Swimming. A Celtic folk singer from the Mount Washington Valley area, but now living in Oregon. I was introduced to her by my friend CB and immediately fell in love. She is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment